Race bike wheel change - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-06-2003, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Race bike wheel change

I was watching the Daytona 200 the other day and watched the wheel changes in the pits with pure amazement. Until I got my bike I never really paid any attention to that aspect. Does anyone have a good site that shows the hardware configs that allow for such quick changes? The front rotors just sat right in and they throw the wrenches to it a drive away. No rear chain tensioning adjustments etc.... spring loaded tension maybe... Anyway, just curious.

Can you say 6 in a ROW!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-06-2003, 5:45 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: Race bike wheel change

A pro quick change front-end is about $15k. In addition, it adds a ton of unsprung weight. Still interested?

WSMC, WERA #504
post #3 of 14 Old 12-06-2003, 6:54 PM Thread Starter

No purchase interest....

just interest to see what differences there is between stock and race hardware. Got any pics of what one looks like?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-12-2003, 4:38 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Harris Performance in the UK supply endurance race rear axle kits made by PVM. www.harris-performance.co.uk if you are interested.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-12-2003, 1:26 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavic
I was watching the Daytona 200 the other day and watched the wheel changes in the pits with pure amazement. Until I got my bike I never really paid any attention to that aspect. Does anyone have a good site that shows the hardware configs that allow for such quick changes? The front rotors just sat right in and they throw the wrenches to it a drive away. No rear chain tensioning adjustments etc.... spring loaded tension maybe... Anyway, just curious.
I've never seen a system that keeps the front rotors in.
I raced a '98 GSXR7 and next season I'm racing a 929. I can't believe how difficult it is to change the wheels on the Blade compared to my old GSXR.
The front of the GSXR requires removing four 12mm caliper bolts, loosening two 12mm cinch bolts and removing the axle. The CBR is the same for the calipers but then there are four cinch bolts, a seprate axle nut and then two spacers that fall out.
The rear of the GSXR only requires removing the axle and the spacers are captive. On the CBR I like the lightweight adjuster blocks but having the caliper and spacers fall out is rediculous. Like the GSXR though at least the chain adjusters don't get touched.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 14 Old 12-12-2003, 1:37 PM

If you goto the pics from the CBR1000 test thread you can see what they do in the rear. They bolt an aluminum carrier to the wheel, which is then driven by the piece you see. You can do very fast changes, but they don't use this stuff at other tracks. More weight, and the aluminum drive gets worn down pretty good.

http://www.amasuperbike.com/image/tiretest03/honda/1/

On a typical racebike they have captured spacers, which makes it very easy. With my radials, the calipers stay on during a tire change.

post #7 of 14 Old 12-12-2003, 1:45 PM

Reputation Power: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
With my radials, the calipers stay on during a tire change.
Wild....are the rotors spaced way outboard to allow the tire to pass between them, or what?

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #8 of 14 Old 12-12-2003, 1:46 PM

Nope. Standard (R1 in my case) spacing. Standard spacing on a Gix1k you can do it too.

post #9 of 14 Old 12-12-2003, 1:50 PM

Reputation Power: 42

Dig it...I didn't realize that there were any stock bikes with wide enough caliper spacing to allow that....very cool.

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #10 of 14 Old 12-12-2003, 3:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Thanks Luvtolean, that is exactly what I was looking to see. Now if we can find the front. That is some wild stuff. Definitely explains why there isn't chain tensioning required after the wheel is removed. I would really like to see one in person some time to study the system.

Thanks Again,
Mavic

post #11 of 14 Old 12-12-2003, 10:12 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Definitely explains why there isn't chain tensioning required after the wheel is removed.
According to your profile you ride a 929 which means you don't need to adjust your chain during wheel changes already.
As for leaving the calipers on the front he probably means he removes the guard instead of the calipers? That way you lower the wheel, then rotate the lower fork legs to move the calipers away from the wheel. I've watched a guy do it this way but it's no quicker than removing the calipers on my GSXR. I haven't had to do a quick front change yet on the 929 but I'm definitely going to "capture" the spacers which will make life easier.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #12 of 14 Old 12-12-2003, 10:27 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Definitely explains why there isn't chain tensioning required after the wheel is removed.
According to your profile you ride a 929 which means you don't need to adjust your chain during wheel changes already.
As for leaving the calipers on the front he probably means he removes the guard instead of the calipers? That way you lower the wheel, then rotate the lower fork legs to move the calipers away from the wheel. I've watched a guy do it this way but it's no quicker than removing the calipers on my GSXR. I haven't had to do a quick front change yet on the 929 but I'm definitely going to "capture" the spacers which will make life easier.

post #13 of 14 Old 12-13-2003, 11:21 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:

post #14 of 14 Old 12-14-2003, 7:36 PM

Here's a small pic of a PVM setup, no info though.

http://www.pvm.de/data/home_e.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page