Scrubbing Tires? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-14-2009, 9:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Scrubbing Tires?

I gonna get Power Pilots installed soon on 08 Blade and was wondering how do you go about scrubbing the tires? I think you just find a empty parking lot and go in circles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-14-2009, 9:43 PM

Re: Scrubbing Tires?

You need to get the tires hot to remove the thin coating that is a result of the manufacturing process. Once you have heated them up then start some medium speed turns. Once you have completed a heat cycle or two with some turns you should be OK. You are going to love these tires.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-14-2009, 10:11 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerz5 View Post
I gonna get Power Pilots installed soon on 08 Blade and was wondering how do you go about scrubbing the tires? I think you just find a empty parking lot and go in circles.
Just ride like you normally ride. As long as ur not acting like an idiot ull be OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-14-2009, 11:04 PM

Reputation Power: 14

This is what happens on new tires. Take your time. You have thousands of miles of riding to go fast, it won't kill you to take it easy for the first 100 miles or so. Gradually increase the corner speed.

YouTube - new bike crash
post #5 of 19 Old 04-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerz5 View Post
I think you just find a empty parking lot and go in circles.
I'm not sure this idea would generate the heat required but it probably wouldn't do any harm. How did you scrub in the tyres you have on it now?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 19 Old 04-15-2009, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

I just rode the bike, no extra effort to scrub the tires. The reason I am asking for the proper way is because I have read a few times people have scrubbed there tires after they put a new set on.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-15-2009, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

SKATER! I love the bike crash video I would just be so pissed and it's on video, I'm glad he had his leathers on!
post #8 of 19 Old 04-15-2009, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater! View Post
This is what happens on new tires. Take your time. You have thousands of miles of riding to go fast, it won't kill you to take it easy for the first 100 miles or so. Gradually increase the corner speed.

YouTube - new bike crash
It looks like there's armor-all on the tires on something. They're pretty shiny.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-15-2009, 4:45 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Go on a 50 mile run. All the tyre needs is heat. You dont have to 'scrub' the edges to get the wax off. I also just put on pp 2ct's. Great choice
post #10 of 19 Old 04-15-2009, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefish View Post
...All the tyre needs is heat. You dont have to 'scrub' the edges...
That is correct. While popular wisdom says "scrubbing" or "scuffing" the tire surface is necessary before full grip is available, that is wrong.

Also the common recommendation that residual mold release agent makes tires slippery is wrong. Tire manufacturers no longer use mold release agents on the tire tread portion.

And the common practice of weaving the bike the warm up tires is wrong. That does little to warm them up.

The truth is a new tire delivers essentially full grip as soon as it's within the operating temperature range. No break in procedure is needed.

All this is discussed by Pirelli's racing manager in this Sport Rider article: How To Properly Warm Up Your Tires - Sport Rider Magazine

So why did the guy in the previous video crash? Several possible reasons:

(1) The tires look shiny; it's possible someone mistakenly used Armor All or similar treatment on them.

(2) If the tires were recently changed (possible even on a new bike), the mounting lubricant can get on the tire surface.

(3) The parking lot surface could have had oil or anti-freeze on it.

My friend crashed in a gentle curve at about 5 mph because a wreck the previous day spilled ethylene glycol coolant on the road. He had fairly new Dunlop Qualifiers, but said it was like hitting ice. Ethylene glycol coolant can't easily be cleaned up, which is why it's not allowed on the race track.

Still it makes sense to take it easy when new tires are mounted. But not because the tires need "scrubbing in".

Rather, they probably feel different, so best to get accustomed to them gradually. Also the technician might have left residual mounting lubricant on them. Parking lots and areas adjacent to car washes often have slippery regions from engine coolant, oil, and flung-off tire dressing.

The best way to get tires prepped for a curve is a few hard acceleration and braking runs. That causes sidewall flex which heats up the tire. Frictional forces (weaving the bike) don't heat up the tire much.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-16-2009, 11:07 AM

Just had a set of Michelin Power One streets fitted to my '08 bike, finally getting shot of the frankly terrible OE Dunlops......I've ridden for best part of 18 years, and these things are unbelievable!! I know they were a touch more 's, but WELL worth it in my opinion. Should've done it sooner!

My point - dont bother with the Pilot Powers, go for these babies!
post #12 of 19 Old 04-16-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky1000 View Post
Just had a set of Michelin Power One streets fitted to my '08 bike, finally getting shot of the frankly terrible OE Dunlops......I've ridden for best part of 18 years, and these things are unbelievable!! I know they were a touch more 's, but WELL worth it in my opinion. Should've done it sooner!

My point - dont bother with the Pilot Powers, go for these babies!

As soon as mine wear out in another 1500km's I'm getting a set. They aren't even legal yet for the Fireblade in Germany. But I don't care.
post #13 of 19 Old 04-16-2009, 12:17 PM

Like someone stated earlier, just go on a nice ride and not do anything stupid. The only time I ever hear the term "scrubbing tires" is at the race track.
post #14 of 19 Old 04-16-2009, 10:09 PM

every new set i get i wipe down w/ brake cleaner to get the slick off. haven't had any problems yet. then "scrub" them in on the track. after 4 laps to get them warm they're good to go.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-31-2013, 10:52 AM

6 weeks ago I had new pirelli corsas on my blade went out first time under very little throttle n rolled off, nearly ready to try again bike is fine and I am getting there, any tips anyone

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page