NEED HELP FOR MY 954 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-21-2009, 4:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

NEED HELP FOR MY 954

Experts I need your help with this one, I have a 2003 honda CBR954RR with only 13000kms in it & in a mint condition, bought the bike second hand & checked evrything including the engine before I bought the bike. suddenly after using the bike for a few weeks & trying to test its power I found a leakage on my bike, I thought at first that it was the radiator since it was the coolant that was leaking, so I took off the cover & found out that there's a tiny hole in its crankcase from where the water is coming out when the bike goes hot. What I did is had it weld & after a few days of using the bike then there's an little bit of oil coming out on the side of its engine. What the [email protected] is wrong with this bike, this is the worst bike I ever had since this is my 13th bike. What should I do now? any solutions for this one? I've read one thread here that has the same problem as mine but it never ended up with a solution that's why I need the experts help for this one.
TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-21-2009, 5:38 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: NEED HELP FOR MY 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKA View Post
Experts I need your help with this one, I have a 2003 honda CBR954RR with only 13000kms in it & in a mint condition, bought the bike second hand & checked evrything including the engine before I bought the bike. suddenly after using the bike for a few weeks & trying to test its power I found a leakage on my bike, I thought at first that it was the radiator since it was the coolant that was leaking, so I took off the cover & found out that there's a tiny hole in its crankcase from where the water is coming out when the bike goes hot. What I did is had it weld & after a few days of using the bike then there's an little bit of oil coming out on the side of its engine. What the [email protected] is wrong with this bike, this is the worst bike I ever had since this is my 13th bike. What should I do now? any solutions for this one? I've read one thread here that has the same problem as mine but it never ended up with a solution that's why I need the experts help for this one.
TIA!
Can you post photos?
Where is the hole in the crankcase exactly?
Where is the oil coming from?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 12 Old 04-21-2009, 6:29 AM

It is a well documented case thatthe 2003 model can develop a crack between piston 1 and 2 The same happend to mine ,I was lucky enough that Honda South Africa replaced the engine for me.The same problem was had in Italy where the 2003 models that developed the crack were all replaced by Honda Italy. Honda Japan does not see this as a factory fault however and there is no recall on the bikes.Sadly though you have welded the case wich has now made the problem worse.Your best option now is to look for another engine.Dont even try to weld it any further you will damage it more and waste your time.Sorry old buddy,I know how you feel,it sucks
Chukky ( [email protected] )if you want any more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-21-2009, 6:59 AM

Reputation Power: 122

How well was it maintained before you had it? 13000km's is not alot, and how were you testing its power? It is either that or chukky is right.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-21-2009, 7:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Can you post photos?
Where is the hole in the crankcase exactly?
Where is the oil coming from?
Sorry haven't took pictures of it yet. It is a very tiny hole that you won't be able to see not unless the water starts to come out. It's located at the front side of the engine where the manifold are attached. The oil comes out on the side of the engine, on the gaskets.

I've heard that it is a factory defect from HONDA & most of the models that were affected was on the year of 2003 which is "SADLY" the year model of my 954.

Someone told me that I could use the 929 engine cause it has exactly the same size as the 954's & more reliable that the 954 engine? Is this possible? Should I do this or just simply sell the bike?
post #6 of 12 Old 04-21-2009, 7:16 AM

My opinion, I would most likely sell it before you spend more money trying to fix it, you could probably have another bike that doesn't leak anything after all is said and done.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-21-2009, 7:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spina220 View Post
How well was it maintained before you had it? 13000km's is not alot, and how were you testing its power? It is either that or chukky is right.
I know the guy who owns the bike & He's really taking good care of the bike...changes oil every 2000kms, clean air filters, lube etc.

I'm testing its power by trying to reach the max speed of the bike without hitting the red line ofcourse, I never thought that a bike such as the 954 would have a problem with that, cause this type of bike are built to hit it fast on track or on highways.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-21-2009, 7:31 AM

Exactly, I know a guy who has over 20,000 miles on his 954 and he says it runs perfect, I myself have 11,000 and those are both street and track miles, also mine is an 02 model so I hope my chances of getting a lemon are less. Was there any motor work done to it or is it stock?
post #9 of 12 Old 04-21-2009, 7:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spina220 View Post
Exactly, I know a guy who has over 20,000 miles on his 954 and he says it runs perfect, I myself have 11,000 and those are both street and track miles, also mine is an 02 model so I hope my chances of getting a lemon are less. Was there any motor work done to it or is it stock?

No modifications done in its engine aside from the 2 brothers slip on exhaust that's obviously wouldn't or let me say shouldn't hurt the engine. I'm just one of the "UNLUCKY" few who owns a GREAT BIKE that turns out to be a CRAP. [email protected] I'm starting to have a second thoughts on Honda's actually this is my 5th honda bike that I owned.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-21-2009, 7:52 AM

I wouldn't let it get you down, Honda do make good stuff, but when they do screw something up they always seem to try and say its not their fault. This is a little off topic but a friend of mine bought a 09 crf 450r that blew up 50 feet down the road from where it was first started and they tried to say it wasn't the bike, but you know they say different strokes for different folks. My favorite bike was a Suzuki.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-21-2009, 8:50 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Someone told me that I could use the 929 engine cause it has exactly the same size as the 954's & more reliable that the 954 engine? Is this possible? Should I do this or just simply sell the bike?
The 929 engine is the same but I don't know that it's more reliable than the 954.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #12 of 12 Old 04-21-2009, 8:53 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm testing its power by trying to reach the max speed of the bike without hitting the red line ofcourse, I never thought that a bike such as the 954 would have a problem with that, cause this type of bike are built to hit it fast on track or on highways.
The 929/954 was not designed to race as there was no class for more than 750cc then.
That "de-tuning" though is what makes them such good road bikes.
The 929 had the same power as the 2000 GSXR750.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page