Found a used commander $100 buck....worth it?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 1:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Found a used commander $100 buck....worth it??

So I found a used power commander locally for $100. Guy bought the bike a year ago and it was already on the bike.

Sounds good to me.....but...

What should I look for physically?
What should be included?
What type of software do I need?
How do I make sure I am getting a good deal?

And...if I do buy is it literally as easy as plugging it in and downloading the correct map? No dyno's or bringing it somewhere to have it programmed?? Just plug it in and pick a map??

Last edited by temperedtim929; 02-26-2009 at 1:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 2:02 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Found a used commander $100 buck....worth it??

Physically they can look really shitty but still work fine so visual inspection is meaningless.
I don't think there's anything included although a cable would be nice if you don't already have one. It's a standard USB or serial cable.
If it's a serial model I think you need the serial software but it's available for download.
Only way to know is to test it on a bike to see if it works.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 2:06 PM Thread Starter

hmmmm sounds like a gamble... The 3r is the serial version? That one is only 70 more new.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 2:13 PM
Global Moderator

Yes. They're all serials except the USB and I guess that new model they have now.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 3:19 PM

Reputation Power: 16

still worth it even if it is the serial model... it's not like it uses get used up.. it's as good any day as it is from day one..
post #6 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 3:45 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavis View Post
still worth it even if it is the serial model... it's not like it uses get used up.. it's as good any day as it is from day one..
Not quite.
Early PC's have a reputation for failing.
Not a problem if you buy new as they'll replace it but a secondhand one that fails you'd have to fix yourself.

post #7 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 3:46 PM
Global Moderator

All electonic parts have lives limited by factors like heat, vibration and moisture (or a Honda part number).

post #8 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 4:50 PM Thread Starter

hahaha I like that last one. I need a steering bearing, front fork seals and a rear tire. people have been screaming at me telling me I need a steering dampener too. So I think I am going to not be impulsive and get those things taken care of first. Ive only had this bike down the road a few times and have already experienced the tank slap so Im going to get one of those before I concern myself with how much power im putting to the road.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 7:15 PM

Reputation Power: 78

Im in the same boat, really want that PCIII usb, but also need a damper...life is hard sometimes...
post #10 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 7:46 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via MSN to shakey1378

one at a time if thats how you gotta do it. a new pc3 is only around 270 shipped in most cases. not a ton of money. i would go with the damper first expect to spend between 200-500 for a damper depending on new or used. just remember rome wasnt built in a day and before you know it...

basically dont waste too much time looking to get all this done for peanuts, it wont happen. and if a price on a used part seems to good to be true dont buy it. electronics are not something i like to buy used
post #11 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 8:48 PM

Reputation Power: 13

well i disagree and this is strictly my opinion.

i dont see anything wrong with buying used as long as it works fine and i say this simply because, how many of us bought our wonderful 929, 954 ect ect brand new off the show room floor?

i didnt, i got it used and cheap and it runs like a champ, i have about $4k invested in my 929 and i say invested because that is the total of parts and the motorcycle $4k so if i was to sell it i wont take a loss and might even make a profit and this is what i have for $4k

modifications: Custom ram-air intake BMC filter Factory Pro Velocity stacks Power Commander 3R Full Scorpion Exhaust PPM lowering link Scotts Steering Stabilizer Heli Bar Clip-Ons White Painted Wheels Custom BLK/WHT Seat Covers 15/45 520 Vortex Sprockets Lockhart & Phillips Frame Sliders Lockhart & Phillips Dark Smoke Windscreen VS3 Rear View Camera & Monitor Mirror Block-Offs Barend Mirrors Custom Billet Rear-Sets with CBR 1100XX Shifter(reverse shift Pattern) L.E.D. Intergrated Taillight 200 Rear Tire

most of which i i either got used or really cheap
like the pc3
the exhaust (which was new but never installed)
heli bars
velocity stacks
shift lever
stearing damper

i recommend that if its a saftey item like brakes ,tires and or contols, i recommend new
post #12 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 9:15 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via Yahoo to sscottab

Quote:
Originally Posted by temperedtim929 View Post
hahaha I like that last one. I need a steering bearing, front fork seals and a rear tire. people have been screaming at me telling me I need a steering dampener too. So I think I am going to not be impulsive and get those things taken care of first. Ive only had this bike down the road a few times and have already experienced the tank slap so Im going to get one of those before I concern myself with how much power im putting to the road.

If you are interested i have a bridgestone bt014 at a friends shop in bangor you can have if you want about 3/4 tread left, I didnt like how it handled. i put a set of metzler M3's on and stayed with the metzlers since, it is a 190 rear. you will have to pick it up.

when you are on a honda you are on the best
2002 CBR954RR
scott
www.itriderz.com
post #13 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignibb View Post
i dont see anything wrong with buying used as long as it works fine
I doubt anybody would disagree with this.
The problem with electronic parts is that they have a limited life and give up with little if any warning. If you're getting it cheap then sure, why not try it but you have to expect it's not likely to last long. It may "work fine" for a week, a month or maybe even a year.
I would not recommend spending much on secondhand stators, regulators, servo motors, PC's and such that are known to have very limited life anyway.

post #14 of 14 Old 02-27-2009, 8:54 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via MSN to shakey1378

bladeracer, point i was tryin to make above. i guess im just not as cheap as some people. me personally id rather spend the money and know its good...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page