Boring the 929/954? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 11-25-2008, 9:34 PM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Boring the 929/954?

I want to bore my 954 1mm.
I know it can be done as several companies make +1mm piston kits for the
929 and 954.
So, I requested a price for re-plating the cylinders locally.
The response I received this morning:

" I believe the CBR954RR has an Alusil bore. If this is the case they are not suitable to just bore and coat with the our coating. Firstly we need to manufacture thin wall alloy sleeves, bore the block,install the alloy liners and then coat and hone them. The approx cost to do this modification could be as high as A$4000 depending on the block casting. It is a very time consuming mod and the materials are not cheap."

Before I ask them what the hell they're on about is anybody aware of a 929 or 954 that has been re-plated regardless of whether they've been bored?
Does anybody know of somebody willing to simply re-plate the bores for me?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-26-2008, 9:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Re: Boring the 929/954?

you have to remember that these engines are made to be as light as possible (ie as little metal as possible). that being said, the 954 is a 929 engine with a 1mm bore, giving it an extra 25 cc's. I remember a while back on this site people mentioning that 954 was pretty much the most they could get out of that engine, so it makes sense that there would be an extensive process to re enforce the engine and take no chances if you were to bore the 954. In terms of cost... thats another story.

What are the chances that you pick up a newer 1000rr engine and try to fit that into the 954? whole engine prices (used) seem to be cheaper than trying to make a 979cc blade.
post #3 of 29 Old 11-26-2008, 9:41 AM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

The 929 and the 954 can both be over-bored 1mm maximum due to the thin liners. The 954 bored 1mm leaves just 4mm of aluminium between the cylinders.
The reason they're giving for re-sleeving is not a matter of strength or lack of material but simply the incompatibility of their coating with Honda's. Their cost would be the same even to simply replate the bores without boring them.
If I have to install new liners I'll happily do so as I'd already considered iron liners as an option as perhaps allowing me to bore it a little further and being stronger than the cast aluminium.
I'm not trying to make a 979cc Blade as I'm also stroking the crank - the boring would simply be a small bonus.
I already know I can have the OEM cylinders bored here for A$240 but I haven't found anybody to plate them.
Since the plating is only 6-10 thou thick in the surface I can't see why it would matter if the coatings aren't compatible as Honda's coating won't exist after boring 0.5mm of material away anyway.
I have looked at putting a 1000RR engine in but it's 3kg heavier and I don't think it's a significant enough improvement over the 954 (or the 929) to warrant the work of making the new swingarm connection to the frame and engine. I am still considering putting 1000RR electrics, injection and ECU on at a later date though.
I can get normal hard-chrome done locally but I don't know if it's suitable for the bores so I'm going to investigate that avenue further.
I have no problem with shipping the case to the US (or anywhere else) for plating though if somebody can put me onto somebody able to do it.
I have emailed wiseco about the coating compatibility since they must've encountered 929/954 boring jobs before.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 11-26-2008, 3:13 PM

Reputation Power: 12

I am by no means an expert, but all the boring Ive heard of was just an easy recoating of the cylinders without all that fancy mumbo jumbo with sleeves and whatnot.
post #5 of 29 Old 11-26-2008, 3:43 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270

Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I'm not trying to make a 979cc Blade as I'm also stroking the crank - the boring would simply be a small bonus.
So what capacity is it going to be after all this Larry?

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
post #6 of 29 Old 11-26-2008, 6:32 PM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil R View Post
I am by no means an expert, but all the boring Ive heard of was just an easy recoating of the cylinders without all that fancy mumbo jumbo with sleeves and whatnot.
Then you're in the same boat as I am :-)

post #7 of 29 Old 11-26-2008, 6:41 PM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca9540 View Post
So what capacity is it going to be after all this Larry?
Well, the plan was for 1052cc but I haven't nailed very much of it down just yet. I'm always open to modifying my plan as I discover better, cheaper or quicker options :-)
But it's looking like +4mm on the crank is no big problem. Talking with a guy about making a billet crank rather than mod the OEM one. More money but it's stronger and there are no constraints on width and diameter of journals or rods.
As I said, +1mm in the bores would be a nice little bonus but the minor increase in capacity isn't a deal breaker if it's too hard.
I need custom pistons anyway so it just seems like a missed opportunity if I can't go the whole hog.
Crank, rods and pistons are looking like about an eight-week wait but I need firm numbers so I can order the bits and then I have heaps of time to fiddle with what's left.

Last edited by bladeracer; 11-26-2008 at 11:18 PM.
post #8 of 29 Old 11-26-2008, 6:51 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well, the plan was for 1052cc but I haven't nailed very much of it down just yet. I'm always open to modifying my plan as I discover better, cheaper or quicker options :-)
But it's looking like +4mm on the crank is no big problem. Talking with a guy about making a billet crank rather than mod the OEM one. More money but it's stronger and there are no constraints on width and diameter of journals or rods.
As I said, +1mm in the bores would be a nice little bonus but the minor increase in capacity isn't a deal breaker if it's too hard.
I need custom pistons anyway so it just seems like a missed opportunity if I can't go the whole hog.
Crank, rods and pistons are looking like about an eight-week wait but I need is firm numbers so I can order the bits and then I have heaps of time to fiddle with what's left.
Do you think the motor might become fragile by doing this as it was supposed to be near it's limit size wise as a 954. Plus with the extra "go harder" bits and mods you might be building an expensive grenade. But on the other hand you do seem very knowleagable about this stuff. So what's the donk going in, a race bike or a roadie?

post #9 of 29 Old 11-26-2008, 7:14 PM
DUX

Reputation Power: 21

I sold my pristine, low-milage 954 to someone who modded the engine.

I'm not sure if he bored it or not (I think he did for drag-racing,) but the motor blew up no too long afterwards.

post #10 of 29 Old 11-26-2008, 7:38 PM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Not really.
I am curious as to the bore centres on the '08 1000RR as that's running 76mm pistons. If it's still running 80mm centres then that might give me some clues as to how far I can take the 954. 76mm leaves 4mm of cast aluminium between the cylinders so I'm wondering if replacing them with iron liners might let me take them to 77mm. Stock 75mm pistons have 6.5mm thick aluminium liners and boring those to 76mm leaves 6.0mm and 77mm leaves 5.5mm which should be heaps in an iron liner.
I'm doing all the calculations so as not to exceed the OEM piston speed and rod loading so the rev limiter will be around 11,500rpm with redline around 11,000rpm.
I could either build a volatile 954cc engine or a less volatile 1052cc engine to achieve the same horsepower result.
Besides that it's a lot more fun to replace everything in the engine :-)
Once I have the stroke written in stone then I can make final adjustments to everything else.
I think the cams are going to be the hardest part as stock items are designed to peak higher up the rev range.
For my racebike but all my racebikes are also my road bikes.

post #11 of 29 Old 11-26-2008, 11:02 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

who/where are you getting the rods from? I wanted to do the stroker crank before but never could find anyone to make the rods unless it was in large batches. I didn't look too hard though, really just checked out some web pages.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #12 of 29 Old 11-26-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

There are lots of places including Carrillo that will make the rods.

post #13 of 29 Old 11-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Not really.
I am curious as to the bore centres on the '08 1000RR as that's running 76mm pistons. If it's still running 80mm centres then that might give me some clues as to how far I can take the 954. 76mm leaves 4mm of cast aluminium between the cylinders so I'm wondering if replacing them with iron liners might let me take them to 77mm. Stock 75mm pistons have 6.5mm thick aluminium liners and boring those to 76mm leaves 6.0mm and 77mm leaves 5.5mm which should be heaps in an iron liner.
I'm doing all the calculations so as not to exceed the OEM piston speed and rod loading so the rev limiter will be around 11,500rpm with redline around 11,000rpm.
I could either build a volatile 954cc engine or a less volatile 1052cc engine to achieve the same horsepower result.
Besides that it's a lot more fun to replace everything in the engine :-)
Once I have the stroke written in stone then I can make final adjustments to everything else.
I think the cams are going to be the hardest part as stock items are designed to peak higher up the rev range.
For my racebike but all my racebikes are also my road bikes.
Very interesting Larry. Please keep me or us posted on the progress as I want to know the end result.

post #14 of 29 Old 11-26-2008, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Will do.
There hasn't been much point posting anything until I have the bottom end specs nailed down.
And I'll be keeping a photographic record of the build so I can look back and see exactly where I made the mistake that makes it all go wrong ;-)

Just re-read the thread and noticed I've made some mistakes (been awake for 29 hours now - just about to crawl into bed). The bores are at 81mm centres and the stock 75mm bores leave 6mm of material between them. Boring to 76mm leaves 5.0mm between the bores. 77mm leaves 4.0mm of material which I figure is way too thin for cast aluminium but made me think iron sleeves would be strong enough for 77mm pistons.

post #15 of 29 Old 11-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Just re-read the thread and noticed I've made some mistakes (been awake for 29 hours now - just about to crawl into bed). The bores are at 81mm centres and the stock 75mm bores leave 6mm of material between them. Boring to 76mm leaves 5.0mm between the bores. 77mm leaves 4.0mm of material which I figure is way too thin for cast aluminium but made me think iron sleeves would be strong enough for 77mm pistons.
Yeah, I thought you had made a boo boo there with the thingo and the whatsy sizes , but i was'nt going to point it out untill I had calkoo, calkal, calua,.............. worked it out on the size thingy .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page