rim malfunction - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 79 Old 12-28-2008, 8:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

rim malfunction

bought a brand new 08 1000RR had it for 5 days and the back rim imploded! the bike flipped end over end finally stopping 115ft from where the rim came apart. i had on normal clothes (jeans and t-shirt) and my helmet so i got pretty bad road rash, also a broken right finger and torn ligaments in my left knee requiring surgery to fix. the bike is pretty beat up to say the least, i bought the bike cash so i only had liability insurance because thats all i could afford. it only had 262 miles on the bike and i was running between 45-50 mph when the accident happened. now the honda representative they sent to look at the bike claims the rim was messed up during the wreck not the cause of the wreck. so i am stuck with this 12000 dollar bike that is useless not to mention the 6500 dollar hospital and doctor bills and i cant afford the surgery to my knee. im only 23 years old and i cant use my knees anymore. i had a lawyer and a witness to the wreck but the witness didnot want to go to court so my lawyer dropped the case due to insufficient evidence. does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do now to continue trying to get honda to take responsibility for what happened?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 Old 12-28-2008, 11:09 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Re: rim malfunction

post some pictures of the rim
post #3 of 79 Old 12-28-2008, 11:26 PM

Reputation Power: 15

you have to try to get the witness to go to court and or write like a paper saying he saw the whole thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 79 Old 12-28-2008, 11:48 PM

supena (sp?) their ass. A good lawyer wouldnt have dropped such a case that easily. But Im wondering how it flipped end over end. Wouldnt that have just caused the rear to lock up? and just my oppinion...if you can afford a new bike cash and cant afford full coverage, its just asking for something like this to happen.
post #5 of 79 Old 12-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

What did the witness say happened?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 79 Old 12-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Global Moderator

I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a society where you have to pay for medical treatment.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 79 Old 12-29-2008, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a society where you have to pay for medical treatment.

I cant imagine what it must be like to live in a society where you DONT have to pay for medical treatment..but Id sure like to!
post #8 of 79 Old 12-29-2008, 6:20 AM
GUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
You do, its part of our taxes.
post #9 of 79 Old 12-29-2008, 9:41 AM

Reputation Power: 59

I pay my taxes but over here we get our medical expenses paid by the government - thats one reason why we have so many foriegners...

Not sure where you stand with the bike, they will (honda) try and pass the blame but without evidence/witness I don't think you can do anything regarding the bike.

Are your knees out of action completly?

"Second is the first of the losers..."
post #10 of 79 Old 12-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

I can't imagine what it's like to not get quality health care in a timely manner...

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #11 of 79 Old 12-29-2008, 10:28 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
I can't imagine what it's like to not get quality health care in a timely manner...
People always forget that you get what you pay for.
post #12 of 79 Old 12-29-2008, 10:49 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via MSN to shakey1378

best of luck to ya. you learned a very big lesson here.

next time have full coverage! i understand you cant afford it immediately but you could have parked the bike till you could have afforded to pay for the insurance and you wouldnt be out so much money...

23yrs old on a big nasty liter bike with no protective gear other than a helmet. you should definately be kicking yourself in the arse for being a moron. if you ever ride again remember these words jacket, gloves, helmet, pants, and boots. you will probably have a hard time doing anything with this case considering your witness flaked out and lawyer dropped the case you are officially screwed.

hope you recover. its truly a shame if your knees are F'd for life. if u get back on a bike in the future please be more responsible for your own good and others. im not saying what happend was your fault just that if u would have used better judgement your problems would be much less severe. my brother was in a much worse accident than what you describe and he made it thru with no broken bones and minor rash. difference was he was all geared up.
post #13 of 79 Old 12-29-2008, 11:40 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Like DavyJay suggested, post pictures of the bike, of the place it happened and a real incident report with detailed descriptions and sworn witness statement in your gallery and in this thread.
If there is obvious technical evidence that Honda has liability for the damages, they might change their position. If it could just have been a nail on the road that caused the accident ??? well - that why we usually have insurance.

Regards - and hope for recovery of your knee - Fred
post #14 of 79 Old 12-29-2008, 1:48 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this but I've never waited for care and I have zero complaints about the quality. I've had some pretty nasty injuries put back together.
If I'd had to pay thousands of dollars to have my bones put back together or have my right hand sewn back on I can't imagine I would've gotten quality or timely care - I probably would've tried doing it myself instead :-)

post #15 of 79 Old 12-29-2008, 1:55 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUV View Post
You do, its part of our taxes.
Yep, 1.5% of taxable income last time I checked.
I know for sure I've had _way_ more than that back from the system myself :-)
My right hand alone must've cost over $50K and that was eighteen years ago. Free ambulance rides would be over $5000 by now I reckon.
I have no fear of crashing but if I thought I'd be up for $500 just for the ambulance plus perhaps the price of the bike to have some simple medical treatment I'd probably never go out my driveway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page