Really lean..? Now what?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 6:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Really lean..? Now what??

I PM "JETPILOT" and he gave me some asnwers (bold letters) to a few questions I had on my 929..... my question now is what do I do about a lean running bike?? Oh and he wanted to know what add on part were installed....nothing major... Flapper removed and HTEV wires in midrange position, NGK iridium plugs. K&N filter(I think) and a two brother racing muffler.

Hey,
So I just had a few questions regarding this bike (929.) I got mine running well again and tonight I was sitting on it revving and what not and held it at about 9-11 grand for a few. I noticed that the headers became red hot....and I do mean literally RED. Normal?

when it gets red like that at high rpm's , that mean it might be running slightly lean...if the pipe isn't red at idle or up to about 6000 rpms, but is red above that then you need to raise the jet size.
The second is, should my engine and exhaust get a bit distorted when at high RPM's?I dont want to say backfiring but its like it wants a wider pipe...you know? It sound so low and rumbly and rock solid anywhere below say 8 grand but up about it gets raspy....I know that there is alot going on at that RPM but its nice to hear its normal......is it?

another lean condition symtom.

The third is what temperature should I start being concerned with on my digital temp guage? I know the fan kicks in at 215 but when does it become to hot......tonight I had it up to about 235...

235 is too hot...shouldn't get above maybe 225, another lean symtom.
Anyways just a few question, I dont think anything is wrong but they are noises and particular things about the bike Im not used too.

Any help would be cool,
THanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 6:51 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via Yahoo to sscottab
Re: Really lean..? Now what??

sounds like the bike is new to you. first thing you want to do is take that K&N air filter and throw it in the trash and put a factory one in the bike, 235 is to hot, my bike has never got above 218, normal running temp when riding is usualy 180 t0 190, the temp can get hotter when just sitting and reving the engine which sounds like what you did considering the amout of snow we just got up here. a friend of mine works on bikes for a living ill pm you my number since you live in maine.

when you are on a honda you are on the best
2002 CBR954RR
scott
www.itriderz.com
post #3 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 6:55 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

First, I've never held a bike on full noise in neutral while stationary so I'm just guessing here.
NGK iridiums aren't a mod (they're standard) unless you mean they're a different heat range?
Red hot - possibly normal since there's no air flow across them.
Again, with no airflow to assist in cooling the headers and evacuating the muffler this may also be normal.
With no airflow the fan is nowhere near enough to cool the radiator so it is definately going to overheat. This is why they have big fans in dyno rooms.
Do you encounter any of these symptoms while riding?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 7:35 AM Thread Starter

Well unfortunatly riding is not an option right now....with over a foot of snow.
The bike cools down when I let off the throttle and let it return to idle. Same with the red hot headers...as soon as I let off the throttle they cool down (at least to the point of not redhot.) Seems to maintain a normal idle temp...altough I will say when I was doing this it was about 10 degrees out..that prob helped with the cooling even though the bike wasnt moving.

I figure without any air flow.....warm or or cool that the bike would get hot at anything but idle but Ive never seen headers glow before. I know in the machine shop when metal gets glowing it becomes extremely brittle and that is my concern...at those temps a pebble could crack those headers.

My other thought was maybe with the HTEV wired in the midrange position the hot air from combustion cant get out quick enough at 8-12 grand causing some serious heat....

So basically stop playing with the bike without motion to help cool seems to be the consensus. But if it is running lean...moving or not..... what would the next step be?
post #5 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 7:40 AM
Global Moderator

Red hot headers under full throttle isn't totally uncommon even when moving. There should be lots of vids on Youtube of glowing headers.
And it doesn't make them brittle unless you then spray water over them :-)
Even then, I'm not familiar with titanium to know what happens to it.
If it's lean (and I doubt it is) then you'd have to richen it up.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Last edited by bladeracer; 02-25-2009 at 8:40 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 7:43 AM
Global Moderator

Regarding heat, I've actually seen a melted carbon muffler although I can't recall what caused it. I think it crashed and sat revving at full noise until the engine finally exploded.

post #7 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 7:43 AM Thread Starter

as far as the plugs I thought I paid $11 a piece for top knotch plugs...ugh
post #8 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 7:48 AM Thread Starter

Ya well a puddle would cause some rapid cooling haha. Lean running rare?
post #9 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 8:09 AM

Reputation Power: 16

rare? no.. invest in a pcIII or bazzaz unit if changing filters and plugs doesn't fix the prob..
post #10 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 8:29 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by temperedtim929 View Post
Ya well a puddle would cause some rapid cooling haha. Lean running rare?
It's unusual for an engine to suddenly become lean when it's been running okay.

Here's a poor little 250 glowing red hot
YouTube - cb250 exhausts glowing red hot

post #11 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 8:30 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Send a message via MSN to Jetpilot07

bingo!!!!!

DO YOUR DUTY IN ALL THINGS, YOU CANNOT DO MORE, YOU SHOULD NEVER WISH TO DO LESS!

GENERAL ROBERT E. LEE
post #12 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 8:49 AM Thread Starter

Well it suddenly became lean possibly because its getting a ton more air now...Flapper is gone...HTEV is wide open.....??????????
So, put OEM filter in and change plugs? Why would steel plugs or iridium make a diff? The plugs are brand new...I do have a set of steel NGK plugs too.......
Couldnt it just be like Blade suggested......no motion to help cool?

Last edited by temperedtim929; 02-25-2009 at 8:56 AM.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 9:01 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Send a message via MSN to Jetpilot07

possible on the motion, but also until you get the PCIII, put the stock filter back on to restrict the air flow a little, iridium plugs are fine, flapper removed and htev wired open is fine too

DO YOUR DUTY IN ALL THINGS, YOU CANNOT DO MORE, YOU SHOULD NEVER WISH TO DO LESS!

GENERAL ROBERT E. LEE
post #14 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 9:02 AM
Global Moderator

I don't believe it's become lean at all.
It's simply running hot and the hotter it gets the hotter it gets - if you see what I mean.
The flapper and HTEV won't alter the fueling, at least not enough to cause a lean condition.
Same with the plugs unless you've changed their heat range from standard.

post #15 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 9:21 AM Thread Starter

I like blades comment...only because it means not doing anyhting else right now Ive had this tank on and off at least a dozen times in the last few months.

But back to the filter issue. Now that I look at the filter I dont know if its a K&N or not. It doesnt say K&N anywhere but it is a dark red color with black housing.....I always assume that that is K&N. what color are the factory filters? If this one is OEM I dont want to replace it. Ive google oem filter but the only images that come up are stupid K&N ones.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page