Noob! Got some q's for y'all... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-04-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Noob! Got some q's for y'all...

What is up!

First off, thanks for the forum fellas. Getting back on a bike after quite some time. Had a "good" accident back when and learned to grow up. Now that I'm 34 and am stable, I'm getting back on. It's been a little while to say the least.

Picked up a '03 954 from a friend. The guy used to "stunt it" so there were no plastics or anything. Had a good lay down and took the left clip-on/signal/clutch lever completely out and tore a hole down the tank. Frame sliders and swingarm spools looked to have took the brunt of the damage.

So after looking on the 'net a little and learning about what to look for in a 954 (cracked block etc...) I realized this was a good deal. Clean title, 8k miles on the cracked speedo.

I took her down to what I feel is a decent starting point. Removed all the crapped out plastics and pieces.

I for sure know that I need a set of wheels, a tank and possibly a new set of plastics, and more than likely a speedo if since this one is cracked up on the display screen and not a whole lot comes up on it with key on.

The help I might need right away is:

Wheels-I know of course 954 wheels will fit but are there any other wheels from say, a 1000rr or 929 that will fit so that I can broaden my search horizons. Not really looking for chrome wheels...lol....

Tank-Prolly gotta go with a 954 piece here.

Plastics-I know this is prolly a sticky subject. If money was no object, I'd drop the money for a OEM set. Well, money is scarce round here with a wife, 4 kids and a grandkid on the way. I've looked around and thought that getting some ebay oem used pieces might be the way to go, but then I'm looking at more than likely repairing the pieces that I get and painting them. (painting not an issue as I can shoot paint) I do like the idea of getting an aftermarket set of "Hong Kong" plastics for $600 or so shipped. I'd really love some advice here since I'm sure most of you have first hand knowledge of the OEM/Aftermarket brands.

Speedo-again, prolly gotta go with a 954 piece here as well right??

Again, thanks fellas for any direction and advice you would like to share.

Take care,
Ivan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-04-2009, 10:29 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Re: Noob! Got some q's for y'all...

not sure about the parts swap on the wheels, and gauge, but look around and see what you can find on the fairings.. lot of guys sell rashed sets from track use and what not.. or find a decent hong kong set, they won't be perfect, but you didn't start out with perfection either.. if you find something you like in aftermarket get it..
post #3 of 14 Old 02-04-2009, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the clip-ons between the 1k's and 954/929s are the same??? Forgot to ask.

Thanks again,
Ivan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-04-2009, 11:45 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Check out Craigs list. You might find someone parting out a 954 and can get a tank for cheap, along with some plastics.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-05-2009, 12:32 AM

Reputation Power: 13

I'm sure you have found that even used fairings in good condition will set you back about as much as the hong kong ones. I would go the hong kong route, there are more color options and all you would have to do is find a good tank and spray to match. Just look for the best feedback rating. Finding a full set of matching used fairings can be a daunting task, Iv'e been looking for a full set of titaniums on and off for a full year and to get the whole set plus tank in bolt up condition I haven't been able to do it for less than 1250, plus ordering from multiple people etc.

Honda or Nothing!
post #6 of 14 Old 02-05-2009, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

I'm thinking the same way.....id be that guy waiting on that one last piece to complete the set...

Thats gotta take some time. I could see if I had a set and I was wanting a second to paint or change.

Prolly gonna go with some HK's off ebay...

And there are some decent tanks there too.

Thanks and I'll keep everyone posted on how it turns out.

Take care,
Ivan
post #7 of 14 Old 02-05-2009, 2:48 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

1000RR wheels to '07 at least are a direct fit. They do have a different spoke design to the 929/954 wheels though. Rear disc, sprocket and carrier are identical parts.
The discs are smaller though so you'll probably prefer to run your original discs.
Tank and instruments are 954-specific.
The only drawback to the HK fairings is you are unlikely to be able to buy a single panel if you damage one beyond repair and I don't know how well OEM panels fit them.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 14 Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

That's exactly what I needed to hear brother! I got a few guys already hitting me up with speedos and clip ons.

That's great news about the wheels. I think that the three spoke on the 954 leaves something to be desired anyhow so having those other options might open up my search a little.

Thansk alot for the tips/info and I'll be sure to post up some rolling pics once I get there.

Nobody cares to see a naked missing link 954....sadness! lol.

Any other good ideas or anything still appreciated.

Take care,
Ivan
post #9 of 14 Old 02-05-2009, 11:54 AM

Reputation Power: 12

If you go with Hong Kong fairings go with the ones from auctmart. I ve dealt with a few sets from diff companies and those were the best all around.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-05-2009, 9:15 PM Thread Starter

That's the exact seller I was looking at...looks like they got a decent feedback score but I'd really like to see more than just that one pic that they have of the "movistar" fairings that they got.

Can you tell me how fitiment is with em?? I don't mind doing what I gotta do, but once I put em on I don't want them to look like they are sliding off the damn bike either. lol.

Any pics of the Aucmarts??? Anyone??

I'll prolly end up going with em since I ain't got the patience to wait around for a piece here or there.

I wanna start riding again and with the weather we've been having, I feel like every day is a day lost..

Thanks alot,
Ivan
post #11 of 14 Old 02-05-2009, 9:21 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to WyoJames Send a message via MSN to WyoJames

With the HK fairings they aren't going to fit like OEM ones and in some cases you will have to do a little work to get them to fit just right, but then again, it is only $600 for a full set of fairings and I'd be alright with doing a little work and/or having it look a little off in a couple places and save half the money. In most cases I haven't really seen a HK fairing set look bad in the end.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-05-2009, 9:22 PM Thread Starter

nice nice!!

I agree, for less than half the price of new ones, man, they are hard to beat.

Any major differences?? Pics???

Thanks again,
Ivan
post #13 of 14 Old 02-05-2009, 9:26 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to WyoJames Send a message via MSN to WyoJames

I don't have an HK set myself, although I contemplated it, just can't get myself to drop money on fairings when the ones on my bike are in perfect condition haha. Just look around on a lot of honda forums and there are a ton of write ups about them with detailed pictures of them in the box, out of the box, and finally on the bike. The only thing I've seen that would bother me is a couple paint runs here and there, but it seems to be a hit or miss type of thing, but once again, they're only $600
post #14 of 14 Old 02-05-2009, 9:32 PM Thread Starter

Great Idea!

Google is my friend.

Thx-Ivan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page