Heavy clutch & light bars! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-21-2008, 6:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 30

Heavy clutch & light bars!

Can anyone advise on two problems that I have? I've had the bike about 3 months - 2002 954 Blade.
1) The clutch is VERY heavy on the wrist and gives me great pain after only 50 miles of riding.
2) The steering shakes very violently (FULL "tank slappers") under acceleration if I hit a bump, pot-hole or even road markings (ie white lines etc). I think the original 2002 954 had steering head taper-rolling bearings that were too sensitive and could be replaced with ball-races under Honda warranty. But the bike is now 6yrs old. Can I get a Honda dealer to change them free of charge? I don't want to pay out for a steering damper that costs about £300.

PEM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-24-2008, 9:00 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Heavy clutch & light bars!

I dont remember if this bike has a cable clutch or hydraulic? If it is a cable, it may be out of adjustment or just too far stretched or rusty build up inside causing it to stick. This happened on my bike (2006 Kawasaki Z750) and I installed a new clutch cable. It was smooth as butter to shift afterwards. Took almost no effort to pull in the clutch.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-24-2008, 9:04 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Only Honda could answer if they would allow it under warranty. There is usually a time set on the work; so you might be SOL.

I would check the tires, air pressure and the suspension setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-27-2008, 10:44 AM

Reputation Power: 0

These bikes need a decent steering dampner. Also being that its an older bike u might want to look to freshen the fork oil and if u wiegh anything over 150lbs look into geting new fork springs with a higher rate. For the clutch I would find out if the previouse owner put stronger springs in there
post #5 of 5 Old 11-27-2008, 11:02 AM

Reputation Power: 36

New clutch cable should make a huge difference and also lubricate your lever pivot.
According to the fish I looked at, the head bearings are ball type. The usual suspects are head bearing condition and adjustment. Notchy and looseness.
Front tire condition and balance.
I don't imagine Honda would help much.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page