Dan Kyle work question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 11-25-2003, 5:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Dan Kyle work question

I've decided to stick with my 954 for at least another year or two and next season will throw in a few race weekends in addition to regular track days.

So... i need to upgrade my suspension. What does Kyle do to the forks? The name i consistently hear in regards to forks is traxxion but have also heard kyle is somewhat of a blade expert and is also cheaper.

On the website i see the pricing is $330 for revalving. Does this include stiffer springs as well?

How about shipping costs?

thx for the help,
ger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-25-2003, 6:42 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: Dan Kyle work question

Dan Kyle is the man on Blades and RC's, you can't go wrong with his work. Regarding pricing and shipping, call him. kyleusa.com

Jeremy Lucas
(00 929 R/W)
(00 Muzzy ZRX)
(00 929 Y/B)
(97 VFR750)
(89 FZR400)
post #3 of 27 Old 11-25-2003, 8:14 AM

Reputation Power: 31

The $330 is for the revalving. He also polishes which helps greatly with the stiction problem. The springs aren't included in the $330...they're about another $100. I forget what shipping was...I think I paid $40 to send them, but that's because I went through one of those ripoff Mailboxes, Etc. places. It probably would've been cheaper to go to UPS directly.

Anyway, the improvement is great! I also added an Ohlins rear shock while I was at it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-25-2003, 10:14 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 32

Dan is the way to go. He won't push you to buy something you don't need.
post #5 of 27 Old 11-25-2003, 2:40 PM

Dan is reworking a set of forks right now for me.

Dan hurt his knee, so I talked to a shop employee (Sorry I forgot his name, but was very nice and informative). He stated that sometime Dan does not replace the front springs on 954 forks, if they don't need it. I weigh 185lbs so I fit right into the I might have to replace the spring section. He said Dan doesn't push new spring unless he thinks they need it, due to weight, ridiing style or weakness of stock springs.

Exactly like Tigerblade said "He won't push you to buy something you don't need". If you really want new spring, he'll install it, but he'll give you his honest opinion on the matter.

So far, I'm very pleased with every deal I've done with Dan Kyle Racing.

Rick
post #6 of 27 Old 11-25-2003, 2:53 PM

Dude, if you weigh 185, you really should get new springs. I weigh about the same and the first time I went to Mid Ohio on the stock forks they chattered like crazy on the brakes.
Edit: The difference between stock and DK reworked is well worth the $450 it cost me(including shipping), the front end is no longer mushy and vague feeling and absorbs bumps much better. If you weigh over ~165, I'd spring for the springs too!

Last edited by slowpoke; 11-25-2003 at 2:59 PM.
post #7 of 27 Old 11-25-2003, 3:08 PM

Slowpoke - I was just on the phone with Dan Kyle Racing. I talked to them about upgrading to the Ohlins springs for the forks.

Rick
post #8 of 27 Old 11-25-2003, 3:22 PM

Good call, now you'll actually be able to get the sag below 40mm!
post #9 of 27 Old 11-25-2003, 3:32 PM

I'm happy with my fork job from DK but wonder if I missed out not getting new valves. I know a traxxion fork job will run about 650$ but you will get all new valves instead of reworked valves/shimms. I suggest DK fork work and trash the stock springs...they are useless no matter what wieght you are. Use it for a year and if you get serious about racing then maybe spring for real valves if you feel you need more adjustment.
post #10 of 27 Old 11-25-2003, 3:49 PM

Reputation Power: 25

I like my Kyle reworked forks just fine.

I don't know if you'd gain a thing with different valves. Dan reworks the stock ones to do the job fine. Just because it costs more doesn't mean it will end up any better.

I've done lots of track days, and the forks have been pretty solid. It was worth the money. I had him put in new springs too. I couldn't ride this hard if I had not had them done.

It's a good deal.
post #11 of 27 Old 11-25-2003, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tigerblade
He won't push you to buy something you don't need.

His site is full of things that I need. Ohlins, DynoJet, Blackstone, Arata, DID, Sato...

post #12 of 27 Old 11-25-2003, 4:00 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 32

Dan doesn't replace the stock valves because the ones from Honda are typically good enough. Traxxion will try to sell you all their services and tell you you're crazy and/or have a death wish if you don't buy it all.

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #13 of 27 Old 11-25-2003, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 02FBlade
I'm happy with my fork job from DK but wonder if I missed out not getting new valves. I know a traxxion fork job will run about 650$ but you will get all new valves instead of reworked valves/shimms. I suggest DK fork work and trash the stock springs...they are useless no matter what wieght you are. Use it for a year and if you get serious about racing then maybe spring for real valves if you feel you need more adjustment.
If you were to walk through the shop that makes the Axxion valves, you wouldn't even think about using them. They are CNC cut and then finished by a gentleman known to everyone around here as "$hithook". They really offer no advantage over the Showa valves and in fact aren't made correctly to accommodate a regulated flow (the holes are too big, and the flow is determined almost entirely by the shim stack).

All you get is an asspacking from Traxxion for 650.00 . . .
post #14 of 27 Old 11-25-2003, 5:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by abtech
If you were to walk through the shop that makes the Axxion valves, you wouldn't even think about using them. They are CNC cut and then finished by a gentleman known to everyone around here as "$hithook". They really offer no advantage over the Showa valves and in fact aren't made correctly to accommodate a regulated flow (the holes are too big, and the flow is determined almost entirely by the shim stack).

All you get is an asspacking from Traxxion for 650.00 . . .
So many conflicting reports on this subject. The WERA msg boards have had some very heated debates, even between max of traxxion and dan kyle themselves.

Some swear by traxxion others hate them. I'll probbaly go with kyle. He has a good rep with fireblades and offers a good price.
post #15 of 27 Old 11-25-2003, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gerry
So many conflicting reports on this subject. The WERA msg boards have had some very heated debates, even between max of traxxion and dan kyle themselves.

Some swear by traxxion others hate them. I'll probbaly go with kyle. He has a good rep with fireblades and offers a good price.
Many members here have had a good laugh at the threads on WERA, especially when Max admits he is usually drunk when he posts some of his "scathing" remarks. My experience with Traxxion has been all bad, and very inconsistent (told the complete opposite answer to the same question every other call).

Max has thrown rocks at everyone and now some of them are coming back to smack him, especially with regards to Ohlins . . .

and just to clarify a point, the Axxion valves are not made by Traxxion, Max or Penske or anyone else who is involved with the suspension business. They are made in a little hole in the wall machine shop in Holland, Michigan.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page