Last of the Litre Bikes!!!!!!! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 01-06-2009, 5:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Last of the Litre Bikes!!!!!!!

Okay only speculation but through members of my club, and some guys in the shops and track I am hearing that 09 may be the last year of the litre bikes.

Some valid reasons are

1. Moto GP has made the switch to 800cc bikes and everything about superbikes comes from Moto GP racing.

2. Government and States would love for litre bikes to not be produced.

3. Manu's could market and sell these just as much in a 800cc class if they didn't have a push to a 1000cc equivalent.

Now dont get me wrong and jump down my throat, I am sure every company will still produce some form of 1000cc and above bike, all i am posting here is the major emphasis on the top of the line sportbike will end at 800cc.

Some good topics here to argue are, SHOULD U JUST BY THE BLADE 08 09 WHILE IT LASTS. Seriously the 800 would be lighter but not on the scale to a 600 and the 10rr is so light it nearly is a 6 and feels like one already. It cleary wouldn't have quite the pull of the 10rr but i would guess it would be close.

Just thought this would be a good topic for everyone to go back and forth with. What do you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-06-2009, 6:02 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: Last of the Litre Bikes!!!!!!!

Interesting subject but I don't think we will see it happen soon.
post #3 of 29 Old 01-06-2009, 6:06 PM Thread Starter

Just hoping for some good responses and give everyone something to think and kill some time with. We had fun arguing it the other night at a rally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 01-06-2009, 6:30 PM

Reputation Power: 11

I bought big bore over 600cc for the roll on anywhere grunt, I don't use the top end I just midrange it around. Methinks the 800 would make up for its lack of cc by revving higher, likely robbing it of low and midrange power.
post #5 of 29 Old 01-06-2009, 6:37 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Why 800?! Wtf. They should stick with the two main contenders... 600 and 1000.

Well 750 can be argued but why the hell 800?

The 600s are a little rev happy so I would agree that the 800 would be a mixture of light weight and would benifit from low down torque... But I think this world is going mad. Honestly.

"Second is the first of the losers..."
post #6 of 29 Old 01-06-2009, 7:15 PM Thread Starter

One good point to take notice on is look at the 750 suzuki it is a pretty mean bike. ( not compared to the 08 1k honda but the rest of the loser pack). Suzuki does not even concentrate that much funding into that model. the 600's and litre's rain supreme.

Now imagine going to a 800cc class that mimics what the GP bikes are doing and the companys really focusing there main effort into these.

Look most of the thought goes to the 600's right now because the sell more (alot of people are scared of a 1000 in all honesty) It would create a world were the biggest competion from the manufactures would be in the 800cc models therefore giving you a hell of a ride to choose from.

And the rest of us with sharp and clean 1000's would be at the top of the pack no longer able to be reached.
post #7 of 29 Old 01-06-2009, 8:36 PM

Reputation Power: 36

Hard to say but my thoughts were quite the opposite. I feel the litre bikes will go up to 1100 once again partly because of Ducati and since they can make the components lighter and stronger, you won't have to have all the beef associated with an 1100.

Soon an 1100 bike will handle more like a 600. This way you can have all the midrange and power you want. Basically having your cake and eat it too. Electronic modes like the Suzuki has will be able to tame it for the street as well.
post #8 of 29 Old 01-06-2009, 9:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzee View Post
Hard to say but my thoughts were quite the opposite. I feel the litre bikes will go up to 1100 once again partly because of Ducati and since they can make the components lighter and stronger, you won't have to have all the beef associated with an 1100.

Soon an 1100 bike will handle more like a 600. This way you can have all the midrange and power you want. Basically having your cake and eat it too. Electronic modes like the Suzuki has will be able to tame it for the street as well.
Very nice thoughts, i like your input.

After riding the new 1k i fully believe they can mass produce a litre bike that handles like a 6.

I do still feel that these organizations pushing for superbikes to get off the roads will make a bid in the manufactures getting away from the litre bikes. Plus like i mentioned there are less of us who feel comfortable handling such a large displacement. Therefore they want to put dollars in what makes cents pun fully intended. This has some backing in the idea that only two companies make the 1300 plus div. There is not enough sales in busa's and ZX 14 to really compete four or five ways.

Ducati and Aprilia will always be just that, the top of the line (like ferrari and lambo's) that the rich can inflate the size of there peckers with. ( I am just envious of Ducati owners they are a sick machine.)
post #9 of 29 Old 01-06-2009, 9:03 PM Thread Starter

Let me also add I am really only talking about the Superbike race replicas. I know all brand names will have 1000 plus cc models, whether naked or a slightly more toned down version of motorcycle. I never meant to say that the litre bikes will be gone forever.

Just that the trend with the race replica CBR10RR GSXR 1000 R1 ext. might jump to the 800cc level.

Please everyone keep giving your thoughts and input that is what i hoped to achieve with this post.
post #10 of 29 Old 01-07-2009, 11:28 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Send a message via AIM to on1wheel01

I can't fathom that they would stop making 1k's. But hey they have become so dayum oogly they might as well. I hope the next honda redesign looks better someone should be shoot.
post #11 of 29 Old 01-08-2009, 3:06 AM

I don't think they'll make an 800 class because of motogp since nothing on there engines can be production based and WSBK and superbikes are. I think we'll see more stuff like the R1 cross plain crank for 09. have you heard that thing with a race exhaust? Sounds like a 1098R.
post #12 of 29 Old 01-08-2009, 11:55 AM

Reputation Power: 13

The way i see it happening is Honda will probably keep the I-4 1000cc for a while, but we might get a few more options along the way.

1000cc V-4 ala the VFR or some new branding, the V-4 configuration lends itself to better torque curves but with the technology available today I doubt it would lose much top end take the uber insane Desmosedici from Ducati for example.

1000cc+ V-5 ala the RC 211 212 ilk. This in my opinion would be the way Honda should lean. there are a few things that make this engine difficult to produce for the masses, most notably the exhaust plumbing, but the power to weight to size ratio is awesome not to mention that they sound sick.

As for styling I prefer the 08-09 Blades to everything else honda has offered, the 06-07 Blades looked bulky and the undertail exhaust was poorly executed. I would like to see Honda keep the design of its race replicas in line with their actual race bikes where less is more, the GP exhaust position is great. Other than that i would like a little more user friendliness in the bodywork department...I am not good at origami so working on the new Blades was a painstaking lesson in ridiculous design. Another thing I want is real clip-on handle bars, these honda bars suck because you are pretty much stuck with the position you get from the manufacturer.
post #13 of 29 Old 01-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

The V5 has been rumored for quite sometime now. The V4 was always more expensive to build than the I4, I'm sure the V5 will be even more expensive.
post #14 of 29 Old 01-08-2009, 12:18 PM

Reputation Power: 12

While some may want to lean towards 800cc as the top bikes, I would seriously doubt this is going to happen. The flagship models from the manufacturers always have to be getting better/faster/better handling etc, or else why should anyone buy a new bike? Its much easier to get 150hp out of 1000cc than 800cc, im not saying that its hard to do, but it will cost more. In my mind its much easier to sell a cheaper bike with a larger engine.
post #15 of 29 Old 01-08-2009, 12:21 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizog View Post
I bought big bore over 600cc for the roll on anywhere grunt, I don't use the top end I just midrange it around. Methinks the 800 would make up for its lack of cc by revving higher, likely robbing it of low and midrange power.
Yep! once in the hills I am in 1st or 2nd but droning on the superslab it is nice to have torque and lower RPM.

Must obey the sheep dog

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page