'94 CBR 900RR Backfiring - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-24-2008, 2:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

'94 CBR 900RR Backfiring

Hey guys,
So I came home Friday night from College for Thanksgiving week, and I started up my bike. There was fuel pouring out everywhere. My friend and I noticed it was coming from the carbs, so we narrowed it down to the o-rings on the fuel tubes that go into the carbs from the fuel lines. We replaced those and it there is no leak. Before this happened, my bike used to have a power decrease in the 5-8,000 rpm range or so, and then it would kick back up. Now after taking the carbs apart to replace the o-rings, the powerband has completely changed and I get a whole ton more power and it seems to be going the way it should be. It's no longer whimping out on me, however, now when I let go of the throttle, or downshift, it starts to backfire. Because my friend dropped my keyes under the tank the last day I was home in August, he came over a few weeks ago to take the tank off to get them, and he called me up asking where a hose should be attached that goes from the front of the air filter. I don't remember seeing a loose house before when I was working on it this summer, but when I looked at it on Saturday it was there. It just goes around the air filter and leads to nowhere. Also, there are some carb vent tubes that go to a plastic housing, and it has a port for the same size hose as the loose one, but there is no way it can reach it. Basically I'm trying to get rid of the backfiring, and thought I'd give as much info as possible to the circumstances. Thanks for any help and advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-24-2008, 5:32 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Re: '94 CBR 900RR Backfiring

Just sounds like your running a bit rich, probably explains the increase in power also. It is probably just a bit of unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust. You probably inadvertantly adjusted your carbs while tinkering, dont forget you will need th balance them as well.
I am not 100% sure, but the hose sounds like the drain from the air filter. If it is, it should have a bung in the end that needs to be removed every once in a while to drain off any water that might build up in your airbox, I might be way wrong on that but thats how it worked on a few of my old bikes.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-24-2008, 5:35 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

Oh ok yeah that might explain it. I'm also having problems with my idle now. I've adjusted it a few times with the idle speed control, but it doesn't always cut it. If I'm going for a while at higher RPMs and then come to a stop, say a red light, the idle will go to around 1100, and then as time goes on continuously drop until it kills the motor. It happened all day yesterday. I couldn't find the hose or even the other hose housing on my Hane's Manual. It's just puzzling! Thanks for the help I'll probably have to take the tank off anyways so when it comes to that I'll post pictures of what I'm talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-24-2008, 5:40 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Yeah, sounds like the carbs are out of balance. Dodgy tickover is a dead giveaway!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page