Alright, another Oil one... What % of bikes? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-06-2009, 7:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Alright, another Oil one... What % of bikes?

Alright, I'm sorry to keep beating this horse, BUT! I was almost about to buy an 08 blade until I got wind of this oil problem, and even though I've read that a lot of people have been having problems, it doesnt really give me any idea on the bigger picture. Does anyone (mechanic/tuner etc) have any idea what percentage of new Blades are having oil consumption problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-07-2009, 9:46 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Alright, another Oil one... What % of bikes?

Need a poll... Not sure iff this web hosting thingy will enable such a thing?

I read the Oil Consumption posts once I had already put my deposit down..

I didn't let it stop me buying, and I can say mine has just had the 600 mile service and has used No oil what so ever..
post #3 of 16 Old 02-08-2009, 1:42 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, a poll would probably sort it out. If I can sort of get a better idea of what percentage, then I'll probably get one (assuming it's good enough... or low enough). I gather there's a slight manufacturing fault with the new blade... and hopefully 09 will bring some small changes. Currently got an 05 ZX10 which is doing ok... may have to wait
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-08-2009, 1:59 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

A poll would prove nothing. While you are trying to get a good statistic to those that have the issue to those that don't, the poll would show a higher percentage of failures. Here is why. People that have never joined a forum before would join to ask if the oil consumption was normal, people that don't have an issue would not join. It is the people with the problem that are heard. It is safe to say that there are probably 50 to 100 people on this forum that have complained about oil consumption, it is also safe to say that Honda had sold at least 25,000 '08 RR's. Is that statistic flawed? Yes it is, and so would a poll.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-08-2009, 5:04 AM
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 139

Send a message via MSN to Sideshow bob

.... I think Lan is right .... a poll wont prove anything....

I'd think more on the lines of would you buy a bike that might use exessive oil...

and if you bought one and it turned out to use too much....other than having to top it up more regularly.. would there be any other issues?

Don't think anyones has had a major failure due to oil consumption?!

As long as I fall, I don't hit the ground. As long as I fall, I'm safe & sound.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-08-2009, 5:34 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I only want to get a rough idea of what kinda figure we're talking about, and from what you're saying, it's a very small amount (not taking into account those that haven't made problems known).

I don't know if it's going to be an issue as people rack up more km's or not (unlikely I know), but I guess it might we worth waiting to see how things go... i.e. wait for the '10 - I understand there were meant to be no changes for '09.

I'm no mechanic, but major failure from oil consumption would only seem likely with a rider that doesn't check oil regularly. Would you end up with fouled pistons/valves etc?

Wonder if the dealer would give it to me in writing (from Honda) that they'll replace it if it's chewin the oil up .........
post #7 of 16 Old 02-08-2009, 5:48 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMurray View Post

Wonder if the dealer would give it to me in writing (from Honda) that they'll replace it if it's chewin the oil up .........
.....think you'll get laughed outer the door

personaly..
refilling the oil every 5mins would drive me up the wall...

my Brother used to have an old triumph.. renowned for their oil leaks.. every morning it would be found looking like a puppy sat next to a puddle of pee ..but, he loved that old bike and put up with it ... i woulda had it put down

post #8 of 16 Old 02-08-2009, 6:04 AM Thread Starter

*laughs* Yep... Here in Darwin, the ol' 'customer service' lasts only til you hand over the money for the bike. That's how I manged to get a 250km test ride... and it really is a great bike too... which makes it all the more depressing. I'm not even game to go near the Ducati/Yamaha/Suzuki dealer here... They're absolutely pathetic...

I don't want to have to worry about oil on a new bike... none of the other bikes I've owned have had problems (Honda's included).

I wonder what they'll do for 2010.... no doubt something electric with abs, airbag and a seatbelt... would be just my luck...
post #9 of 16 Old 02-08-2009, 6:21 AM
Global Moderator

BTW... there has already been a poll...

try these

View Poll Results

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...rning-oil.html

post #10 of 16 Old 02-08-2009, 6:36 AM Thread Starter

Ahhh, cool. Cheers mate.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

I have an '08 and never voted on that poll.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-10-2009, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
I have an '08 and never voted on that poll.
So, you were trying to skew the poll???

j/k - you were right on target with your earlier answer about the poll.. Further lacking is additional info that tries to isolate any differences between those that burn and those that don't (e.g., riding style, break-in habits, etc.). I'm especially partial to break-in: Good break-in of a new motor has a lot to do with not only motor life expectancy, but total BHP production, too.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-10-2009, 7:22 PM Thread Starter

How many modern sportsbikes, whether broken in according to the manufacturer or ridden hard from day one, would use up to 1L/1000km?

Don't get me wrong, I loved the bike when I rode it, but I just wanted to be as informed as possible before I paid up. I have had new bikes before, and even though I know that are 'more effective' ways of breaking in a bike, it seems a bit wierd to have to have a checklist on breaking in (or you're gonna get a bad one.)

I guess bottom line, at this point, is that I'm not going to buy a 2008 model blade. Partly because of the potential problems (oil, exhaust, paint) and partly because I have a lousy dealer. I got completely paid off yesterday when I asked my local dealer about it. Actually said I'd been reading what others had been posting on the Honda forums, and if they had heard anything. Their response being, "We don't listen to stupid chit chat. We wait for an official announcement from Honda, and they always do any recalls before there have been any complaints". Needless to say, he doesn't own a blade, and seemed to think that all the people out there didn't know anything about their bikes.

So there it is, straight from the dealer. You guys have no idea what you're talking about, and the only things I should believe come from Honda directly.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-10-2009, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I loved the bike when I rode it, but I just wanted to be as informed as possible before I paid up.

Quote:
I have had new bikes before, and even though I know that are 'more effective' ways of breaking in a bike, it seems a bit wierd to have to have a checklist on breaking in (or you're gonna get a bad one.)
Not sure what you're trying to say here - nothing weird about having a checklist to follow. (In my own experience, it's not quite as formal as a "checklist", just some things I do to help ensure my engines get broken in properly).

My point was that taking a poll on who's got oil consumption issues (informal or not) that doesn't take some additional info into account will be even more skewed than already pointed out by lanbrown and sideshow bob.

You might want to consider contacting Honda directly on your experience with the dealer you referred to. Manufacturer's do like to hear what's going on, contrary to what the might have said..

Quote:
Actually said I'd been reading what others had been posting on the Honda forums, and if they had heard anything. Their response being, "We don't listen to stupid chit chat. We wait for an official announcement from Honda, and they always do any recalls before there have been any complaints".
Heh - I had to re-read this a few times to understand which "they" you meant.. I don't put much faith in local dealers - especially "front office/sales types". You want the lowdown, find a tech or two and offer to buy 'em a beer.. They'll tell you.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-10-2009, 8:27 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, the 'they' was the dealer. I would always come here for info before asking a dealer. Do have one good tech up here though, who's taking care of the tuning of my Blade and ZX10.

As for the checklist bit, I understand there are a few different schools of thought, however a new sportsbike must have some leeway. There's no exact way to break in a bike (unless you take Honda's guidelines as gospel). Even if the engine isn't broken in perfectly, surely it wouldn't have that much of an effect on oil usage?

As for the poll... definitely a bad idea. You're right in that there are still too many variables. The sample of riders is also too small...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page