First Mod's to make to your Fireblade? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 04-16-2009, 9:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

First Mod's to make to your Fireblade?

I just bought a 2002 Honda 954. It's basicallly all stock aside from the slip on. Just wondering, what should be my first mod's? Power Commander? Steering Damper? Headers? I want to get it as fast as possible, and would like to know, what is the best course of action to take? I'll be buying pieces one by one, my pockets don't got that deep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 04-16-2009, 9:58 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Re: First Mod's to make to your Fireblade?

Why is it that you want to get the bike "as fast as possible"? You racing it?
post #3 of 44 Old 04-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchino View Post
I just bought a 2002 Honda 954. It's basicallly all stock aside from the slip on. Just wondering, what should be my first mod's? Power Commander? Steering Damper? Headers? I want to get it as fast as possible, and would like to know, what is the best course of action to take? I'll be buying pieces one by one, my pockets don't got that deep.
Fast has several definitions, fast top speed, fast acceleration or fast around a circuit?
Fast as possible top speed or accleration would be a turbo.
Fast as possible around a circuit would be suspension.

First mod I always recommend is dropping at least one front sprocket tooth but it costs you some top speed.
It's also worth setting up the suspension to suit yourself.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

I guess I mean fast as far as street riding. Something that wil respond well in a highly erratic environment (commute in NYC) but will also be able to open up well when going upstate.
post #5 of 44 Old 04-16-2009, 11:41 AM

Lets put this into perspective... You have a 954. Compared to a, lets say, Ninja 250, your 954 is plenty fast even if it was bone stock. So your bike is plenty fast as is. How much faster do you really need it to be for "street riding"? Im quite sure, that in its current state, it responds well in the highly erratic environment in which you live, NYC. Lets be honest, how much faster can you really go in the city? Being that its a 954, Im sure it will also open up well when going upstate...

You already have a bike that is capable of doing the things that you wish for it to do. I would not recommend any mods until you can safely handle what you already have. Thats not a knock against your riding skills, but like you stated, you are street riding. If you were racing it, and on a track, then I would offer suggestions, but you only street ride.

How long have you been riding motorcycles? What bikes have you owned before the 954?
post #6 of 44 Old 04-16-2009, 1:04 PM Thread Starter

I've been riding for about 7 years, I actually learned to ride in Puerto Rico (excellent for developing defensive riding skills!) I started on a Yamaha Seca 600, then bought an 2003 Harley Sportster 883, Then I got a Honda 929 a couple years ago that was set up street fighter style. Now I moved to the 954. I'll be moving to New Orleans this summer, so by ability to "open up" on the road will be alot greater. Just want to know, where should I start with upgrades?
post #7 of 44 Old 04-16-2009, 1:07 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchino View Post
Just want to know, where should I start with upgrades?
Nobody else can tell you how you want your bike to perform for the way you use it.
Get used to it first and if you find something you aren't happy with then you can look at ways to address it.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 44 Old 04-16-2009, 1:34 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to WyoJames Send a message via MSN to WyoJames

Fender Eliminator
post #9 of 44 Old 04-16-2009, 1:47 PM

Reputation Power: 16

ptlcb1 rep for you.. excellent post..

upgrade your brakes.. it doesn't matter how fast your bike is if you can't stop it. go stainless lines at least, maybe pads, upgrade master cylinder and res if you can afford to right now, then start looking into rotors, blah blah blah.. next up i would suggest suspension, throw an ohlins on the back and get your front forks sent off some where to have new internals put in set up for your weight, set the rider sag and static sag, then start looking into the cosmetics.. cuz that's all an exhaust really is on the street.
post #10 of 44 Old 04-16-2009, 2:02 PM Thread Starter

Alright, that's what I was looking for, advice for what kind of steps to take, and in what order. Thanks!
post #11 of 44 Old 04-16-2009, 2:35 PM

Reputation Power: 78

520 chain conversion with -1/+2. I just did this and it's a different world.
post #12 of 44 Old 04-16-2009, 3:41 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoJames View Post
Fender Eliminator

Can never go wrong...

"Second is the first of the losers..."
post #13 of 44 Old 04-17-2009, 3:31 PM

ldavis,
Thanks. It amazes me how some get bikes and the first thing they want to do is modify it to the hilt, to make it faster and all they do is street ride. Todays bikes are more than capable of going fast. I agree with you as well, for street riding, brakes and suspension, is what should be modified. On the street, these two areas at any given time, can be used to the maximum, so it makes sense to upgrade.

To make a fast bike faster, and you are only street riding, just doesnt make sense to me, because on the streets, there are limits and far more things that you have no control over. That is why I asked him "why" he wants it to be faster. Define the type of riding you will be doing, then the money you spend will not potentially be a waste, especially if you do not have much to spend...

With regrads to suspension, have the stock suspension set up correctly, then see if there is a need to upgrade to better quality components. Again, for street riding, the stock suspension, may be capable of getting the job done, IF set up properly. I hardly know of anyone that has bought a bike, whether new or used, and before riding off, has set up their suspension properly...

Last edited by ptlcb1; 04-17-2009 at 3:37 PM.
post #14 of 44 Old 04-17-2009, 4:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ptl, you bring up some valid points! Perhaps I should concentrate on maneuverability rather then top speed!
post #15 of 44 Old 04-17-2009, 4:57 PM

Your welcome I have been to NYC once and just based on what I seen with regards to driving there, yea, brakes and suspension is what I would upgrade. Steel braided brake lines and maybe fresh brake oil. You bought your bike used, so who knows the last time the brake fluid was changed. I would rather have the piece of mind, knowing that I have fresh fluid.

Honestly, have you set the sag on your 954 since you got it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page