please help with 900rr purchase - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-07-2009, 3:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

please help with 900rr purchase

I would really appreciate some expert guidance on this...

I went to see a 900rr today, a 95. It is immaculate but for a couple minor nicks. It is actually cleaner than my 07 gsxr!

I would have put a deposit down, but for one small(maybe) problem i noticed... there was what appeared to be a slight oil leak from the valve cover gasket.... and maybe the basegasket on the left(drooled down and slid across?). i first noticed the oil on the centre 2 exhaust manifolds, but when i shined the flashlight up, it did appear to go higher.

Is this a common problem? I have never owned a 900rr... or a honda for that matter. Easy fix?

other than this... the bike ran amazing, sweet as a nut, sparkling clean, original but for a K&N and a bolt-on can. It has 33000miles, but has only been ridden about 500 in the past few years by the 2nd owner (who has several bikes to choose from in his garage). these are the only miles he has put on it.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-07-2009, 3:55 PM

Reputation Power: 166

Re: please help with 900rr purchase

Well I can't help to diagnose what it might be (other than new gaskets required? ) but I did quite a bit of research before buying my 900 and never read about this - so doubt it is common. The engines should be good for some serious miles, well over 100k (if looked after).

The only faults I read about were the stator and the regulator/rectifier can fail. Camchain tensioners are also mentioned as something to look out for.

Have you ridden the bike yet? With regards to the K&N and end can, these 'Blades are quite tempremental when it comes to fuelling, if not set up properly. I also have an air filter & exhaust fitted. My bike's fuelling wasn't great (no power after rolling off/on the throttle, then it would kick in.... just as you're cranked over in a bend ). I got a Dynojet kit fitted at my local centre and now the fuelling is bang-on, smooth as anything.

I'm sure someone on here will be able to shed some light on the oil leaks for you.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-07-2009, 4:25 PM

Reputation Power: 18

I can't help diagnose the problem either - but I do own a 31000 mile 95 RRR blade and do not suffer the oil leak problem (have owned bike for 6+ years).

I would look into it a little more....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-08-2009, 3:09 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

thanks guys.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-10-2009, 12:25 AM

Reputation Power: 13

33,000 miles is a bit on the high side but if the bike runs well it shouldn't matter, esp. if it was taken care of.

My '93 900rr has zero leaks and has about 22,000 miles.

I don't think this is normal at all, rarely do I hear of a Honda, any Honda leaking oil.

In fact, this might be the first I've heard.

You wanna find out what the problem is first, or you could be buying someone else's problem.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-10-2009, 12:27 AM

I also owned a '93 600f2 that said it had about 22,000 miles on the odometer.

But judging on the wear and tear this bike had, I'm guessing it had about double that number.

But still, zero oil leaks.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-13-2009, 10:37 PM

It may just be the valve cover gasket (it's rubber and prone to harden over time). When you test rode it, did you run the crap out of it? (especially going into 2nd). Always wring a used bike out to check tranny.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page