buying a 929rr in a week. Questions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 04-20-2009, 2:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

buying a 929rr in a week. Questions

First off I must say that I know I don't need a literbike!

ok so apparently I have just waiting for an excuse to get a bike again since i got to California. I just spent the weekend helping my friend pick out a 09 cbr600RR phoenix package that i am going to ride home for him on Tuesday since he hasn't gotten his licence yet. I now have several close friends around here that have sport bikes ( all 600's ) and I decided that i would pick something up for myself. My dream bike has always been either an F4i or a 929RR since they where the top bikes back when i started riding and lets face it for most riders an F4i is all they would ever need.
my riding experience consists of several years on a 2000 "kan O tuna" 600. I found a red and black 01 929RR with only 9k miles for 4K which is a pretty good deal although its not the Erion Edition i have dreamed of I'm not going to let plastics dictate my purchasing choice unless the color is just BAD.

anyway first of all i wanted to know if there is anything i should look at specific to the fireblade that might indicate any problems with the bike. Is there anything i should get for the bike as soon as possible I.E. steering dampener? I probably won't do many upgrades beyond a slip on for better sound since the power will be more than enough. Which leads me to my other question. I'm sure riding a literbike will produce new and interesting responses that I have not experienced since my other bike was lower on power i have not had to deal with light front wheels and such. any tips for getting through my first few weeks to keep me out of trouble while I get used to the power and lightness?

anyways I am very exited that i will finnaly own my dream bike ( even if its not an Erion ). I just hope my buddys can keep out of trouble on their new 600rr's since they are both fairly new riders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-20-2009, 2:21 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: buying a 929rr in a week. Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.k View Post
is anything i should look at specific to the fireblade that might indicate any problems with the bike. Is there anything i should get for the bike as soon as possible I.E. steering dampener? I probably won't do many upgrades beyond a slip on for better sound since the power will be more than enough.

Common 929 problems:
Servo motor gears stripping and HTEV jamming.
Stator and regulator.
Fuel pressure regulator.
Crash damage (oil leaks) to left side of cases behind the stator cover.
Mounting tabs broken off of headlight and instrument cluster.
That's all I can think of right now.

Steering _dampers_ are fine if you like them but not required.
Slip-ons would require a new mid-pipe or a half-system (to the HTEV) as the 929/954 is a bolt-on muffler.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 34 Old 04-20-2009, 2:45 AM Thread Starter

I will pull off the fairings and have a look before I take it home. i talked to the owner and he seemed like an honorable guy. the plastics looked stock but some of the stickers where not on them. he said he removed them because he though it looked better like that.

stator/regulator and FPR might be hard to spot as problems. I'll tell him to have it cold when I come so I can see how it warms up.

I hear a lot about this HTEV setup. lots of people remove it? I saw a post saying it was just for sound regulations and in fact didn''t improve low-midrange. same post also sait it was worht like 7-9hp if you removed it. Not that I would need any more power for a good while.

I asked about steering dampeners because headshake isn't somthing I have experianced much. never more than a little wiggle anyway on my previous bike. it occured to me that it might be somthing I would experiance more since with more power the front end would get light out of corners more. I imagind as long as I stay loose on the bars its not a big deal but it happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 04-20-2009, 3:44 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.k View Post
stator/regulator and FPR might be hard to spot as problems. I'll tell him to have it cold when I come so I can see how it warms up.

I hear a lot about this HTEV setup. lots of people remove it? I saw a post saying it was just for sound regulations and in fact didn''t improve low-midrange. same post also sait it was worht like 7-9hp if you removed it..
Probably the most important check of the FPR is to remove the oil filler cap and smell the oil. If it smells like fuel then you know the FPR has died.
The stator and regulator can be checked with a voltmeter across the battery terminals. If the volts are rising while the engine is running then the stator is probably fine. If volts are above about 15V then the regulator may be dying.
I don't know who would've said about gaining that kind of power from the HTEV but they're either a liar or a fool. You _might_ get that sort of gain from a full race exhaust system but I haven't seen any conclusive evidence of any gains at all from removing or disconnecting the HTEV.
Doing so does produce a noticeable _loss_ of midrange but it's still 929cc so it's not missed.
The flapper in the airbox does nothing so is most probably related to minimising induction noise. Either remove it or disconnect the cable and tie it down. Removing it is safer I think as there's no risk then of it closing up without you realising.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 34 Old 04-20-2009, 4:09 AM Thread Starter

exelent info Thanks!

I will have to hunt down my voltmeter.

And yea I figured removing that system would not really yeald much in the way of performance boost.
post #6 of 34 Old 04-20-2009, 3:30 PM Thread Starter

yup its offical I am going to pick it up on saturday granted it passes visual inspection. I'll take off the fairings and check the oil and battery/charging system. its going to be a 2 and a hald hour drive over to lake Tahoe to pick it up. and a great ride back too

now I'm going to discover how much it will cost to register in california. i hear that literbikes can be expensive. I will also have to pay a small fee since it hasn't been registered since november either

I'm very exited and a little nervious. First literbike! and the one I have always wanted to boot.

attached a couple pics of it here too.
Attached Thumbnails
3n13o53p2ZZZZZZZZZ94a0ee12d72d89f1adf.jpg‎   3nf3m43leZZZZZZZZZ94aa846aa30b2041a22.jpg‎  
post #7 of 34 Old 04-20-2009, 3:32 PM

Reputation Power: 78

congrats! Its a great bike.
post #8 of 34 Old 04-21-2009, 6:31 AM

Reputation Power: 0

hows it'. this is my first post on FB. just picked up a 929 this weekend although mines not as nice but cheap, (stunt bike). definatly check the fpr even if the miles are low. mine has all the HTEV crap intact but it'll proly come off when i do my exhaust. keep it outta first and be gentle.........
post #9 of 34 Old 04-22-2009, 3:17 PM Thread Starter

ok so oil filler cap to check for fuel smell and voltmeter to check the charging system.

I'm picking it up tomorrow! Lucky for me the guy works closer to me so I won't have to go 2.5 hours to get to it.

very exiting stuff. I guess I should pick up some frame sliders and maybe a slip on/ bolt on exhaust.

is there a place where there are sound clips of differant systems or is youtube my best bet? If I get a slip on should I jst go ahead and get a air filter and PC too? If I can get away with just the slip on I would rather because I don't need the extra power right now just want the sound.

I would have loved to pick up an Erion edition but the cheapest one I saw was 1500 more with double the miles so I figure if I could find a tank from one I could get the platics off ebay if I'm really desperate for it or if I lay the bike down and need to replace fairings.

On the frame slider subject. you don't have to cut to install them on the 929 do you?
post #10 of 34 Old 04-22-2009, 3:24 PM

Reputation Power: 122

I would definatly get a steering damper for it....Good Luck!!!
post #11 of 34 Old 04-22-2009, 3:50 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Congrats on the new ride!
The 929's have frame sliders already stock so no need to buy them.
post #12 of 34 Old 04-22-2009, 6:51 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassTurd View Post
Congrats on the new ride!
The 929's have frame sliders already stock so no need to buy them.
They do?
Where do they hide them then?

post #13 of 34 Old 04-22-2009, 7:31 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via AIM to FTP_929

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Common 929 problems:
Servo motor gears stripping and HTEV jamming.
Stator and regulator.
Fuel pressure regulator.
Crash damage (oil leaks) to left side of cases behind the stator cover.
Mounting tabs broken off of headlight and instrument cluster.
That's all I can think of right now.

Steering _dampers_ are fine if you like them but not required.
Slip-ons would require a new mid-pipe or a half-system (to the HTEV) as the 929/954 is a bolt-on muffler.
what is the HTEV? my bike has a scorpion bolt on pipe and has NO bottom end until about 4 grand you think its caused by the pipe?
post #14 of 34 Old 04-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTP_929 View Post
what is the HTEV? my bike has a scorpion bolt on pipe and has NO bottom end until about 4 grand you think its caused by the pipe?
Search HTEV. I and many others have described what it is, how it works and how to fix it many, many times already.

Nope - it's "caused" by the design of the engine.
The engine doesn't come onto the cams until around 4000rpm and that is where you should be riding it - it's not a V8 car.

post #15 of 34 Old 04-23-2009, 4:38 AM Thread Starter

yea just got to wake up super early tomarrow to go get it. and I have to call geico and straiten them out. they saw an accident on my record and jumped up the payments by 55 bucks a month but since it was an animal caused accident they should take it off. just one more thing I don't have time to deal with. I guess I've only myself to blame since i forgot to put it on the app as such so now I have to deal with it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page