Frame sliders - R&G Racing vs. Sato Racing - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 8:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Frame sliders - R&G Racing vs. Sato Racing

Good day everyone!

I take delivery of my '08 Fireblade in a few weeks, and in the meantime I get the joy of ordering all the toys and gadgets needed for a new bike.

The big one - frame sliders. I'm leaning towards getting the R&G Aero bobbins from R&G Racing (Honda CBR1000RR Aero Style Crash Protectors CP0228) and I have friends who swear by Sato Racing products.

I'm honestly don't know how these engine case sliders will work in a crash, but they do look interesting: SATO RACING | CBR1000RR ('08) ENGINE SLIDER.

Does anyone know anything about the Sato sliders? Would they be more or less likely to protect the frame and plastics in a crash? Or would a traditional type of frame slider like the R&G's be better in a crash?

I think I know the answer, but I thought I'd ask here first!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 9:15 AM

Reputation Power: 291

Send a message via MSN to setanta
Re: Frame sliders - R&G Racing vs. Sato Racing

I aint going to put mine to the test just to answer your question but I have the R&G on mine

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #3 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 10:15 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Looks like you should just get both of them to cover your bases. The Sato Engine sliders look pretty cool and appear as if they were going to function well.

Donnyballgame

Work Hard, Play Hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 10:21 AM

I've got R&G's and besides quality they look amazing on the bike.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 8:08 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Just a question relating to this post, Does anyone have any crash bobbins that don't require drilling of the fairing? On an '05 blade.
I have never bothered on this bike because I dont want to cut the fairing, but I have dropped it twice recently and needed to replace the top fairing and the second time had to plastic weld the bottom section! I have had R & G ones in the past which have always been good, but as I say I really dont like the look of a bobbin sticking out of the fairing. I have seen a few with brackets to clear the fairing but dont have any personal experience with them, Cheers.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 8:29 PM

Reputation Power: 59

I honestly would get both.

I currently have R&G bungs aswell as swing arm bobbins on the Blade and can honestly say they have saved me quite a bit of money each time they have needed to be used.

I've seen some rashed '08 CBRs and the engine cases are one of the main areas which get affected thus making me lean towards the satos. (Ive seen the Carbon covers but these look a lot more "meatier") The R&Gs would help in saving your precious fairings as they have done mine.

"Second is the first of the losers..."
post #7 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 8:48 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommys67 View Post

Does anyone know anything about the Sato sliders? Would they be more or less likely to protect the frame and plastics in a crash? Or would a traditional type of frame slider like the R&G's be better in a crash?

Thanks
Tommy,
the engine sliders are not designed to protect the frame or plastics, as the name suggests they are designed to protect the engine casings. ( so in the event of a minor fall you don't crack the casings and loose all your precious oil)

to protect the fairings, you will need the traditional type of frame sliders

R&G also do engine sliders
Product Gallery
post #8 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 8:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebladeking View Post
Tommy,

R&G also do engine sliders
Product Gallery
AND they are cheaper than the Sato's - even considering the shipping and exchange rate.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 8:59 PM

If you are going to crash, expect the worst.

The R&G and Sato Protectors will help minimalise damage but in a crash, you are bound to get a few things broken/rashed.

post #10 of 12 Old 01-02-2009, 9:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam View Post
If you are going to crash, expect the worst.

The R&G and Sato Protectors will help minimalise damage but in a crash, you are bound to get a few things broken/rashed.
Oh, I do know that. I had a lowside on my old Duc Monster back in April. I had scratches in the most unbelievable places. The frame sliders I had on that bike did their job and protected the frame, engine and tank from any structural damage.

A few scratches don't bother me. Major damage does - that's why I made my original post. Will be getting the R&G sliders, bobbins and probably the engine case pieces as well. I'm putting bar end mirrors on, so those will take a good bit of any damage to the bars in a crash.

Anyway, the '08 Blade I'm buying was a press bike, and has a scratch or two already.

Thanks for all the thoughts! I appreciate it!

Pics coming soon!
post #11 of 12 Old 01-03-2009, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommys67 View Post
Oh, I do know that. I had a lowside on my old Duc Monster back in April. I had scratches in the most unbelievable places. The frame sliders I had on that bike did their job and protected the frame, engine and tank from any structural damage.

A few scratches don't bother me. Major damage does - that's why I made my original post. Will be getting the R&G sliders, bobbins and probably the engine case pieces as well. I'm putting bar end mirrors on, so those will take a good bit of any damage to the bars in a crash.

Anyway, the '08 Blade I'm buying was a press bike, and has a scratch or two already.

Thanks for all the thoughts! I appreciate it!

Pics coming soon!
Make sure you get rid of that hidious tail! (Where the numberplate fixes...) - I can't stand them.

You can also get R&G bar ends, swing arm bobbins and bobbins that fix to the front wheel (help with lifting the front up)... Might be able to do a deal if you bought the whole set???

post #12 of 12 Old 01-03-2009, 6:15 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

those Sato sliders are pretty sweet but I'd probably go with a Woodcraft billet aluminum slider with replaceable skid plate on the clutch side (similar to the Sato piece) and then a billet aluminum cover for the left side such as a Woodcraft. cheap replaceable sliders on the Woodcraft stuff is a nice plus. a bit more money that way but I think its a little more protection.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page