Need Help: Gear box problem -bike shifts to neutral on going over 4000 RPM - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-27-2008, 1:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Need Help: Gear box problem -bike shifts to neutral on going over 4000 RPM

Hi guys, i am new to this cummunity. i recently bought a 99 CBR 919. the bike is amazing but there is just one problem that when the bike is in second gear and as it reaches 4000 RPM the gear automatically shifts to neutral. I showed it the dealer who said that that the teeths of 2nd gear components have worn out thats why on higher RPM it shifts to neutral. he said this is because the previuos owner wheelied it for long distances. Anyway the bike is otherwise great and i dont want it's engine to be opened (like head covers, master cylinder). the dealer said that the gear component can be changed without opening the the whole engine (i.e head cover, master cylinders, crank etc.). Is he right and should i proceed with the repairs. thanks a lot in advance for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-27-2008, 3:07 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Need Help: Gear box problem -bike shifts to neutral on going over 4000 RPM

It's not the teeth that wear.
The gears have "dogs" that lock them to an adjacent gear to drive the shaft.
The dogs become rounded and no longer stay locked together under load.
It's nothing to do with wheelies, just bad shifting. It's most common on second because first to second is the widest shift and slams in the hardest. The lower gears also see higher revs and are used a lot more often than the higher gears.

Does it happen regardless of whether you've shifted up or down to second?
If you shift to second but don't release the shift lever (normal pressure - don't force the lever) does it stay in second while you hold it in?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 3 Old 11-27-2008, 8:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 36

Re: Need Help: Gear box problem -bike shifts to neutral on going over 4000 RPM

I suspect some power shifting was in it's past and as bladeracer says, rounded the dogs on the gears.
Does it also come out only with a lot of throttle or even on light throttle?
How about going back to the previous owner for help if you just got it. He obviously was aware of the issue.
To answer your question, yes it can be repaired without taking the top of the engine apart but the cases have to be split to get at the transmission.
You have really no choice but to repair.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page