advice nearside crankcase hairline cracks - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-22-2008, 4:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

advice nearside crankcase hairline cracks

i dropped my bike a few weeks ago going around a left hand bend. I was really pissed off as my bike is old but was spotless, so i have spent £800 repairing the damage. At least the engines and frames ok i thought , only to find two hairline cracks, not in the cover but the crankcase itself (cover was replaced as it was scraped and leaking oil). At the moment the cracks are not leaking oil but my question is, will these cracks get worse over time and if they do can they be repaired or can the crankcase be replaced or do i have to get a new engine? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by cbr900091177; 11-23-2008 at 9:33 AM. Reason: correct text
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-22-2008, 5:38 PM

Reputation Power: 36

Re: advice nearside crankcase hairline cracks

If you could provide a pic it would be better to see. I assume it's the alternator cover and if the cracks are in the bolt holes for the cover they may spread as it's tightened so be careful not to overtighten. When the cover is in place it'll probably make the area more rigid. If it's not leaking oil don't worry about it. I don't think it'll get worse.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-22-2008, 6:03 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzee View Post
If you could provide a pic it would be better to see. I assume it's the alternator cover and if the cracks are in the bolt holes for the cover they may spread as it's tightened so be careful not to overtighten. When the cover is in place it'll probably make the area more rigid. If it's not leaking oil don't worry about it. I don't think it'll get worse.
to be honest i dont think you would see them in a pic but ill try tomorrow when its daylight.yes its the alternator cover, one crack is in a bolt hole.ill keep my fingers crossed.thanks denzee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-22-2008, 6:09 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

A crack means that area was stressed and it no longer strong as it once was. Will it get worse? You cannot say yes or no.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page