954 cutting out - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-26-2009, 3:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

954 cutting out

Hey everyone,
This is my first post. I've got to a point where i can't think what else to check!
I've just serviced my bike at 20k miles (checked htev, valve clearances, oil and filter etc.)
The bike runs fine, except when under hard acceleration, the engine cuts out and re starts itself on the move.
It's not showing up any faults with the mil light, the sidestand/clutch switches are working, the bank sensor too. The battery is showing 12.5v and 14v when running. I do have a pcIII and haven't tried disconnecting this yet, but doubt it's the problem. One of the coil/plug caps (No.3) did not locate so well on the plug, but it runs on all 4 and i have one on order from honda, but I would be surprised if this is the cause
I think it's ignition related because it's happening under load and not at a specific revs.
Any suggestions would be welcomed, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-26-2009, 3:48 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 954 cutting out

Was anything done to the bike before it started playing up?
New plugs?
When the engine dies do you lose the instruments as well?
Definately disconnect the PC and try it.
They are a known failure.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 10 Old 02-26-2009, 5:21 PM Thread Starter

I checked the plugs when i serviced it, but they looked fine, no erosion to the electrodes and they cost £20 each(ouch!) and they supposed to be good for another 10k.
I did charge the battery, on bike, without disconnecting it, that might have done something.
I can't remember if the rev counter dropped, i think the digi display stayed on. It would recover quite quick after cutting out, like less than a second. I'll disconnect the the pcIII and give it a go and look for the instruments.
Thanks Larry, I'll let you know how i get on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-02-2009, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

To anyone watching,
I've diconnected the PCIII, no difference. I've taken the speed converter out (KPH to MPH), no difference.
I've checked the connectors for the rectifier, the ecm, the fuses and cleaned the main earth at the rear of the frame in the centre(didn't look corroded), again, no difference.
It will rev out in the higher gears, seems to be third and second it happens most. The rev counter DOES drop when the engine cuts, but comes back again with the mil light and hiss led before the engine re starts on the roll.
I've run out of ideas now, i'll check the remaining earths on the bike then get the airbox off to check all the conectors under there. I have got a new plug coil/cap on order, as No.3 cylinder cap didn't locate as well as the others.
Any ideas anyone?
post #5 of 10 Old 03-09-2009, 7:52 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone,
I've now replaced the coil/cap of No.3 cylinder (which didn't locate on the plug so well) with a new one.
I've checked all the connectors under the airbox, behind the headstock. nothing obvious there.
The only difference is that the more I ride it the harder it gets to provoke the problem. That is to say that it's happening further up the rev range, under harder acceleration. Could that be a bad earth somewhere that is slowly improving contact as it's riden?
Disconnecting the PCIII did make it recover faster after it cut out, but i think thats just the time it takes the ECM and PCIII to reboot. I won't be to happy if the problem just fades away without finding the cause, but I get the feeling thats whats going to happen...
Any ideas?
Adam
post #6 of 10 Old 03-10-2009, 6:54 AM

Reputation Power: 13

check the kickstand switch wires and inspect the kick stand itself tie it up if u need to test tho ! just my 1 cent
post #7 of 10 Old 03-10-2009, 2:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Kiai,

I did check all the 'cut off' circuits like the side stand, clutch, bank sensor etc, but i think i will have to revisit them and check for broken wires etc. I cleaned up the kill switch contacts last night, although they didn't look bad.
I'm not giving up yet!

Adam
post #8 of 10 Old 03-11-2009, 3:59 PM Thread Starter

It's not the kill switch, fuel pump check next... ARSE !!!!!
post #9 of 10 Old 05-02-2014, 12:28 AM

Reputation Power: 8

i realize this is an old thread but im having the same issue. its just random though. like it doesnt do it all the time but just randomly. ill take off and itll do it and one time i did it, the MIL light came on and stayed on and the bike was just studdering and jumping and then it came back on fully and took off. idk what the deal is. anyone find a solution to this?
post #10 of 10 Old 05-07-2014, 7:28 PM

Reputation Power: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbo View Post
i realize this is an old thread but im having the same issue. its just random though. like it doesnt do it all the time but just randomly. ill take off and itll do it and one time i did it, the MIL light came on and stayed on and the bike was just studdering and jumping and then it came back on fully and took off. idk what the deal is. anyone find a solution to this?
I also had the same problem last year but may have worse news for you. I'm not sure if it's related, but my bike now will not start at all. Turn the key on and no headlight, no fuel prime, no spark. Cranks over great, but no spark. Replaced the diode in the ignition switch and checked voltage, checked brown/green wire going to the fuel pump for voltage, jumped the fuel pump with 12v and she purrs like a kitten but still no start so I'm now at the end of my diagnosing with the feeling the ECM took a crap. When mine would studder last year it would at times throw a FI error. I'd just pull in the clutch, turn the bike ignition off then back on while still coasting, let the clutch back out and fire on the move. It would go away as the bike was ridden longer (duration of the ride), and was really bad during the first 15-20 minutes while it was coming up to temp. If I eased into the throttle I never had an issue, but anything 60% or higher and I would usually get the bucking/studdering others are describing. Just seems like mine went downhill from there so an ECM going bad does seem logic - at least in my case considering the issue I'm having. And yes, I've checked every dang tip/kick sensor on the bike, swapped relays, checked fuses, all that jazz. About to just sell it and let someone else who wants to tinker have it at a good price. I don't mind tinkering, but I like to ride after I tinker....lately it's just tinker tinker tinker, still no rider, tinker some more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page