Extremely frustrating clutch slip, with a more stressful suprise. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 01-30-2009, 8:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Extremely frustrating clutch slip, with a more stressful suprise.

So after adjusting my clutch cable for a couple weeks ive decided this clutch slip has to be the friction plates. So I order a set of plates and springs, for my "1993" cbr 900. After a week of bullsh!t excuses from my local supplier as to why they were shipping so slow, I get the kit. I do the job, old friction plates not visibly really worn, but there were ten friction plates in the bike!!! Yes, two plates on each other without a metal plate in between. So yeah I pull the bike out, excited to finally get some power out of it for the first time since I bought it, but I lean over the side to adjust the clutch, and something catches my eye, the CC stamp on the engine...919cc. Yep, my 93 frame has a much newer engine in it, good news, but also terrible. Just put the wrong plates in. Try em anyway shifts so smooth, clutch lever feels so much better, now it slips more than ever. What the f*ck is wrong, please I beg someone to help me. And I doubt its the clutch plates, they cant be that off, can they? And the old plates didnt even look that worn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-31-2009, 4:00 AM

Reputation Power: 15

Re: Extremely frustrating clutch slip, with a more stressful suprise.

what oil are you using
post #3 of 26 Old 01-31-2009, 7:56 AM Thread Starter

not sure what the last guy had but i put motul 3000 20w50 (mineral in it yesterday)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 01-31-2009, 10:27 AM

Reputation Power: 14

I looked on Bike Bandit, and the part numbers for the clutch for the 919 engine are different from the 893cc engine, so there could be a slight thickness difference between the two types of engines, causing the slip. You should also check the spring lengths. One other thing is check the basket for grooves where the friction plates touch. If there are big grooves, then it might prevent the plates from fully contacting each other. If I were you, I would get the right clutch disk set for that engine, and go from there. (and replace the springs if they seem to short.) For oil, never use an automotive oil with friction reducing additives, as these will make your clutch slip. A clutch is fairly basic, so I'm sure it's either getting the right disks, and/or replacing the springs.
post #5 of 26 Old 01-31-2009, 11:47 AM

Also, did you soak the new friction plates in oil before fitting them?
post #6 of 26 Old 01-31-2009, 8:53 PM Thread Starter

Yes I definitely soaked them. I have a manual for the 919 models by chance, and I need to know which year the engine is, 96-97 or 98-99, because even those clutches are apparently very different. I have the engine identification number but I cant find any site that would tell me which year it was made. I found 10 clutch friction plates inside when i did the job and would love to know why, as far as i can tell 96-97 have 9 plates and 98-99 have 8. This confuses me so much and I cant stand having a bike that wont push past 70mph or accellerate above 5k revs. I know the plates i have in right now are for 93, yeah, but theres something else, I know it. In the manual it says something about using the shallow slots in the outer basket for the last plates, but the diagrams and pictures dont fully explain that situation, I can make sense of it but I might be misunderstanding what it means. Anybody have any specific experience with the set up of a 919 clutch? I would be forever indebted to you.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-31-2009, 9:07 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by scantron View Post
Yes I definitely soaked them. I have a manual for the 919 models by chance, and I need to know which year the engine is, 96-97 or 98-99, because even those clutches are apparently very different. I have the engine identification number but I cant find any site that would tell me which year it was made. I found 10 clutch friction plates inside when i did the job and would love to know why, as far as i can tell 96-97 have 9 plates and 98-99 have 8. This confuses me so much and I cant stand having a bike that wont push past 70mph or accellerate above 5k revs. I know the plates i have in right now are for 93, yeah, but theres something else, I know it. In the manual it says something about using the shallow slots in the outer basket for the last plates, but the diagrams and pictures dont fully explain that situation, I can make sense of it but I might be misunderstanding what it means. Anybody have any specific experience with the set up of a 919 clutch? I would be forever indebted to you.
when you put all the plates in the teeth slide into the same groove all the way into the basket. The last outermost plate will slide into a different slot that is only one plate deep.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #8 of 26 Old 01-31-2009, 9:11 PM Thread Starter

Im an idiot, and thats exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you so much, tomorrow Ill put the plate in the right grove and see if I get any difference. My fingers are crossed!!!
post #9 of 26 Old 02-01-2009, 10:04 AM

Here is a link of the clutch diagram on Bike Bandit. I have used these diagrams myself when the manual is unclear in describing something.

1997 Honda Motorcycle Parts for CBR900RR, OEM and Aftermarket at BikeBandit.com

This is for a 97, so just change the year once you figure out the year of your bike.
post #10 of 26 Old 02-02-2009, 1:50 AM Thread Starter

OK well Im pretty sure my engine is the 96-97 because of the ten clutch plates, so because those two plates were touching when i first checked I guess someone lost track of one of the metal ones. I'll get one of those and that might be the fix itself, but unfortunately I broke off one of the spring bolts trying to take the pressure plate off, I think its too small to drill through so I need a new inner clutch basket and a bolt+washer. I hate how nothing ever goes right. You have no clue how happy I would be if this clutch would stop slipping.
post #11 of 26 Old 02-02-2009, 4:54 PM

Reputation Power: 13

The 2 friction plates together would definitely give you a problem. For future reference, when tightening the spring bolts, use a 1/4" ratchet and just snug them. Also just for reference, I have never put last friction in the odd slot of clutch basket and have never had a problem with slippage. I'd recommend getting some Barnett springs, too. They are alot better than stock. For friction and steel plates, nothing but OEM. Make sure you put the friction with larger ID in first. It's larger so it can fit over judder spring. When installing clutch, I have a small Rubbermaid bowl that I fill with oil and just dip them in it and install.
post #12 of 26 Old 02-02-2009, 7:52 PM

I've broken off bolts before on my engine case. Get a dremel with a really fine grinding bit, like something a dentist would use, and cut a slot in the end for a flat head screw driver. Has worked several times for me.
post #13 of 26 Old 02-02-2009, 8:40 PM Thread Starter

It's just that these ridiculous unorthodox situations happen to me and only me. Like, who the hell takes a metal clutch plate out and just loses it, not bothering to replace it before selling it to someone. I couldve just bought an extra plate if thats all I needed, but now Ive wasted money on foolish errors of mine, 80 on a 93 clutch, and now I have to replace the clutch center, which will be another 80, because of a stupid little bolt that broke. Just to reassure myself something else wont go wrong, I might just get an entire replacement assembly, new steels, frictions, springs, inner basket.
post #14 of 26 Old 02-02-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater! View Post
I've broken off bolts before on my engine case. Get a dremel with a really fine grinding bit, like something a dentist would use, and cut a slot in the end for a flat head screw driver. Has worked several times for me.
Such an awesome idea, just got the rest of that bolt out by vibrating it and twisting slowly with a dremel engraver, saved me quite a few bucks.
post #15 of 26 Old 02-03-2009, 4:25 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Those 2 fibers against each other had to grinding each other silly. If it were me, I would drop the pan and check the pickup screen for clutch material. I would also change oil, run it a few miles then change it again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page