Gasket to fill gaps for bolt on can. Help/Advice? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-31-2008, 6:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Gasket to fill gaps for bolt on can. Help/Advice?

A couple of months ago I fitted a Leo Vince can to my 1998 Blade. This was a straight swap for the original, so a straight bolt on job. When I had fitted it I found that there we some small gaps between the (bolt on) end of the can & the flange end on the downpipes. I called the UK importer of Leo Vince & they said a gasket was available to order which will plug any gaps.

To cut a long story short, the gasket arrived (all the way from Italy), & works great, but itís one of those soft metal compound type things which compresses & squashes when you tighten everything up.

So, going forward, does anyone know if these are readily available elsewhere? Did anyone else have this problem when bolting on a new can? Iíve check the Honda spares & from what I see there is nothing available as standard to do the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-31-2008, 6:38 AM

Reputation Power: 166

Re: Gasket to fill gaps for bolt on can. Help/Advice?

I had the exact same problem as you - except you've managed better than I did!

I have a Leo Vince can on my 1998 Blade too. The gasket you mention failed, so I needed to replace it. I couldn't find anything to fit.

In the end, I got some 'Hermatite Exhaust Jointing Compound' paste which has done the job, you put it on and it hardens with the heat of the exhaust. If you're careful when applying it there's not too much mess....!!
post #3 of 6 Old 12-31-2008, 6:43 AM Thread Starter

I was thinking of some sort of compound, but I'm very heavy handed when it comes to stuff like that I I would have the bike covered in goop in no time Plus if you need to remove the can for something don't you have to repeat the process over again? I was thinking of taking the gasket to a machine shop & getting some cut out of brass or something similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-31-2008, 6:48 AM

Well I'm not exactly known for my finesse either (hence the nickname!)

As long as you wipe off any excess before starting the bike to heat it up it's not too bad - although it will need to be re-applied if I need to take the can off for any reason.

I agree some sort of proper gasket would be better, I have no idea if a brass or copper one would work I'm afraid.

By the way, how much did Leo Vince charge you to send you the gasket?
post #5 of 6 Old 12-31-2008, 6:50 AM Thread Starter

I think it was around a tenner. I got it through Moto GB who are the official UK importer. Granted, it isn't a great deal of cash, but it can takes weeks to arrive from Italy, and I can't be arsed to wait that long, must be a UK stockist of these things somewhere?
post #6 of 6 Old 12-31-2008, 7:01 AM

You'd have thought so..... I tried to find one and failed miserably, I tried buying some exhaust gasket material and making one myself but failed miserably here too, I tried the official Honda gasket which is the wrong shape...... in the end I resorted to the paste. You'd think that these gaskets would be the same for all bolt-on exhausts, but I tried my local bike shop (who sell exhausts) but they were as good as useless as well.

It's pretty daft to sell the exhausts but not the gaskets eh?

I was thinking perhaps just buy another gasket and keep it handy, then if you do need to take the can off you'll have it available - then order another spare one to keep hold of? Not ideal I know......

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page