Right price or a smidge to much??? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-25-2009, 2:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Right price or a smidge to much???

As the regulars on this site have seen I have been doing some overhauling of my new 929. I bought the bike in Sept knowing nothing about motorcycles or what to look for when buying one. I am a do-it-yourselfer having worked in an automotive garage for a few years. I feel for the most part that I paid way to much for what I got...but Id like to see what you guys think.

So...the lo down on the beast...cash paid....$3,800.
2000 929, 18300 miles, clean title and bodywork. Found out later that all the plastic is from a 2001 929(black with yellow accents)..hmmmm I wonder why? Why would someone change ALL the fairings??......Few scatches on the bar end etc but nothing on engine or frame.

After getting it apart I found that the MAP was disconnected, air box trashed, starter valves boogered and for the most part service neglected.

I have put about a grand into it...not entirely with the engine but alot cosmetically....new undertail and rear fairing (old one cracked a bit). New paint on front end...just my taste. New tank cap and key, front fender (tabs were busted), grips, bar ends, marker lights, plugs, oil and filter, coolant.... and a bunch of fairing nuts and bolts that were missing.

I know its going to need fork seals and steering bearing along with a new rear tire sometime this summer. Im sure it could use some valve adjustments and a CCT as well. My opinion the kid that had it before me liked to show off....wheelies etc and didnt care much for doing things the right way. I will say that the chain and sprockets look new.

So, what do you guys think? 3,800 plus 1,000 (not all completely nec) totalling 4,800 ish for a bike with 18300 miles and from what I can see a hard 18300 miles.

Its my bike now and I will turn it around to my best!!! What would you have paid????

Last edited by temperedtim929; 02-25-2009 at 2:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-25-2009, 2:23 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Send a message via AIM to __DoPe_ShOw__ Send a message via Yahoo to __DoPe_ShOw__
Re: Right price or a smidge to much???

The way I look at it, its worth whutever you think it is... I paid $4500 for my 99 900rr with 14k miles on it... To me that was a damn good price but thats cause I really wanted it.... I'm a BAD IMPULSE BUYER! But yea, I don't think that it was too much that you spent, just how much more do you have to do? Also, 18300 miles isn't that bad, my FZR had like... 51k on it? Just change the oil like you need to and take care of it from here on out... Remember, its a honda... It'll last a LONG LONG TIME... Good luck with it...

1999 Honda CBR900RR | Mods: Stage 3 Jet Kit, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber Slipon & Integrated Blinkers | Color: Repsol | Scheme. Pics: Here |=|
1992 Yamaha FZR600R | Mods: Vance & Hines SS2R Slipon, K&N Air Filter | Selling to a friend... |=|
post #3 of 7 Old 02-25-2009, 2:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, thats good to hear. Im so impulsive.....The kid told me it was a super clean bike but when I laid eyes on it I knew it wasnt. But I took it for a spin and was hooked.....it still needs some major stuff...steering bearings, front fork seals...talk 400-500 at a shop and we all know what rear tires cost.

The bike will look brand new this spring (ive replaced everything) and its running super right now....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-25-2009, 2:34 PM

Reputation Power: 11

Send a message via AIM to __DoPe_ShOw__ Send a message via Yahoo to __DoPe_ShOw__

Yea, well aslong as you are happy with it, you could spend more money... Just make sure you get the steering bearings done asap cause that can cause some serious problems...

1999 Honda CBR900RR | Mods: Stage 3 Jet Kit, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber Slipon & Integrated Blinkers | Color: Repsol | Scheme. Pics: Here |=|
1992 Yamaha FZR600R | Mods: Vance & Hines SS2R Slipon, K&N Air Filter | Selling to a friend... |=|
post #5 of 7 Old 02-27-2009, 11:25 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Forget about the money. Fix it up the way you want and ride the wheels off it. Have a lot of fun.

Rick
post #6 of 7 Old 02-28-2009, 9:50 AM

Reputation Power: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by temperedtim929 View Post
it still needs some major stuff...steering bearings, front fork seals...talk 400-500 at a shop and we all know what rear tires cost.

The bike will look brand new this spring (ive replaced everything) and its running super right now....
If you worked in an auto shop for a few years, you should have no problems sorting out the head bearings and fork seals on your own.

allballs.com
head bearings & seals.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Well I worked a a service writer at an auto-shop. So im familiar with automotive and repairs but not to much as far as complicated things are concerned.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page