Input Please - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-26-2008, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Input Please

Ok well the other day I was riding, amd my cluster would blank out upon idle, but when I was on the gas it was fine.....went home turned off the beast, and when I went to ride again the battery was dead.....I bought a new battery put it in a rode for a few days....then it was dead again.....keep in mind I didnt put the new battery on a charger, just installed and rode....so Ive had the new battery on the charger for about 24 hours maybe longer off and on...reinstalled it and of course she starts......while she was running I disconnected the positive battery cable and she dies....now if this was a car that would indicate charging issues...is this what Im dealing with now ? Any input will help, is appreciated, and respected !! Thanks Yall !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Re: Input Please

Check the stator and the regulator.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-27-2008, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Thats kinda what I was thinking but Im still in denial
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-27-2008, 3:16 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

It's a Honda.
Whenever you have electrical problems on a Honda the stator and regulator are the first things to check.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 11 Old 12-27-2008, 5:18 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalBlade View Post
Ok well the other day I was riding, amd my cluster would blank out upon idle, but when I was on the gas it was fine.....went home turned off the beast, and when I went to ride again the battery was dead.....I bought a new battery put it in a rode for a few days....then it was dead again.....keep in mind I didnt put the new battery on a charger, just installed and rode....so Ive had the new battery on the charger for about 24 hours maybe longer off and on...reinstalled it and of course she starts......while she was running I disconnected the positive battery cable and she dies....now if this was a car that would indicate charging issues...is this what Im dealing with now ? Any input will help, is appreciated, and respected !! Thanks Yall !!!
in (most) cars the alternator can withstand the entire electical load and therefore as you mentioned above, if you disconnect the battery and the car dies, you may have charging problems, on a bike however this is not the case, the stator can not normally drive the load of the coils and therefore if the battery is disconnected the bike will kill over instantly, so getting back on track...the fact that this is happening to your bike does mean charing problems straight away... but like everyone else has said, a good starting point is the stator and regulator/recifier.

Last edited by firebladeking; 12-27-2008 at 5:27 PM. Reason: for clarity
post #6 of 11 Old 12-27-2008, 5:22 PM Thread Starter

How do you check the stator and/or regulator to determine which one is bad ?
post #7 of 11 Old 12-27-2008, 5:26 PM
Global Moderator

Bikes are not different from cars.
But, bike or car, if you need continuous power to run the fuel pump or injectors then it probably isn't going to run off the alternator - at least not for very long. If you don't have either of those then it will probably run fine without the battery.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 11 Old 12-27-2008, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalBlade View Post
How do you check the stator and/or regulator to determine which one is bad ?
everything should be in this document

Last edited by firebladeking; 01-11-2009 at 12:33 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-27-2008, 5:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks
post #10 of 11 Old 12-27-2008, 5:50 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebladeking View Post
in (most) cars the alternator can withstand the entire electical load and therefore as you mentioned above, if you disconnect the battery and the car dies, you may have charging problems, on a bike however this is not the case, the stator can not normally drive the load of the coils and therefore if the battery is disconnected the bike will kill over instantly, so getting back on track...the fact that this is happening to your bike does mean charing problems straight away... but like everyone else has said, a good starting point is the stator and regulator/recifier.

While the car or bike is running all the electrics are being run from the alternator. The alternator is also charging the battery so it can supplement the power draw at times of high draw - times when you are drawing power faster than the battery is charging. Cars do generally have bigger alternators as they often have to run radios, air conditioning, windows, locks, etc and more lighting than bikes.
The stator is more than capable of powering the engine but without battery power you can't start an injected engine or supply fuel via a fuel pump.

post #11 of 11 Old 12-27-2008, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
While the car or bike is running all the electrics are being run from the alternator. The alternator is also charging the battery so it can supplement the power draw at times of high draw - times when you are drawing power faster than the battery is charging. Cars do generally have bigger alternators as they often have to run radios, air conditioning, windows, locks, etc and more lighting than bikes.
The stator is more than capable of powering the engine but without battery power you can't start an injected engine or supply fuel via a fuel pump.
I recently converted a 1979 yamaha RD400 into a cafe racer, I took off all the lights and switch gear, and made a new wiring harness consisting of the alternator, regulator, rectifier, kill switch and coils, and the bike alternator could not generate a spark (push start or kick start) unless the battery was connected. in my experience thus far, the only bikes that can run without a battery are off road bikes. every road bike i worked on (carbs or injected) have needed a battery to generate spark.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page