BURNING SMELL 08 BLADE - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 04-21-2009, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

BURNING SMELL 08 BLADE

Posted a thread a few weeks ago about a sweet burning smell although a friend says its more like a rubber plastic toast smell? after I had my 1000 km service They just changed oil and replaced clamp (recall) . My bike gets this strong sweet smell that comes mostly from right hand side. Its not always there sometimes it can come from going round the block or after a long ride its definately worse when the bikes at an angle facing upslope. As soon as I switch the bike off it dissapears cant understant why it never made the smell for the first 1000km ?

I took the bike back to honda and they stripped it I got to see it and there were no leaks ? Mechanic seems lost for words. the bike runs between 77 on open road and in town 85- 100 the fan works properly. If there was something wrong with the engine would it not smoke or make strange sounds and would the temp not be sky high ?

Could it be the oil ? Im at my wits ends and have no clue what could be causing it ? The performance of the bike is normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-21-2009, 10:44 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Re: BURNING SMELL 08 BLADE

Strange one bru... let me know when you figure it out
post #3 of 30 Old 04-21-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazTLF View Post
more like a rubber plastic toast smell?
make sure that ther isnt a loaf of white stashed under your seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 04-21-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Wish it was !
post #5 of 30 Old 04-21-2009, 12:45 PM

This may be of no help but when I switched oil in my dual sport to motul (i think that's it) it has a sweet smell whenever I run it. In mine it's the oil giving off the sweet smell. I think I spilt a little when filling because it was real strong in the beginning. Now I can only smell it when I really get on it.

The only thing I trust on the road are the nine hundred and fifty four CC under me..........
post #6 of 30 Old 04-21-2009, 2:56 PM Thread Starter

I was also thinking of the oil not sure what they used in the bike though will have to find out ? I know that they did spill when doing the oil change. but I would have thought after putting 1500km on that it would have gone seems to have got slightly worse. thanks though
post #7 of 30 Old 04-21-2009, 3:31 PM

have you wiped off the drain plug and then looked after a ride to see if any drops of oil have developed? with everything you described that would be a good place to check. slope angle means more oil towards drain plug. long ride = oil real hot and thin. Have you checked to see if your oil level has dropped at all. Might not be much but might be noticeable. Could also just be some oil hide out from the spill that when riding heats up and either runs and gets blown onto exhaust or the block. How about the oil filter? did the old gasket on the filter get stuck to the block and maybe got overlooked and now there's two gaskets? (Been there, done that) You could also wipe down the filter and check for drops that might develope after a ride. I might be asking questions you've already answered but I'm just throwing ideas out there. I just like the oil theory.

The only thing I trust on the road are the nine hundred and fifty four CC under me..........

Last edited by flipsidenv; 04-21-2009 at 3:44 PM.
post #8 of 30 Old 04-21-2009, 3:59 PM Thread Starter

Have checked drain plug but not the oil filter ? My oil level has not dropped ? Im definately gonna check the oil filter. if the old gasket got stuck to the block would it be causing damage ?
post #9 of 30 Old 04-21-2009, 4:11 PM

Depends on how tight the new filter was put on if they put a new one on. Sometimes they end up being pretty good size leaks. I'd wipe it down and take it for a spin then check again. If oil is leaking I'd take it back to them unless you want to pop the filter off and check yourself.

post #10 of 30 Old 04-21-2009, 4:39 PM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 182

Garage

Sweet burning smell coming from right side? Or maybe just a smell from the bike that is sweet smelling like rubber and plastic being toasted. There's a good chance that when the clamp change was done; the anti freeze was leaked all over when the bike was reserviced after the clamp change. I do not think the hoses have to come off to do the clamp change,(you can unscrew the clamps all the way open and remove them, and vise versa for installing the new ones.), however, the anti freeze may have been serviced just to be accurate. If so, take a look at the reservuore under the seat,(thats a nasty place to try and fill something,) and the service cap,(aka,radiator cap), is on the right side just under the intake tube, and of course, behind the fairing. In this particular location a little spill can leave that kind of smell for some time. Wash the bike and try it again. It may even be possible that a clamp in the radiator cap area is just a little loose and when pressure biulds, a very small leak is happenning there. Just an Idea.
post #11 of 30 Old 04-21-2009, 4:49 PM
Supporting Member

Garage

[quote=sidmarklong;803231] Sweet burning smell coming from right side? Or maybe just a smell from the bike that is sweet smelling like rubber and plastic being toasted. There's a good chance that when the clamp change was done; the anti freeze was leaked all over when the bike was reserviced after the clamp change. I do not think the hoses have to come off to do the clamp change,(you can unscrew the clamps all the way open and remove them, and vise versa for installing the new ones.), however, the anti freeze may have been serviced just to be accurate. If so, take a look at the reservuore under the seat,(thats a nasty place to try and fill something,) and the service cap,(aka,radiator cap), is on the right side just under the intake tube, and of course, behind the fairing. In this particular location a little spill can leave that kind of smell for some time. Wash the bike and try it again. It may even be possible that a clamp in the radiator cap area is just a little loose and when pressure biulds, a very small leak is happenning there. Just an Idea.[/I may have assumed a little bit, but I think thats the smell of anti freeze.quote]
post #12 of 30 Old 04-21-2009, 6:31 PM Thread Starter

How would you find the leak ? we looked at all the clamps and cleaned inside the fairings and some hoses ? I did think that there was a coolant leak at first but after stripping the bike nothing ?
post #13 of 30 Old 04-21-2009, 6:52 PM

Reputation Power: 11

I had the same problem on my 929 and couldnt figure it out, finally saw that sometimes my foot would slip back and the bottom of my boot would start to melt off on my pipe. I dont know if this helps but check and see if you foot comes anywhere near any 'hot' areas.
post #14 of 30 Old 04-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Supporting Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazTLF View Post
How would you find the leak ? we looked at all the clamps and cleaned inside the fairings and some hoses ? I did think that there was a coolant leak at first but after stripping the bike nothing ?
I think if I suggest something to do, that more than likely you have already done it. I'll try any way; if you can run the bike until it is hot and the fan is going, (the pressure in the cooling system is up enough to cause a leak, if there is one),take the fairing off while the bike is still running. Watch out for burnt finger's and the sort's. Maybe then you will see something leaking. That's pretty hard stuff to work out, but it can be done. One thing to look at is, if the cap is on good,(DONT!! take the cap off until the bike has cooled, chance you'll get scorched !). You find the cap leaking, shut down the bike and leave it alone for a while. Come back to it later,(when cooled), and mess with the cap then. The rubber seal on the cap could be bad,(wrinkled,stretched,torn,ect).
I am pretty stumped about this also. I dont think your leaking oil, or using Motul or some other synthetic. Since you have already had the thing appart enough to see this area, I would say that maybe the radiator cap is the possible problem,(you wouldnt neccessarely see a bad cap seal for it is hidden, and this a very small leak?). The other thing to consider is that maybe the insulation on the fairing is soaked with anti freeze, no matter how much you wash it now its gonna smell when it gets hot,(I dont recomend taking the insulation off, just ride the bike until the smell burns out of the insulation, it will eventually ). Unless you have already done these sort of things and found no problems; thats all the tricks I got up my sleeve's.
post #15 of 30 Old 04-22-2009, 4:05 AM

I get that smell but only when i wash or polish the bike and the left over polish or wax gets hot. or it has gone on the exhaust and is just burning off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page