My Scottoiler installation - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 5:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 166

My Scottoiler installation

I had been thinking about getting a Scottoiler ever since I bought my Blade, but they are not cheap so I put it off time and again. I looked at a couple of cheaper systems, but neither were automatic so I decided against them.

Recently, a 'reasonably' priced Scottoiler came up on eBay, so I thought what the hell and bought it. It arrived and then sat on a shelf in the garage for a while until one weekend I decided to have a go at fitting it.

I downloaded the instructons for the Blade and (thankfully) had a 'practice run' where I fitted the tubes temporarily. I soon found 4 problems:

1) I couldn't position the feeder tube from the rear wheel spindle as shown in the instructions, due to the way the spindle is sort of recessed in to the swingarm.

2) If instead I ran the tube under the swingarm and on to the rear sprocket, I could no longer use a paddock stand under the swingarm.

3) On my rear sprocket, the cut-outs run right to the edge - fine when the rear wheel rotated forwards, but as soon as I rotated the wheel backwards, the delivery nozzle got caught up in the rear sprocket, which either relocated the nozzle away from the sprocket, or could have ripped it off completely.

4) The cable ties and tubing look ugly (IMHO).

At this point, I bravely decided to give up....

A couple of weeks later, I had an idea...

Why not try to run it to the front sprocket? Checking the front sprocket cover revealed enough space to the rear to accommodate the tubing. I removed the cover to have a go.....

After some initial experiments, it seemed feasible. I ran the tube down inside the left hand side of the frame (vertical section) which comes out very close to the front sprocket.

I found that, with the metal rod inside the end of the delivery tube, it's pretty easy to bend it in to any shape you like. The tubing needs to be bent in to an 'L' shape to allow the nozzle to feed on to the top of the front sprocket nut.

Next came the problem of how to hold the tube in place. After some more head scratching, I saw that the rear subframe bolts to the frame in this area, providing some potential mounting points. I took the Scottoiler-supplied bracket, found a washer and with a bit of filing made this:

This bracket mounts on to the lower subframe mount, in between the frame and the subframe. You can just see the outer edge of the bracket in the pics.

The delivery tube runs down inside the vertical frame section, in an L shape to the rear sprocket. Here is a pic showing the bracket and tubing inside the frame - sorry it's poor quality, but I was like a contortionist trying to get this pic!

The actual Scottoiler unit (RMV in their terms) is simply mounted under the seat, at an angle to allow the oil to flow downwards.

The vacuum connector is connected to the right-hand side carb balancing port, this is a REALLY fiddly job to fit, but you get there eventually, with or without skin left on your fingers!

With everything lined up, the final (scary) stage was to cut the tubes to the correct length. Now you could, I suppose, leave them as standard and route the excess appropriately, but I didn't want to do that. So after a bit of measuring, the Stanley knife was called in and the excess tubing cut away.

Result: What Scottoiler? Apart from the edge of the bracket, you can't see a thing!

I've done about 1000 miles so far with the Scottoiler fitted, it seems to be working OK. The outside of the chain seems to get more lube than the inside (it only delivers oil to the outside face of the sprocket) but the inside links seem wet enough to be lubed.

So far, I'm pretty happy with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 6:46 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: My Scottoiler installation

got a scotoiler on my 929 but the only prob is the amount of excess oil i get everywhere! for some reason i have 2 tubes on mine, one going to the outside of the chain links and one on the inside links. just really annoys me having to clean oil from my bike every time i go out......and yes i have had it on settings 1-7 with out too much difference. theres nothing getting on the tyres or anything its just more on my swingarm. they are a good idea its just the extra cleaning required thats annoyying!
post #3 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 6:55 PM

Reputation Power: 11

I had one of those scotoiler on my last bike (vfr). although good idea they cover the back end of the bike in crap and eventually i let the oil run out and then just lubed myself....would never bother with one again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-24-2009, 7:02 PM

Reputation Power: 15

That sounds like alot of work Destructo, a freind and i have recently fitted ones to our 07 and 06 blades respectively and have encountered no such problems.
He put his resevoir under the main seat beneath the sub frame with the feeder tube running along the top and inside of the swingarm.
I put my resevoir under the pillion seat with a similar feeder tube lay out. The feeder tube is not all that noticeable but being honest a minor aesthetic sore is a small price to pay for the job it does.

Getting the feed setting right is more taxing than you'd like, i know, but worth it. your chain will live 3 times longer at least with one.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-25-2009, 4:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz929RR View Post
got a scotoiler on my 929 but the only prob is the amount of excess oil i get everywhere! for some reason i have 2 tubes on mine, one going to the outside of the chain links and one on the inside links. just really annoys me having to clean oil from my bike every time i go out......and yes i have had it on settings 1-7 with out too much difference. theres nothing getting on the tyres or anything its just more on my swingarm. they are a good idea its just the extra cleaning required thats annoyying!
Not had too much trouble so far - I have mine somewhere in the middle, when I turned it up too high it did spray oil over the back of the bike, but sonce turning it down again it hasn't been too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180ade View Post
I had one of those scotoiler on my last bike (vfr). although good idea they cover the back end of the bike in crap and eventually i let the oil run out and then just lubed myself....would never bother with one again.
Well I'll see how it goes - they're a bit like marmite these things, love 'em or hate 'em - It's too early for me to decide at the moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gappo mancini View Post
That sounds like alot of work Destructo, a freind and i have recently fitted ones to our 07 and 06 blades respectively and have encountered no such problems.
He put his resevoir under the main seat beneath the sub frame with the feeder tube running along the top and inside of the swingarm.
I put my resevoir under the pillion seat with a similar feeder tube lay out. The feeder tube is not all that noticeable but being honest a minor aesthetic sore is a small price to pay for the job it does.

Getting the feed setting right is more taxing than you'd like, i know, but worth it. your chain will live 3 times longer at least with one.
Well it took quite a bit of thought and fiddling about, but I'm pleased with the end result. It seems to work just as good from the front sprocket, the only limitation being that you can't actually see the oil coming out to set the flow rate - I'm just going by how wet the chain looks and how much excess oil gets thrown off. Chain too dry = increase the rate, too much fling = reduce the flow rate.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-27-2009, 9:04 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I had one of these on my old 'Blade. I think they're great. If you're not having any luck with reducing the flow, you could always try the red Scottoil instead of the blue one; it's meant for warmer ambient temperatures so it's thicker and will flow slower. Worth a try! It took me a while to get it right but once I did I didn't look back.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-29-2009, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseyboy View Post
I had one of these on my old 'Blade. I think they're great. If you're not having any luck with reducing the flow, you could always try the red Scottoil instead of the blue one; it's meant for warmer ambient temperatures so it's thicker and will flow slower. Worth a try! It took me a while to get it right but once I did I didn't look back.
No problems so far adjusting the flow - just needed to experiment to find a setting which oils the chain but minimises fling. I seem to have a good balance now, although it is MUCH lower rate than Scottoiler suggests which has 2 benefits:

1. It gives a longer range than the 4-500 miles Scottoiler suggest.
2. I won't be paying Scottoiler as much money keeping to keep the thing filled with oil!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page