Aftermarket Screens - What Do You Use? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-31-2008, 7:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Aftermarket Screens - What Do You Use?

Thinking of replacing the standard screen on my 900rr. As motorway riding is getting a real pain as the windblast hits me right in the chest. It's nice to be pushed back a little as it relieves some of the strain on the wrists, but if you really give it some beans it's feels like I'm being pushed further & further back, which isn't fun.

So, from what I can see the option are a double bubble or a more up-swept touring screen.

From the look of it, the double bubble will just move the wind from my chest & whack me in the face, which is probably worse.....but I could be wrong.

So, if anyone has replaced the standard screen for something else, how do you get along with it? Do you still need to duck down onto your tank at anything approaching 3 figures? Or do you find motorway miles a lot easier?

Don't really have the opportunity to try several out as these things aren't cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-31-2008, 7:09 AM

Reputation Power: 166

Re: Aftermarket Screens - What Do You Use?

Me again! I have a Zero Gravity Double Bubble on mine, as much because I prefer the look of it as anything. I can't say I have had any problems with it, it fits well enough.

As for the wind blast.... it's been a while since I've been out on the bike, but from memory it's not that much different to standard, a little higher obviously. I suppose it can't be causing me any discomfort - if it was I'd know about it!

If it helps, I'm about 6ft 1 and 16.5 stone.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-31-2008, 7:25 AM Thread Starter

Are we the only schmo's posting here today

I'm the same height as you but a few stone lighter, could explain why I get blown around so much, lol. I've seen a few Puig db's on fleabay going fairly cheap. Perhaps the double bubble screens disperse the wind better then standard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-31-2008, 7:35 AM

Ha ha, seems that way! I've not heard anyone use 'schmo' for a while - me & my mates used to use it a few years ago

I'm only posting 'cos I'm bored at work!

Got mine from Calsport (.co.uk), last summer I think. They're about £60 at the moment. I've heard of Puig but never used one.

It's always a gamble getting a screen, they're not cheap for what they are and can be crap - I tried an Airblade screen on my old bike (rubbish - didn't fit very well and then cracked) then a Powerbronze one (slightly better but still a poor fit). As I say, the Zero Gravity fits quite nicely (I saw one fitted to another Blade before I decided on one of these) so that's why I went for it.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-31-2008, 7:52 AM

Reputation Power: 11

I just put on a new Zero gravity "double bubble", on my RC51. No complaints so far!!
post #6 of 10 Old 12-31-2008, 7:53 AM Thread Starter

Love the word "schmo", it's sounds funny & a little insulting at the same time

Yeah, I'm stuck at work too, just waiting for the nod when we can all pack up & bugger off home.

Puig & MRA screens are quite highly rated, as are Zero Gravity. I had a Powerbronze on my old 1000f & it was ok, but didn't knock my socks off.

May nip to the London bike show and see whats around...then again, the previous years I have gone I always feel cheated as it's not that good.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-31-2008, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris r View Post
May nip to the London bike show and see whats around...then again, the previous years I have gone I always feel cheated as it's not that good.
Yeah, I went a couple of years ago and wasn't too impressed - not been back since. Still, it's a bike-related day out in the middle of Winter if nothing else.

I went by tube last time - there was a bloke on there in full leathers - now there's a schmo - just wanted to look like he went by bike
post #8 of 10 Old 12-31-2008, 9:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

I am using a PowerBronze on my 929RR will know how it works when the spring comes....looks great though!

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/5945/cimg0152wl8.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8096/1002044ok2.jpg
post #9 of 10 Old 12-31-2008, 4:21 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to TattooedGQ

I have a puig DB on my 900RR the I'm 6 1 and the wind gets me right in the neck....which IMO is much better than in my chest..but I still tuck when getting in the triples.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-01-2009, 7:16 AM

Reputation Power: 21

I have aZero Gravity Double Bubble on mine, and strange as it is i'm also 6'1 around the 15-16 stone mark. is this site full of tall riders? maybe start a thread to fine out LOL. anyway i've did a two trips to abroad last year and found the wind blast was kept at bay. the only prob is at lower speeds 50-60 you don't get the weight off your wrists as you would with the std screen......just got to go faster to get the same effect

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page