Poor fuel economy - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 11-26-2003, 3:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Poor fuel economy

Hi people, chanced upon this board and found much useful information and knowledge here. Maybe someone can help me out?

Bike: CBR 929
Mods: Stock standard (boring)
Mileage: 50,000km (about 31,000 miles)
Problem: used to be able to travel about 260km per tank before reserve light comes on when commuting. Over the last 3 years, this decreased to 240km, then 220km, then 190km two weeks ago.

My bike is stock, apart from a K&N air filter. Throttle bodies have been synchronised periodically, and Iím on my 3rd set of plugs. Inspection of the plugs does not show signs of a rich mixture. Iíve been using the same brand of 98 octane petrol, and my riding style and environment (traffic conditions) has not changed over the years.

The manual says poor fuel economy may be due to a pinched fuel tube or faulty pressure regulator. The fuel tube looks just fine, but I do not have access to a fuel pressure gauge, so is there any way of finding out the problem short of getting a new pressure regulator?

Dealers in this part of the world suck big time. Most have no idea how to properly service/diagnose a big EFI 4 cylinder bikeÖ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-26-2003, 8:44 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: Poor fuel economy

Have you ever changed your fuel filter? I don't know what kind, if any, cleaners they put in fuel overthere. Might not be a bad idea to run some fuel injector cleaner through there too.
post #3 of 30 Old 11-26-2003, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ND4SPD

Have you ever changed your fuel filter? I don't know what kind, if any, cleaners they put in fuel overthere. Might not be a bad idea to run some fuel injector cleaner through there too.
The fuel filter's one of those things that I kept telling myself to change but never did. Will get one later this week.

Let's hope it's due to some simple reason and not the pressure regulator acting up...

cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 11-26-2003, 12:23 PM

With that many miles and original fuel filter, it very well may be the issue. Does it run rough at all? Rough starts, anything?
post #5 of 30 Old 11-26-2003, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Problem is it starts (ok, it takes a couple of cranks before it fires, but this should be due to a dirty air filter), idles and runs just fine. So there are no symptoms to speak of. Talk about not knowing where to start!

to add to the confusion, all four plugs sport a tan look. seems normal enough...

But the fast idle seems a tad high at 2K rpm during a cold start. It settles to normal idling speed (abt 1.1K rpm) when the temperature reaches 52 degrees celcius.

Does the fast idle of 2k rpm sound normal? Is there anyway to adjust this? The service manual does not seem to mention this part at all.
post #6 of 30 Old 11-26-2003, 1:41 PM

Fast idle is adjustable via a twist knob that comes out on the left side of the bike, just above the shift linkage. It's a black plastic knob, sorta looks like a sprocket.

The 2k rpm fast idle sounds normal, every FI engine does that(at some RPM).
post #7 of 30 Old 11-26-2003, 3:42 PM

Reputation Power: 20

sounds to me like you have become more acustomed to that torque and hp and are just getting on the gas that much harder?

i consider myself lucky to get 100 miles / tank on the 600rr.

Insignificant Member
post #8 of 30 Old 11-26-2003, 6:59 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Normal for low temps

Quote:
But the fast idle seems a tad high at 2K rpm during a cold start. It settles to normal idling speed (abt 1.1K rpm) when the temperature reaches 52 degrees celcius.
The fast idle is right on the money. This morning, my outside temp was 52F and the fast idle kicked in until the water temp got to around 100F and then it settles down to 1250 which is where Honda suggested setting operational temp idle. My bike only has 7K on it and has done this from day one so don't worry about the fast idle during cooler days. Mavic

Last edited by Mavic; 11-27-2003 at 11:31 PM.
post #9 of 30 Old 11-27-2003, 5:42 PM

My warning light comes on at around 240Klicks & usually pull in for petro (87 octane) & take in around 12.8 or 13L. Have made record milage of 302Klicks & took in 15.8L. Have well over 55 Klicks on bike along with original spark plugs.

Possibly you are clocking a lot of milage in back roads & town which really guzzles up the fuel or are honky on the hwy at above max speed limts in 4th & 5th a lot. Must admit I also do a lot of honking n 5th cog yet above fuel milage.

Have a '97 Yamaha YZF600r that is pressed at the same speeds & a lot of milage in 5th cog still it give 293Klicks at 14.3L to 351Klicks & 16.8L
post #10 of 30 Old 11-27-2003, 7:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Quote:
Originally posted by ulysses_sc

But the fast idle seems a tad high at 2K rpm during a cold start.
Ever try setting the choke on a Kwakka? how does 5000rpm fast idle for warm up sound?

I love fuel injection and auto fast idle..

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #11 of 30 Old 11-27-2003, 7:26 PM

I would 86 the K&N, as they become clogged (unrepairably) over time and require complete replacement (contrary to their marketing claims). They are prone to expanded foam emphysema (internal cells breaking down and retaining particles of airborne contamination on the cell lining).

I would invest the 38.00 US (don't know the conversion rate) for an OEM unit and check the fuel economy.
post #12 of 30 Old 11-27-2003, 8:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions! Will try out the suggestions one by one to see if it helps. Although the bike feels alright, I'm just a little concerned with the decrease in fuel efficiency with all other variables being constant.

Thanks!
post #13 of 30 Old 11-28-2003, 12:15 AM

Reputation Power: 20

I'm still amazed each time we bring up milage on a bike, I've seen 208 on a tank once (before light came on).

I average 170-190km per tank. I didn't think I was goosing it much....

Be fast or be last.
post #14 of 30 Old 11-28-2003, 5:07 AM

Hmmm, it could be your riding style. I know when I am riding real hard I only get about 75-80 miles before the fuel light comes on, but if I am riding slow or commuting it dosn't come on till about 110 miles.

Other wise I would have to agree with the fuel filter going bad.
post #15 of 30 Old 11-28-2003, 6:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by KIDRR
Hmmm, it could be your riding style. I know when I am riding real hard I only get about 75-80 miles before the fuel light comes on, but if I am riding slow or commuting it dosn't come on till about 110 miles.

Other wise I would have to agree with the fuel filter going bad.
I never bother with fuel mileage when riding hard or at the track, but I'm pretty sure my commuting riding habits are nowhere near as aggressive as my granny's driving, so that's why I feel there must be something wrong somewhere when the light comes on much sooner than it should when I'm riding like a wuss on the streets! ha ha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page