954 first bike need help! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954 first bike need help!

hey guys whats up new to the forum here. its an awesome forum so i had to join in. so on to the topic. ok, now i need your guys help/opinion on this topic. should the 954 be my first bike? i really dig the 954. it looks aggressive, and it sounds so nice. my uncle has one and its an awesome bike. i am not a TOTAL newb btw and i have some mileage under my belt. i actually started on a beaten up kawasaki gto 125. the meter stopped readin at 328,xxx km (204120 miles). so i rode it every single day for about 5-6 hours for a month. i got tired of the bike after one month. i want to use it mostly for commuting and for some fun. i know the power of this bike so im going to respect it with my life. what do u guys suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-19-2009, 1:58 AM

Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via Yahoo to curt248
Re: 954 first bike need help!

If you have a lot of experience riding a bike you might be ok. Most of the trouble with a newbee on a big bike is that they not familar with the controls. This allows them to forget about the need to control the power. If you do try to ride a 954, do not ride more than 5 feet in first gear. You need to shift into second gear just after you get rolling. These bikes have way too much power for a newbee to be used in first gear (and even for some of us). First gear can be real jumpy and just hitting a bump the wrong way could turn your wrist and make the bike jerk or wheelie.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-19-2009, 2:41 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270

Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka3im View Post
hey guys whats up new to the forum here. its an awesome forum so i had to join in. so on to the topic. ok, now i need your guys help/opinion on this topic. should the 954 be my first bike? i really dig the 954. it looks aggressive, and it sounds so nice. my uncle has one and its an awesome bike. i am not a TOTAL newb btw and i have some mileage under my belt. i actually started on a beaten up kawasaki gto 125. the meter stopped readin at 328,xxx km (204120 miles). so i rode it every single day for about 5-6 hours for a month. i got tired of the bike after one month. i want to use it mostly for commuting and for some fun. i know the power of this bike so im going to respect it with my life. what do u guys suggest?
Firstly, G'day & . Secondly the 954, or any litre bike for that matter, have to be teated with respect and caution because they will bite you on the @rse if you don't. I have been riding for nearly 37 years, been riding 954's for the last 7 years, and these big capacity bikes still scare the bejesus out of me at some time or another if I zigg when I should of zagged if you know what I mean. Ridden carefully and sensibly they are a lot of fun, but remember, don't get carried away with the moment. They bite HARD.

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-19-2009, 8:32 AM

i have a 954 and it is a real terror,i ride my friends cbr1000 05 and it feels easier to ride less aggro.maybe its just me,dont know?
post #5 of 10 Old 04-19-2009, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt248 View Post
If you have a lot of experience riding a bike you might be ok. Most of the trouble with a newbee on a big bike is that they not familar with the controls. This allows them to forget about the need to control the power. If you do try to ride a 954, do not ride more than 5 feet in first gear. You need to shift into second gear just after you get rolling. These bikes have way too much power for a newbee to be used in first gear (and even for some of us). First gear can be real jumpy and just hitting a bump the wrong way could turn your wrist and make the bike jerk or wheelie.

yeah once i went out with my uncle and his friends to go out riding. we went to this one road where he would drag race all of his friends on his 954. so i just got bored watchin them race over n over again . so he comes up to me and hes like do u wanna ride the 954? i was like heel naaw im too scared of the bike. hes like just respect the bike and ur good to go. so i got on, put it in first gear and i went off. as soon as i got up to like 25 km i immediately shifted to 6th gear. i held the clutch and i went slowly down the road. the road was 5-6 miles long. i rode the bike but i was too scared of it so i shifted it to the last gear. the fastest i went was 65 mph on it (100 km/h) since it was a straight road.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-19-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca9540 View Post
Firstly, G'day & . Secondly the 954, or any litre bike for that matter, have to be teated with respect and caution because they will bite you on the @rse if you don't. I have been riding for nearly 37 years, been riding 954's for the last 7 years, and these big capacity bikes still scare the bejesus out of me at some time or another if I zigg when I should of zagged if you know what I mean. Ridden carefully and sensibly they are a lot of fun, but remember, don't get carried away with the moment. They bite HARD.
yeah i no dude this bike has ridiculous power. my uncle showed me what this bike can do and i was scared shitless lmfao. i almost puked when he first gave me a ride on it.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-19-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent954 View Post
i have a 954 and it is a real terror,i ride my friends cbr1000 05 and it feels easier to ride less aggro.maybe its just me,dont know?
i thought the 1krr was more aggressive due to the seat being more smaller. dk i heard that the 1krr is more uncomfortable then the 954.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-19-2009, 1:39 PM

My first bike was a 954 that has full exhaust and 1up on the back one down on the front, and the first week I had it I hardly slept at night cause it scared me so bad. I never regret getting it, but I was riding a r6 yesterday and it did feel alot more comfy. The 954 is not a starter bike, but for me there was no other bike that I would rather own.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-20-2009, 10:38 AM

Reputation Power: 12

When I first got my 954 I would literally tell myself "It'll buck you off in a heartbeat". I did this whenever that little devil on my shoulder started to take control of my throttle hand. Kind of corny but it kept me in check while I learned the nature of the bike. Just respect the CC!!

The only thing I trust on the road are the nine hundred and fifty four CC under me..........
post #10 of 10 Old 04-20-2009, 6:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsidenv View Post
When I first got my 954 I would literally tell myself "It'll buck you off in a heartbeat". I did this whenever that little devil on my shoulder started to take control of my throttle hand. Kind of corny but it kept me in check while I learned the nature of the bike. Just respect the CC!!
dude my legs were shaking when i was ridin the beast . u dont know how scared i was this bike has so much power its out of this world

check out this guy. hes actually my dads good ol friend. hes been riding for over 30 years and more than half of those years he would wheelie on his 125. one time he crashed into a bus while doing a wheelie and had to get a wire jaw and some stitches. well see this vid and see how much balls this guy has

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2F8wsMK-Jc

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page