steering damper - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-01-2009, 9:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

steering damper

i was just wondering if anyone had heard or had any experience with these universal steering dampers. I know you get what you pay for but i was thinking about it for a temporary damper until i can save up enough for a scotts, gpr or ohlins. the friction one at the bottom seems the cheapest but in theory a little friction would be better than nothing

Universal Steering Stabilizers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-01-2009, 10:27 PM

Reputation Power: 78

Re: steering damper

great post, im looking for something like this too.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-01-2009, 11:59 PM

Reputation Power: 17

i'm sure someone with more tech knowledge will chime in, but what is your use for these.. it states that it's really for a drag race or touring application.. and if you're going to end up getting a different one in the future just get it now.. or wait and get it.. no sense in dropping money in something that is not specific and found to be reputable..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

I'd rather have nothinng over that cheap model.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-02-2009, 1:09 AM

Reputation Power: 78

How so? I mean, it cant induce tank slappers more than not having one. There will be some dampening, not comparable to a Scott's but still, better than nothing, right? Does anyone have one??
post #6 of 14 Old 03-02-2009, 1:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

In my opinion, as long as you order one with sufficient stroke, you understand that it is for high speed damping only, and the damping adjustment has sufficient range, then there is no reason not to select this product. I think the only issue would be the availability of suitable mounting brackets.

My opinion is based on theory only, because I don't have this or any other steering damper.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-02-2009, 2:34 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Spend that money on getting your suspension sorted. My '00 929 was a bit frisky coming out of corners on much throttle. Revalved shock, changed fork oil, springs, set up for my weight, etc. Hugely better now, planted and doesn't start to headshake unless you're being plain silly. My bike came with a damper, ripped it off and sold it after a month or two.. Not necessary unless you're a total spanner/track day junkie. I'm a bit of both but not enough to warrant a damper

Spend the money on suspension, far better value for money IMO - that way you're fighting the source of the problem rather than putting a bandaid on it.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-02-2009, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizog View Post
My bike came with a damper, ripped it off and sold it after a month or two.. Not necessary unless you're a total spanner/track day junkie. I'm a bit of both but not enough to warrant a damper
Are you out of your mind? No offense, but you're kinda dumb if you remove part of your suspension. And yes a damper is part of your suspension when you are leaned over. Don't hand out bum information that could get somebody hurt such as removing pieces of your suspension. There's a reason dampers come stock with most bikes now. Suspension geometry is aggressive enough that it makes the chassis' unstable while leaned over, hence the factory installed dampers.

A Scotts damper was the single most valuable piece of safety equipment that I didn't wear on my body. It saved my arse a few times... even on my rock-solid RC51. And you don't have to be dragging your knees to benefit from it. You can be just going around a normal street corner and hit a patch of sand/dirt while on the throttle and go into a headshake.

lanbrown and Idavis are right. Don't get a cheap model. Just save your money and get a quality dual-valve model. $400 for the Scotts and worth every penny. It doesn't have to be Scotts, but make sure it is a dual-valve. It has separate high and low speed circuits. On a street bike you only really need the high speed(for headshake), and can turn down the low speed for easier street riding(U-turns, driveways, parking lots, heavy traffic). Once you set it up after a few hours of testing, you never touch it again.

With the single valve setups(90% of all dampers), you have only stiff to weak damping. So the optimal setting to minimize headshake makes the steering too stiff to do normal riding on the street. And the best setting to make street riding enjoyable defeats the purpose of having the damper. Although this type of damper is perfect for track/race use, they are the same price as a dual valve damper, so why bother with this one?
post #9 of 14 Old 03-02-2009, 4:05 AM

2nds on the suspension upgrade.. you'll be a better rider on a bike that is meant to squat and "stand up" according to YOUR weight..
post #10 of 14 Old 03-02-2009, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastosirus View Post
Are you out of your mind? No offense, but you're kinda dumb if you remove part of your suspension. And yes a damper is part of your suspension when you are leaned over. Don't hand out bum information that could get somebody hurt such as removing pieces of your suspension. There's a reason dampers come stock with most bikes now. Suspension geometry is aggressive enough that it makes the chassis' unstable while leaned over, hence the factory installed dampers.

A Scotts damper was the single most valuable piece of safety equipment that I didn't wear on my body. It saved my arse a few times... even on my rock-solid RC51. And you don't have to be dragging your knees to benefit from it. You can be just going around a normal street corner and hit a patch of sand/dirt while on the throttle and go into a headshake.

lanbrown and Idavis are right. Don't get a cheap model. Just save your money and get a quality dual-valve model. $400 for the Scotts and worth every penny. It doesn't have to be Scotts, but make sure it is a dual-valve. It has separate high and low speed circuits. On a street bike you only really need the high speed(for headshake), and can turn down the low speed for easier street riding(U-turns, driveways, parking lots, heavy traffic). Once you set it up after a few hours of testing, you never touch it again.

With the single valve setups(90% of all dampers), you have only stiff to weak damping. So the optimal setting to minimize headshake makes the steering too stiff to do normal riding on the street. And the best setting to make street riding enjoyable defeats the purpose of having the damper. Although this type of damper is perfect for track/race use, they are the same price as a dual valve damper, so why bother with this one?

great post..
post #11 of 14 Old 03-02-2009, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavis View Post
2nds on the suspension upgrade.. you'll be a better rider on a bike that is meant to squat and "stand up" according to YOUR weight..
I'm not saying a suspension upgrade doesn't help, because it does. But most people don't even properly adjust it to start with. So they should start with adjusting it first before upgrading. A properly adjusted suspension AND a damper is a really good combo though.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-02-2009, 5:13 AM

i agree..
post #13 of 14 Old 03-02-2009, 6:44 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastosirus View Post
I'm not saying a suspension upgrade doesn't help, because it does. But most people don't even properly adjust it to start with. So they should start with adjusting it first before upgrading. A properly adjusted suspension AND a damper is a really good combo though.
Agreed. My 929 has the suspension reworked (Ohlins rear, Dan Kyle forks) and is properly set up for me. I also have a steering damper and won't ride that bike without one. I used to use it on the track. I'd turned it to soft once because it was cold in the morning and forgot to turn it back towards a harder setting when it warmed up. The bike definitely didn't feel as stable. I use that bike only on the street now, but I still keep the damper on it.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-02-2009, 9:59 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the input. i have some time before it warms up enough to be riding a lot so i'll just save up and get a scotts

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page