oil on spark plugs, is it normal? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-01-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

oil on spark plugs, is it normal?

So I changed my spark plugs last night (definitely easier going through the top as long as a universal socket is available) and there was oil on the all the spark plugs. Not a lot, but it was definitely there. The plugs were in good condition for having at least 9,000 miles on them (maybe even 14,000, can't tell when previous owner changed them or if he did). The bike went down last October, all fairing and cosmetic damage. No leaking fluids and it doesn't seem to burn oil. So is it normal to have some oil on the plugs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-02-2009, 4:59 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Re: oil on spark plugs, is it normal?

No, it's not normal. Was it wet oil or just burned on? Have you kept up with oil consumption between changes? Are you losing some? It's possible(but unlikely) some oil got in there when it was dropped.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-02-2009, 5:22 PM

Reputation Power: 59

When the bike is running, is there a tinge of blue smoke being emitted from the exhaust?

For oil to be on the plugs, it must be burning it therefore I would assume that some where along the lines, oil is being allowed through... I would therefore say piston rings, but not knowing your mileage is hard to say.

"Second is the first of the losers..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-02-2009, 5:44 PM

Reputation Power: 36

The real important thing is that they are all the same jesse. Secondly, are they wet as cbr900 asked or just carboned and dryish black? A lot, especially since all are the same, has to do with the type of running it did before it was last shut down. If you did, for example a lot of slow riding and idling last time it was running, you'll end up with black plugs.

Just be careful you aren't calling it oil when it may only be carbon from unburned fuel.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-03-2009, 6:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Was the oil on the outside ceramic or on the electrode part in the cylinder? if its outside its probably just a cam cover leak. If there is visibly oil being left on the plugs inside the engine then I'm surprised it hasn't fouled the plugs and stopped it running!

Is the motor using oil between changes?
post #6 of 8 Old 02-03-2009, 7:54 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 12

Hey, thanks for all the replys first off.

There was some slight oil on the threads of the electrode that was wet when I removed them. And yes, there was about the same amount on all the plugs. Maybe #1 had the most and #3 had the least, but they were pretty even. The bike has just over 15K miles. It never burned oil and oil consumption was next to nothing before it went down. Right after I went down, I picked it up and rode it about a 1.5 miles back to my house and it sounded/felt fine (considering broken pride). Then (3 months later) I changed the oil and plugs and just started it up. It fired right up with a little smoke and rich smell at first, but I let it warm all the up until the fan kicked on at about 212 f, the entire time there was no rich smell (other than normal) and it revved and sounded like a champ. I'm thinking it could have been from laying over, but we'll see when I actually get it on the road. I'll keep you updated, thanks.

Last edited by jesse954; 02-03-2009 at 7:59 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-03-2009, 8:46 AM

Reputation Power: 36

You should be fine jesse. When the bike was on its side, oil likely settled into the cylinders a little and then you parked the bike. New plugs and a good run is all you need but be careful.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-03-2009, 9:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

+1 with Denzee - get out there and give it a run. If your paraniod then whip the plugs out after a bit of use and see. I missed the bit in your original post about droping it but I doubt you have anything to worry about - its a Honda afterall

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page