seized pistons - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 12-27-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

seized pistons

anyone know how to free seized brake pistons on my 98 blade front calipers thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-28-2008, 2:39 PM

Re: seized pistons

whenever i've had a bike with seized pistons, i take the pads out and cover the pistons in wd40, then get a clamp or piston spreader, and push the pistons back in, then pump them back put again, you may need to do this quite a few times to free them, once they are moving again make sure you use some brake grease on the pistons, to stop them from sticking again, also dont pump the pistons out to far as they may pop out, and keep the wd40 away from the discs and pads, and if there is any corrosion on the pistons use some fine wet/dry paper to remove it. If after doing all the above and they are still sticking the brakes may need a re-build...
post #3 of 21 Old 12-29-2008, 9:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

heat the calipers and pop the pistons out with compressed air and be careful they come out fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 12-29-2008, 11:55 PM

Don't use too much heat ! Had a guy do that to my caliper and he warped them. They were junk after that.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-30-2008, 12:02 AM

Reputation Power: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-corsaro View Post
whenever i've had a bike with seized pistons, i take the pads out and cover the pistons in wd40, then get a clamp or piston spreader, and push the pistons back in, then pump them back put again, you may need to do this quite a few times to free them, once they are moving again make sure you use some brake grease on the pistons, to stop them from sticking again, also dont pump the pistons out to far as they may pop out, and keep the wd40 away from the discs and pads, and if there is any corrosion on the pistons use some fine wet/dry paper to remove it. If after doing all the above and they are still sticking the brakes may need a re-build...
wd40 will swell the seals and make it worse
take em out and clean them..
if you need lube going back in just use brake fluid
post #6 of 21 Old 12-30-2008, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDMBlackBlade View Post
wd40 will swell the seals and make it worse
take em out and clean them..
if you need lube going back in just use brake fluid
I' ve never had a proplem with wd40 making the seals swell, , dont believe everthing you read, been using it for years, with out any problems.

if you use brake fluid to lube the pistons, as soon as it rains or you wash your bike it will be gone, and in the uk, with all the rain and salt, your pistons will be seized again in no time, which is why in the trade, we use brake piston grease, also known as red grease, and many other names, to stop them seizing again.
post #7 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 1:38 AM

Quote:
I' ve never had a proplem with wd40 making the seals swell, , dont believe everthing you read, been using it for years, with out any problems.

if you use brake fluid to lube the pistons, as soon as it rains or you wash your bike it will be gone,(its only to get the pistons into the rubber seals,they shouldnt have anything on them) and in the uk, with all the rain and salt, your pistons will be seized again in no time, which is why in the trade, we use brake piston grease, also known as red grease, and many other names, to stop them seizing again.
I'm also in the trade.
are you working on buses???
I'm in Ireland you think you have bad weather
watching to much of that butcher Dr rod or whatever he calls himself on the TV (god i don't know how they can show his work on TV and pass it off as tips )
just strip clean and reassemble as they left the factory
if wd40 and bus grease are the answer why isn't it used leaving the factory
post #8 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 4:54 AM

ok ok calm down, as with most people you do it your way, and every one else will do it there way, as with most forums every one has different opinions on how things should be done, no need to jump down peoples throat when they give an opinion, all this im right your wrong BS, get of you high horse and stop talking to the little men in green hats, they are giving you bad advice, and what trade are you in, airline hostess, never used brake grease, ask any good mechanic they all use it.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 5:11 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
ok ok calm down, as with most people you do it your way, and every one else will do it there way, as with most forums every one has different opinions on how things should be done, no need to jump down peoples throat when they give an opinion, all this im right your wrong BS, get of you high horse and stop talking to the little men in green hats, they are giving you bad advice, and what trade are you in, airline hostess, never used brake grease, ask any good mechanic they all use it.
I've worked as a mechanic in a Honda shop for 10 years, and we always use brake grease, on the pistons, this stops them from seizing in the future, it also keeps them from getting corroded and it does not damage to the seals.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecbr1000 View Post

I've worked as a mechanic in a Honda shop for 10 years, and we always use brake grease, on the pistons, this stops them from seizing in the future, it also keeps them from getting corroded and it does not damage to the seals.

At last, someone who knows what im talking about.
post #11 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 8:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

I've always used that there red grease too with no problems, never used wd40 though. Its such a light oil it would soon evaporate I would have thought (waiting for a flaming!!). Older Yams were renowned for seizing pistons and the number of times we've stripped callipers isn’t funny!! One problem is that corrosion can build up behind the seals making them pinch the piston so no amount of grease/wd40 will cure the problem so its important to be sure this hasn’t happened (it never has on any of my Honda’s). Callipers can be split is necessary to gain better access for cleaning without needing new seals. I would completely strip, clean, grease and re-assemble both callipers if it were my machine.
post #12 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for suggestions The WD.40 idea worked. could copperslip be used as a brake grease ?
post #13 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 2:13 PM

Reputation Power: 27

NO!
BTW Anyone of you ever put a piston seal in a cup of WD-40?
If not, do it and then come back and tell us what you find.

Ride Red
post #14 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Don't be a coplete dick man!!!
where do you work???
Would people outside your village have heard of it???
There is only one right way to do things!!
you ever bought brembo brakes or pvm ap etc...
none of them are greased up.
any grease copper or otherwise will only cause dirt to stick
come on so big mouth give us a little backround on yourself there

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
NO!
BTW Anyone of you ever put a piston seal in a cup of WD-40?
If not, do it and then come back and tell us what you find.
Maybe this guy should try that
post #15 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecbr1000 View Post

maybe thats why all UK imports have corroded brakes nuts and bolts all over them is it??
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page