The Reaper came callin yesterday.(long) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-01-2003, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ
The Reaper came callin yesterday.(long)

Well I can say that 954's crash very well. I went on an afternoon ride with grassaholic yeaterday and had a brain fart. Slammed my 54 off a rock face on Kitt Peak. Damage could have been worse but I'm pissed at myself for losing my concerntration for a split second. Twisted my ankle and cut my knee up but I'm sore as hell today. As far as damage to the bike, I did a quick estimate and got to $2000 really fast. On the plus side the bike didn't get smashed too bad on the right and ruin my brand new Hindle...whew. The left got the brunt of the damage. As far as I can see I need a new upper fairing, left fairing, radiator, front wheel, left mirror, shift lever, kickstand, right lower fairing, and stator cover. The worst part about the whole thing was I had just slowed down since we were almost at the top. I'm still not 100% sure what happened but I know it was totally avoidable. I remember thinking that I needed to give more throttle and lean more, but my hand and foot had a different thing in mind.

When I started to get close to the shoulder of the road the azz end went off and sucked me into the soft soil. I was headed straight towards this large rock that was sloped like a ramp. You guessed it, I hit that sucker and remember seeing my bike flying through the air with the greatest of ease. I don't remember seeing it land since by that time I was face down in the gravel. I layed there for a few seconds and made sure I could move then proceeded to pick my bike up. I initially didn't look at it since my foot hurt so bad. I could then here my friend coming back down the mountain, who thought I maybe pulled over to take a wiz. When he saew the left side of my bike he knew otherwise. I feel bad for ruining a really nice riding day and making such a dumb mental error. Then of course I had to call my dad and have him drive the hour and a half to come pick me and the bike up. A good day turned bad. I'm just glad I'm ok and not hurt worse or dead. Hey at least I can replace bike parts and pieces.

Dano

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-01-2003, 10:43 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: The Reaper came callin yesterday.(long)

Thank goodness it wasn't any worse. Your post serves as an important reminder to all of us that even a split-second lapse in concentration can be costly, or worse. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for yourself and your bike!
post #3 of 19 Old 12-01-2003, 10:43 AM

Glad to hear you are okay Dano.

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 12-01-2003, 10:47 AM

Oh man, that blows. Good to hear you're alright otherwise. Reading your thread is kind of scary, I think everyone's been in that position of wanting to do one thing and not being able to(freezing up). Don't be too hard on yourself, sorry about the bike.
Things could have been a lot worse.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-01-2003, 11:09 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 32

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad it wasn't worse.

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #6 of 19 Old 12-01-2003, 12:23 PM

Sorry to hear about the prang. Any laps of thinking can really screw up a rider while a cage driver does better due to four wheels doing the balancing.

Hope physical injuries were as light as you thought & you can bet the bike back to proper form at a not to ghastly price.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-01-2003, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Glad you're OK.

Were you turning left and went wide, or did you cross the line on a right? ( confused, with damage on left side of bike)

Also, what were you wearing in the way of protective gear? Big rocks....(shudder)
post #8 of 19 Old 12-01-2003, 1:40 PM

Glad you didn't get hurt worse than you did. It has been a bummer of a year for motorcycle accidents.
post #9 of 19 Old 12-01-2003, 1:46 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

CBRVFR: It was a decreasing radius left turn. That momentary lapse of concentration made me miss the apex and I went wide. I tried to tell myself to just lean and give a little more throttle but that just didn't happen. When I hit the rock it launched the bike into the air and when it landed it rolled a bit then slid on it's left side. As far as what gear I had on....my SPEED Channel Arai Corsair, Frank Thomas jacket from my two piece suit I just bought, Joe Rocket Phx gloves, jeans, and my swat boots. I f I had been wearing my A-stars boots I wouldn't have twisted my ankle. I always wear them but yesterday decided not to. The jacket has a mark on the right elbow from the rocks I slid in. Thank God for CE armor. My helmet doesn't have a single scratch on it even though I slid face first in the gravel and rocks. Rick at Offbeat must have put like 30 coats of clearcoat on it. I'm just glad I wlaked...wel limped away. It could have been much worse and the bike parts are replacable so I'm not to bothered by it. Just a little miffed at myslef for losing my concentration for that spilt second. I have always been a cautious rider and always ride within my limits, just goes to show that even the safest rider can have a brain fart from time to time.

Dano

Dan
post #10 of 19 Old 12-01-2003, 2:06 PM

Dano,

Sorry to hear about your crash! But glad to hear your OK, man sounds like it could have been alot worse.

Hopefully you'll heal up quick!

Rick
post #11 of 19 Old 12-01-2003, 3:53 PM

Thanks for the additional explanation, Reaper. I think we learn from each other's experiences, and you were very forthright in your assessment..

To paraphrase Nietzsche, "that which doesn't kill us makes us better riders.."

Heal quick !

Dave
post #12 of 19 Old 12-01-2003, 8:16 PM

Oh man, sorry to read this post Dano That has to hurt a lot seeing your beautiful baby all dinged up. Just glad to hear that you were not hurt worse. Yes, Kitt Peak (as most mtn. roads, I would assume) has a couple or so of the dreaded decreasing radius turns.

Just a thought - were you guys riding fairly early in the morning? One thing we southern Arizonans tend to forget is the possibility of ice, especially at the higher altitudes. But mtn. roads usually have a few short sections that are shaded all day, or at least for a large portion of the day and those areas have the potential to really bite you in the ass.

Hope your bike looks like new soon!

post #13 of 19 Old 12-01-2003, 8:22 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Glad you're ok man. Take some time to heal up
post #14 of 19 Old 12-01-2003, 9:38 PM

Like they said in ground school "...any landing you can walk away from is a good landing." Any crash you can walk away from is just a "learning" experience. The bike can be fixed. Glad you're okay.
post #15 of 19 Old 12-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Ice

Glad your ok DANO

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page