front brake noise - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-16-2009, 9:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via AIM to phantom45 Send a message via MSN to phantom45 Send a message via Yahoo to phantom45
front brake noise

took the bike out for a shake down after winter mods which included having the front end apart. new ebc pads, a new/used rotor(from dropping the wheel when it was off the bike), fresh fluid and well bled system. with that being said the fronts "sing". almost sounds like locusts or an electric motor when your hard on the lever at good speed. no vibration/pulsation at all. they also seem to drag a bit but i think they always have had a little resistance just now noticable with the noise. the rotors direction is proper and the pads seem to be seated flush.... any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-16-2009, 10:03 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Re: front brake noise

normal, mine did the same for a track day or 2. kinda cool sounding
post #3 of 18 Old 04-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom45 View Post
took the bike out for a shake down after winter mods which included having the front end apart. new ebc pads, a new/used rotor(from dropping the wheel when it was off the bike), fresh fluid and well bled system. with that being said the fronts "sing". almost sounds like locusts or an electric motor when your hard on the lever at good speed. no vibration/pulsation at all. they also seem to drag a bit but i think they always have had a little resistance just now noticable with the noise. the rotors direction is proper and the pads seem to be seated flush.... any ideas?
My discs make the noise as well - doesn't bother me though so I've never tried hunting for the cause.
Couldn't the disc be straightened?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270

Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
My discs make the noise as well - doesn't bother me though so I've never tried hunting for the cause.
My theory is the noise is made by the hole's in the disc as they go through the pads at speed.

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca9540 View Post
My theory is the noise is made by the hole's in the disc as they go through the pads at speed.
Possibly.
I've wondered if the cooler air trapped in the holes expands quickly enough when the disc wears below a certain thickness to make an audible pop as it comes out of the pads. Was the only reason I could think of for why it wasn't happening originally :-)

My discs are under thickness and warped these days so it could be anything :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 18 Old 04-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270

Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540

Quote:
Possibly.
I've wondered if the cooler air trapped in the holes expands quickly enough when the disc wears below a certain thickness to make an audible pop as it comes out of the pads. Was the only reason I could think of for why it wasn't happening originally
Thats what I was thinking .

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-17-2009, 2:06 AM

Reputation Power: 0

My disks make the same kind of noise,has never worried me.To be quite honest I think it sounds cool.I had a shudder at one stage with the old disks in and found the one pad was seated slightly skew.Changed everything new and the shudder was still there.I then studied up on some old bike books of mine as I found no solution in the new books.One suggestion was to turn the discs 90 degrees in opposite direction of each other.It worked,gone was the shudder.Anyway,that was just for interests sake
Cheers
Chukky
post #8 of 18 Old 04-17-2009, 2:08 AM

Correction,I had a shudder with the old pads in
post #9 of 18 Old 04-17-2009, 4:12 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cwZ5zeiTyk
At 0:58 as I brake pulling up on the grid you can hear my discs very clearly.

post #10 of 18 Old 04-17-2009, 9:58 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to phantom45 Send a message via MSN to phantom45 Send a message via Yahoo to phantom45

i spoke with someone that has a bit of knowledge with braking dynamics. the noise is normal and usually due to the hard compound of a pad and minute variations from the crossdrilling in the rotors. usually goes away when the pads seat. and can be rectified if not by chamfering the leading edge of the pad. i will give it a few more miles and see if they seat. if not i will try to quiet them up by running a file across the edge..

blade- i took the bent disk to a local wheel repair shop for them to give it a shot. time is a factor and the wheel shop never really tried to repair a rotor before so i figured i'd roll the dice with some ebay parts to get on the road and if they can straighten them, good. if not i'll send it to wills sometime. cant hurt to have a back up set? right?
post #11 of 18 Old 04-17-2009, 3:41 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
blade- i took the bent disk to a local wheel repair shop for them to give it a shot.
I've straightened lots of bent discs usually due to getting bent during tyre changes. I just thought any damage from simply being dropped probably isn't very significant.

post #12 of 18 Old 04-18-2009, 9:56 AM Thread Starter

about 4mm and its in the hub. enough run out to floor the lever by just spinning the wheel by hand.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-18-2009, 10:10 AM

When I have changed disc pads on my motorcycle or other vehicles, I use some brake squel elimnator. It goes between the pad and piston of the brake.
You can get it at any auto store. All it does is absorb the virbations between the parts.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-18-2009, 4:02 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
about 4mm and its in the hub. enough run out to floor the lever by just spinning the wheel by hand.
If you mean that the disc is straight and it's only the carrier that's bent, that's the easiest to straighten. Just use an aluminium drift and a hammer and tap gently until the dial gauge shows true. The carrier is very soft.

post #15 of 18 Old 12-12-2010, 5:38 AM

Thanks for posting that video last year bladeracer! I've been going nuts trying to determine if the sound of my 929 is a problem or not.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page