Blade RRW Single Sided Swing Arm! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-22-2009, 8:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Blade RRW Single Sided Swing Arm!

Hi all, just joined the forum. I am bringing my Blade out of retirement and getting it all shiney and road ready. Now, i have always wanted to do the single sided swing arm converstion. I hav a guy (engineer) that is prepared to help me but needs info on whats involved first. Has anyone done this, can you help?
He has asked for the names/references to the exact VRF swing arm i need, the shim details and any parts to look out for. If i did it the bike would never work again so i really need info guys if poss.
My bike is the 1998/9 CBR900 RRW. 918cc (last of carb model)

Anything would be brill. [email protected] would be great as the addres to send to as i have to fwd to the engineer

thanks all and promise pikkie when its done!

stolichnaya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-22-2009, 9:20 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Blade RRW Single Sided Swing Arm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolichnaya View Post
Now, i have always wanted to do the single sided swing arm converstion. I hav a guy (engineer) that is prepared to help me but needs info on whats involved first. Has anyone done this, can you help?
Just do a search as this has been covered in enormous depth numerous times already.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 16 Old 04-22-2009, 9:33 AM Thread Starter

i have had a look about but cant see a definative list / explanation. the ones i have seen bhave been fragmented with other bits n bobs that i wondered if can be filtered down to just the sssa job itself. also the actual parts i ould need as there seems to be a few wrong bits and options? cheers for the reply though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-22-2009, 9:39 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
i have had a look about but cant see a definative list / explanation. the ones i have seen bhave been fragmented with other bits n bobs that i wondered if can be filtered down to just the sssa job itself. also the actual parts i ould need as there seems to be a few wrong bits and options? cheers for the reply though
I can recall reading that stuff so hopefully somebody else will be willing to write it all down again for you.
While you're waiting though keep searching as I'm sure the info is there somewhere. I have no interest in the conversion so I was merely taking an interest in general modification and fabrication.
I've even got a vague idea that somebody was making kits to do the job?
You could also try streetfighter forums as that's usually the guys going for the single-siders.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 16 Old 04-22-2009, 9:41 AM Thread Starter

brill stuff... its a pipedream at the mo but you never know.... one day.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
brill stuff... its a pipedream at the mo but you never know.... one day.
Yep, I've got three sheds full of projects :-)

post #7 of 16 Old 04-23-2009, 9:41 PM

Reputation Power: 19

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...-complete.html

www.tireqwik.com

here are some links that i used to get info when i did my SSSA conversion on my 929.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-23-2009, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Hi all, just joined the forum. I am bringing my Blade out of retirement and getting it all shiney and road ready. Now, i have always wanted to do the single sided swing arm converstion. I hav a guy (engineer) that is prepared to help me but needs info on whats involved first. Has anyone done this, can you help?
He has asked for the names/references to the exact VRF swing arm i need, the shim details and any parts to look out for. If i did it the bike would never work again so i really need info guys if poss.
My bike is the 1998/9 CBR900 RRW. 918cc (last of carb model)

Anything would be brill. [email protected] would be great as the addres to send to as i have to fwd to the engineer

thanks all and promise pikkie when its done!

stolichnaya

Hope those links help, i will have a look see what else i have saved on the PC
post #9 of 16 Old 04-25-2009, 8:23 PM

Reputation Power: 14

94-97 VFR750 swingarm
20x25x25 mm spacer (mcmasters.com)
90-97 wheel, or 98+ wheel w/ notches

That's all you really need. You'll need a special tool to take off the swingarm castle nut (I can sell you one if you decide to do the conv). 14mm allen wrench. Various regular tools and sockets.

You'll probably need to change out the sprockets and install a longer chain as well.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-14-2010, 6:04 AM

Hi there, hopefully you may pick this up. I have just bought a really nice 98 blade that i fancy putting a SSSA into. I am assuming from the threads i have picked up on that the later arm out of a 2000 VFR 800 wont fit as its too wide, is this correct.

I'd be grateful of any help advise.

Cheers
post #11 of 16 Old 12-14-2010, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humph View Post
Hi there, hopefully you may pick this up. I have just bought a really nice 98 blade that i fancy putting a SSSA into. I am assuming from the threads i have picked up on that the later arm out of a 2000 VFR 800 wont fit as its too wide, is this correct.

I'd be grateful of any help advise.

Cheers
Thats right you need an earlier model SSSA to fit your 98 blade. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. im happy with my conversion and worth the $$$ spent.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-14-2010, 6:19 PM

Any 94-97 VFR single sider kits out there for sale!! Be grateful of any guidance/direction

Cheers
post #13 of 16 Old 12-14-2010, 8:34 PM

Reputation Power: 144

Send a message via MSN to LoopyLee Send a message via Skype™ to LoopyLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humph View Post
Any 94-97 VFR single sider kits out there for sale!! Be grateful of any guidance/direction

Cheers
Try Ebay, that's where a lot of streetfighter lovers find them

What you leave behind is not what is engraved on stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others - Pericles

Blade Rider

post #14 of 16 Old 12-16-2010, 12:50 PM

Reputation Power: 18

I am not sure, but I recall that the 94-97 wheel was slightly slimmer than the 90-93 wheel and the 98+ onwards wheels.

What would that mean? Well - the 94-97 wheel I understand was made for a 170 cross section rear whereas the Blades ran 180 cross section (5.5").

Also - do not need to notch the 90-97 wheels if you are prepared to do some minor modification to the bolts and nuts that hold the rear disc on..(I have done 2000+ miles on this modification!, and have used the VFR800 rear wheel). PM if you are interested in more detail....
post #15 of 16 Old 12-16-2010, 3:44 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonblade View Post
I am not sure, but I recall that the 94-97 wheel was slightly slimmer than the 90-93 wheel and the 98+ onwards wheels.

What would that mean? Well - the 94-97 wheel I understand was made for a 170 cross section rear whereas the Blades ran 180 cross section (5.5").

Also - do not need to notch the 90-97 wheels if you are prepared to do some minor modification to the bolts and nuts that hold the rear disc on..(I have done 2000+ miles on this modification!, and have used the VFR800 rear wheel). PM if you are interested in more detail....

All VFR's from 1990 onwards should have 5.5" wheels. Before that I think they were 3.5".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page