Steering Head Update - No lock? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-29-2003, 9:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Steering Head Update - No lock?

I've searched, and I know it used to be in the Knowledge Base, but it seems that maybe we've (temporarily) lost some info in the recent database changes.

I've finally given in to the steering head update, but like many others, my ignition lock no longer works. I'm not really into taking the bike back to the dealership and would rather fix it myself.

Can anyone tell me how to re-align the locking pin with the holes in the steering head. It looks like the pin is about 1/4" low.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-29-2003, 9:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Re: Steering Head Update - No lock?

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/sho...&threadid=2311
post #3 of 7 Old 11-29-2003, 10:12 AM

Reputation Power: 20

I got my done a few weeks ago, (after hacking off my scotts) and there are no problems with the locking? I have actually ridden the bike at the gap without the scotts...it is awesome!!!

1998 CBR900RR - Red - SOLD!!!
2002 CBR954RR - Silver SOLD !!!
2002 CBR954RR - Black SOLD !!!
2005 CR125
2013 BMW HP4 !!! Wow!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-29-2003, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks, Conq. I didn't come up with that one when I searched. Unfortunately, it didn't really resolve the problem. It would seem that the "answer" is to choose between rising the top yoke to fit, or shimming the yoke to fit. Basically, same thing, but with or without the shim.

Both seem a little suspect to me -- guess I'll just deal with no lock; I never really use it anyway. It just bugs to not have it "right" after the update.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-29-2003, 8:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Im not sure which bearing are in mine, I presume that the post recall bearings were used as it isnt that old, in any case the front end of my bike has lately felt quiet nervous and I could feel a very slight clunking at low speed over rough surfaces (although there wasnt any noticable play), so i had a sneaking suspision that the headset needed retensioning, I think the headset is supposed to be tensioned to about 29nm, I just added a little more tension (at first I tensioned it a little too much, but seemed to get it right on the second attempt) and now its like a new bike, its just much more confidence inspiring in turns and I dont feel myself using such a death grip as I had been lately leading to arm pump and definately dont feel the need for a steering dampner now!

2004 1000RR Racebike

www.jungleboyracing.com
post #6 of 7 Old 11-30-2003, 12:06 PM

Had a similar prob with the lock after my recall.
Found that the lock holes were very slightly out of line and 30 seconds with a riffler file to slightly enlarge the holes sorted the problem with no messing with shims!
post #7 of 7 Old 11-30-2003, 12:40 PM

when i had mine done it would not lock and thanks to the org. i knew to check it before i left they resolved the problem by putting a washer under the triple tree to raise it up and it worked fine!! Before i got the bearings done this thing was uncontrollable headshake all the time, since i got it done which has been bout 9 months hasnt shaken since!!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page