Head bearings and fork seals a DIY?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-01-2009, 9:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Head bearings and fork seals a DIY??

I have always been a do it yourself type of person. Ive always changes my own automotive oil, filters, alternators, radiators.....etc.
So the same has been true with my new 929 so far....plugs, oil, filter...all the easy stuff. Now I know my bike needs fork seals and a head bearing.....this is taking it up a notch on the difficulty level. Do I do it myself or leave it to a pro. By the way a pro charges about 400 for the two done together...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-01-2009, 9:37 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Re: Head bearings and fork seals a DIY??

Are you happy with the forks? You could send them out and have them tailored to you.

You shouldn't have an issue with the head bearing.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-01-2009, 9:40 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 13

Happy? I havnt even put 10 miles on this bike yet so im going to have to say yes for now. But...one of the sealsare leaking and wont pass maine state inspection....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-01-2009, 9:45 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

They are replaceable, you might want to get a service manual before you try it though. They are not hard, just take your time.

www.helminc.com
post #5 of 6 Old 03-02-2009, 2:31 AM

Reputation Power: 12

I also try to do all my own DIY tasks. I bought the offical Honda Service manual that the Honda Techs are supposed to be using but the manuals have to many gaps in the documentation. You might want to try a different service manual for instructions on how to change the fork seals / oil on a 929.

Also I have used this site for reference as its an excellent walk through on how to change the fork oil on a bike with normal forks.(not inverted)
Fork Oil change on a 2002 GL1800 Photo Gallery by fred harmon at pbase.com

Maybe someone who has done it to their 929 would be kind enough to post a walkthrough It's on my list of things to do before spring!
post #6 of 6 Old 03-02-2009, 4:36 AM

Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRuckus07 View Post
I also try to do all my own DIY tasks. I bought the offical Honda Service manual that the Honda Techs are supposed to be using but the manuals have to many gaps in the documentation. You might want to try a different service manual for instructions on how to change the fork seals / oil on a 929.
Hmm.. Don't know about your manual - I've owned two Honda bikes and two Honda cages; all had/have excellent (official) service manuals (way better than Toyota and GM) that are offered via Helm. Use the link that lanbrown supplied above. Like he wrote, just take it steady and you should do fine.

Only tricky part on forks is breaking the damper assembly free.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page