Underbraking stutter - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-31-2009, 3:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Underbraking stutter

Hey all, i my 04 blade4 has this slow stutter i can feel in the handlebars the nearer i get to final stopping position. I am 99% sure i had this same problem just before i replaced my front brake pads 2 months ago. And after replacing them it was gone completely.

It seems to be the same stuttering effect. Its not a major thing, just annoying and only once i am close to stopping it seems to take effect. Ive tried braking and just before stopping releasing the brakes and its still there. I am starting to think its maybe worn neck bearings or front wheel bearings.

My brake pads are only 2 months old, and the reference grooves in the pads are still very visible so i very much doubt its themn being worn out. apart from this the blade rides and steers perfect no problems otherwise.

I will go to my friends bikes shop to sort this out if i cant get advice here.

I have gone through this link and even responded on it last time and as you can see in my response my brake pads were the problem before now i dont know.
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...ke-judder.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-01-2009, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to phantom45 Send a message via MSN to phantom45 Send a message via Yahoo to phantom45
Re: Underbraking stutter

i have the same issue on my 954. ran through a few senairos. rotors, tire, head or wheel bearings. then i realized it only does it after engaging the clutch for the last second or two before coming to a stop. when the motor is unloaded from the drivetrain. it comes and goes, so its hard to pinpoint it cause it catches you a bit off guard when it happens. but i def feel it more on the clutch side of the bars. i dont know if its from slop in the basket or a bearing down there or what. i dont know enough about what goes on down there to make a firm opinion on what exactly it is but come spring i will do some r&d with the service manual and try to narrow it down. i dont believe it anything too serious, i mean i use my bike hard, really hard, and it has not occured any more frequent then when i first noticed it. which was about a month after i bought the bike in early 07. its def an annoyance. esp if you like your stuff to be right but i wouldnt sweat it. let me know if you figure it out before i get a chance to when the weather breaks.

* try shifting into neutral early and have the rpms at idle and then stop and see if it still rumbles.

Last edited by phantom45; 02-01-2009 at 1:02 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-01-2009, 5:51 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Without digging too deep, remove your rotors a check if they are warped. Don't you do this, take it to somebody with a lathe. If they're warped by .05" it's enough for you to feel it and not see it without the proper equipment. I know it's possible to flatten disks, but where is another question. Good luck, 'cuase those puppies cost a fortune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-01-2009, 9:39 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

Hi Wurn, do you brake Extremely hard a lot, for example you're speeding up and having to slow down very quickly? Lanzarote is a small island for the blade, and I had plenty left on the pads but cooked them so to speak, once changed they were fine.
But as thelastosirus said could be warped rotors, worth having a pro check it all out. Good luck, sorry couldn't be of more help

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog
post #5 of 9 Old 02-05-2009, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Thx for replies guys, and no i dont brake hard at all, i mostly use engine braking combined with back brake and front brake, allways.

Hey phantom45 i will try what you said and see if it makes a difference.

I will let you guys know if i get a solution
post #6 of 9 Old 02-05-2009, 10:16 AM

Reputation Power: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurn View Post
Thx for replies guys, and no i dont brake hard at all, i mostly use engine braking combined with back brake and front brake, allways.

Hey phantom45 i will try what you said and see if it makes a difference.

I will let you guys know if i get a solution
when and if you find out if you could let me know? as i have the same thing!

Back on the road again!...
post #7 of 9 Old 02-05-2009, 3:43 PM

Reputation Power: 17

My 929 does the samething I was thinking wheel bearings, but maybe my pads and/or rotors are roached.

Looks like its time for some of these front and back....
58cycle Parts & Accessories Webstore

And these....

Oh and some of these would definitly help.......

But then I would need these...

And some of these.... just kidding I could be here all night.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-05-2009, 6:02 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Could be that they are floating rotors.... Just one thing that it could be though.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-16-2009, 1:43 PM Thread Starter

OK, guys I called up my friend who's been in teh biking trade for years, has his own bike shop. He took my bike for a ride, did a hard stoppie and came back and problem was solved.

SO he reckons theres nothing wrong with the pads or neck bearings or brakes. THey were only glazed as he calls it. And by doing a very very hard brake it will clear it right up. As ive said in the topic after replacing my old pads with new ones it seem to have solved the problem.

So that sorted out my problem. Pls note that my brakes worked well, and the stuttering was very slightly felt in the handlebars and even if i release the clutch and had the bike in neutral coming to a stop i still felt the stutter.

I honestly dont know if you guys have similar or worst feeling in the handlebars, but i think if it feels very bad then rather go to a honda dealer and have it checked out.

Otherwise if the bike brakes and you can live with it until next brake pad change then leave it as is. Hope i could give you guys some help here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page