954 Ride Height Adjustment? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-13-2009, 4:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954 Ride Height Adjustment?

Hi all,

Help for a novice......I have a 954 only used for ride days, and am ready to do a little experimenting with suspension settings. The bike has had some suspension tuning undertaken before I bought it; new springs front and rear for example, and generally it feels pretty good, sag is okay etc.

I'm thinking of adding a little ride height - what is the standard set up for the upper mounting bracket for the rear shock? The Haynes manual doesn't show clearly whether there is a washer between the mounting bracket and the frame; mine has a spacer in there around 3mm thick.

I'd just like to find out how far I'd be from std if I add another 3mm spacer....

Also, just changed front and rear sprockets, resulting in an approx 20mm increase to wheel base. Is that enough to change trail/steering noticeably?

Thanks

Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-13-2009, 5:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Re: 954 Ride Height Adjustment?

I don't know about this spacer you are talking about, but I do know that changing sprockets has absolutely no effect on the wheel base and therefore no impact on the steering.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-13-2009, 5:26 AM Thread Starter

New sprockets and chain; rear sprocket is larger, so chain is a different length, with additional links. To get the chain tension right, the axle now sits about 20mm further back in the swingarm. I'd imagined that this effectively lengthens the swing arm, resulting in slightly changed geometry. Was curious as to how much difference it might make.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbzorro View Post
but I do know that changing sprockets has absolutely no effect on the wheel base and therefore no impact on the steering.
Yes it does :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 15 Old 04-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
I'm thinking of adding a little ride height - what is the standard set up for the upper mounting bracket for the rear shock? The Haynes manual doesn't show clearly whether there is a washer between the mounting bracket and the frame; mine has a spacer in there around 3mm thick.

I'd just like to find out how far I'd be from std if I add another 3mm spacer.

Also, just changed front and rear sprockets, resulting in an approx 20mm increase to wheel base. Is that enough to change trail/steering noticeably?
The ride height adjuster is hard against the frame mount.
2003 Honda Motorcycle Parts for CBR954RR, OEM and Aftermarket at BikeBandit.com

Whether the steering will be different but "noticeably" different will be entirely due to your own experience. Likewise, whether you prefer it is also an individual preference.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 15 Old 04-14-2009, 8:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link - looks like mine has already been packed up a little.

I was interested in hearing from guys like you who regularly track (or race)their 929/954s as to whether or not adding say 10mm of overall ride height was considered a 'std' mod and then tweaked for a particular track from there. I don't imagine the change in ride height due to the relative axle position in the swingarm is more than a couple of mm at most (out of curiosity I might measure the difference next time I have the bike on a stand) - and I'm pretty certain that a couple of mm is less than I'm going notice.

Cheers
post #7 of 15 Old 04-14-2009, 8:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Quote:
New sprockets and chain; rear sprocket is larger, so chain is a different length, with additional links. To get the chain tension right, the axle now sits about 20mm further back in the swingarm. I'd imagined that this effectively lengthens the swing arm, resulting in slightly changed geometry. Was curious as to how much difference it might make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Yes it does :-)
Oops

Right you are!
post #8 of 15 Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't imagine the change in ride height due to the relative axle position in the swingarm is more than a couple of mm at most (out of curiosity I might measure the difference next time I have the bike on a stand) - and I'm pretty certain that a couple of mm is less than I'm going notice.
The change in ride height is negligable.
The change in wheelbase slows down the steering a little though.
I sometimes cut out the axle adjuster slots to allow me to pull the axle as far forward as possible in the swingarm. I took 20mm out of my ZX6R this way.

post #9 of 15 Old 04-15-2009, 6:45 AM Thread Starter

Cutting out the axle adjuster slots is a good idea; although I was suprised to notice that with the 190/55 rear my 954 would almost run out of room in the swingarm before I ran out of std adjustment....definitely no room for the hugger!
post #10 of 15 Old 04-15-2009, 7:44 AM

Some bikes can take an after market top mount adjuster but not the 954 (or 929) which is a pitty because that sounds like the kind of thing you're after.
I went the whole hog and fired on an extreme jack up kit (altered offset triangle bottom mount plates). Lifted the back end by about 4 or 5 inches (minimum) and radically altered the handling. Now feels a bit like a buell firebolt with attitude. I'm sure it won't be to everyone's taste - but that's why most of us actually modify our bikes :-) Steers like a 250 and is great at stoppies :-) Not for the vertically challenged though and definiately need to be careful with the family jewels when braking over potholes :-( think a foam tankpad might be in order LOL.
Try something out (extra spacers or whatever), only takes a few minutes to put it back if you don't like it.
If you've got a brain for numbers and geometry - and someone who can cut and drill steel plate - try getting some triangular plates made to your own spec (these would lift anything from 1mm to 100mm?) but you'd have to figure out which spacings to increase or decrease.

Cheers Raymond.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-15-2009, 8:38 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Sam View Post
Some bikes can take an after market top mount adjuster but not the 954 (or 929) which is a pitty because that sounds like the kind of thing you're after.
The 954 already has a ride height adjuster.

post #12 of 15 Old 04-15-2009, 8:40 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Cutting out the axle adjuster slots is a good idea; although I was suprised to notice that with the 190/55 rear my 954 would almost run out of room in the swingarm before I ran out of std adjustment....definitely no room for the hugger!
Yep, not worth messing with on the 929/954 unless you also cut out the front of the swingarm and weld it back in.

post #13 of 15 Old 04-15-2009, 8:43 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Sam View Post
to put it back if you don't like it.
If you've got a brain for numbers and geometry - and someone who can cut and drill steel plate
This is very easy to do but I wouldn't use steel.
The plates are unsprung weight so aluminium is better.

post #14 of 15 Old 04-15-2009, 9:25 AM Thread Starter

I'm thinking that new plates wouldn't be a simple as calculating where to put the hole for additional ride height - you'd need to take into account linkage ratio's, too? Sounds a bit complex for a bloke like me - I think I'll stick to spacers. Apparently HRC do a slotted spacer so that you don't have to completely undo the nut securing the bracket to the frame (although for the cost of a single HRC spacer I can buy more than a few dozen washers!).
Attached Thumbnails
hrc02cbr9f7_543.jpg‎  
post #15 of 15 Old 04-15-2009, 9:37 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Apparently HRC do a slotted spacer so that you don't have to completely undo the nut securing the bracket to the frame (although for the cost of a single HRC spacer I can buy more than a few dozen washers!).
I assumed you were talking about slotted spacers as that's the norm but unless you're racing a great variety of circuits you really only need to mess with it until you have it where you want it and then you can forget it, so circular spacers are fine. My 929 is still stock and suits me fine as is but I cut some washers out of aluminium sheet for my '98 GSXR.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page