Suspension settings for 1994 CBR 900 RR-R? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-13-2009, 7:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Suspension settings for 1994 CBR 900 RR-R?

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend the best settings for standard suspension given that I'm weighing in at 255lbs (115Kg) not including my riding gear?

I imagine that the pre-load would need to be increased, but as for the other settings... well... does anyone have any advice or ideally the best settings based on their own experience?

Obviously I'm considering a suspension upgrade but for now I could do with some advice given that Summer is nearly upon us and I want to get out and ride!

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Suspension settings for 1994 CBR 900 RR-R?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthole View Post
Can anyone recommend the best settings for standard suspension given that I'm weighing in at 255lbs (115Kg) not including my riding gear? I imagine that the pre-load would need to be increased, but as for the other settings... well... does anyone have any advice or ideally the best settings based on their own experience?
There are no "best" settings.
Set the suspension up so it works how you want it to with the way you ride.
This may help though - https://www.fireblades.org/forums/gen...tml#post773665

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 5 Old 04-13-2009, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Fair point mate and thanks for the link to the thread, although I'll have to take a bit of time to digest it all!

I'm using the stock damping settings at the moment with the front and rear pre-loads increased by 2 stops. I tend to do ordinary/fast road riding. To be honest I don't get enough time in the saddle to develop the feel for this properly, being away for three months at a time with work - am I way off by thinking that I need a bit of extra pre-load, given my large size?

Cheers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthole View Post
To be honest I don't get enough time in the saddle to develop the feel for this properly, being away for three months at a time with work - am I way off by thinking that I need a bit of extra pre-load, given my large size?
I'm around 110kg myself :-)
It depends on how much the suspension is sagging when you climb aboard and how much travel you're using while riding.
You would more likely need heavier springs although my suspension is all original other than the front air gap.
Preload only alters the amount of travel you have.
If the forks are bottoming when you are at about 25% rider sag then you need springs. You can wind in more preload to get more travel, thus requiring more load before the forks bottom but you're likely to then suffer from too little fork extension.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 5 Old 04-13-2009, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Larry, that's great. I'll go through the measurements when I get back.

It's not bad just now, but you know how it is... someone on a newer, faster machine shows you a clean pair of heels and suddenly you can't stop trying to 'upgrade'!!!

Cheers,

Paul.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page