929 Fuel system issue - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-25-2009, 9:20 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-02-2008
Location: Seattle
Age: 31
Posts: 2,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 78
                     
929 Fuel system issue

Hey Guys,
After 9000 miles, my first real issue. So this is whats up; sometimes the fuel pump wont prime = no start. When it does prime, the bike will start no problem, but tends to stall more than not, can be after 30 secs or 5 min. After turning the key, and flipping the kill switch, 3/10 times the pump will prime and itll start. I do have a manual and first I know i should get if it is getting voltage, which ill do tonight, but since it primes once in awhile im assuming it cant be that. When its running, it runs perfect. Now the question is, can it simply be a clogged fuel filter? Seems naive since the pump doesnt prime...Help please!
BurtonF166 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 04-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 929 Fuel system issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonF166 View Post
Hey Guys,
After 9000 miles, my first real issue. So this is whats up; sometimes the fuel pump wont prime = no start. When it does prime, the bike will start no problem, but tends to stall more than not, can be after 30 secs or 5 min. After turning the key, and flipping the kill switch, 3/10 times the pump will prime and itll start. I do have a manual and first I know i should get if it is getting voltage, which ill do tonight, but since it primes once in awhile im assuming it cant be that. When its running, it runs perfect. Now the question is, can it simply be a clogged fuel filter? Seems naive since the pump doesnt prime...Help please!
If you're a rider that uses the kill switch instead of the ignition to stop the engine I would say it's the killswitch.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 04-25-2009, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-02-2008
Location: Seattle
Age: 31
Posts: 2,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 78
                     
Re: 929 Fuel system issue

Ive heard of bad connections in the housing...every time I hit the switch, one of two things happens. 1) the pump primes as expected or 2) i hear a slight click and no priming, then 3 secs later, the red light and FI both turn off as though all is ready to be used.
BurtonF166 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 04-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 929 Fuel system issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonF166 View Post
Ive heard of bad connections in the housing...every time I hit the switch, one of two things happens. 1) the pump primes as expected or 2) i hear a slight click and no priming, then 3 secs later, the red light and FI both turn off as though all is ready to be used.
The click is the relay.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 04-25-2009, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-02-2008
Location: Seattle
Age: 31
Posts: 2,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 78
                     
Re: 929 Fuel system issue

Im away from the bike right now, but by the relay clicking, could i assume that its getting voltage? I mean, it runs, and i drove it 3 miles. Must have voltage. Could it be a bad ground from the pump thats lose? How frequently do fuel pump go out? What are the symptons?
BurtonF166 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 04-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 929 Fuel system issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonF166 View Post
Im away from the bike right now, but by the relay clicking, could i assume that its getting voltage? I mean, it runs, and i drove it 3 miles. Must have voltage. Could it be a bad ground from the pump thats lose? How frequently do fuel pump go out? What are the symptons?
The relay is the switch that triggers the fuel pump.
If the relay isn't working the pump won't either.
I would look at the killswitch.
As long as the killswitch gets a good connection then the relay and pump will run fine - until you flick the switch again and don't get a connection.
You can try bypassing the killswitch to rule it out.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Last edited by bladeracer; 04-25-2009 at 11:46 PM.
bladeracer is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 04-25-2009, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-02-2008
Location: Seattle
Age: 31
Posts: 2,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 78
                     
Re: 929 Fuel system issue

thank you, Ill try it and see what i find. Helpful as always!
BurtonF166 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 04-26-2009, 1:11 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 07-02-2008
Location: Seattle
Age: 31
Posts: 2,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 78
                     
Re: 929 Fuel system issue

Simple. Floppy ground coming from the pump - fixed!
BurtonF166 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 04-26-2009, 1:13 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: 929 Fuel system issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonF166 View Post
Simple. Floppy ground coming from the pump - fixed!
Excellent :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
f4i headlight/fuel issue vietladin Honda CBR 600 7 01-29-2008 8:05 PM
2000 F4 Fuel Issue. HELP! modigity Honda CBR 600 11 03-15-2007 10:33 AM
Fuel leak issue, help please! robbied Honda FireBlade 5 02-05-2007 7:13 AM
Fuel pump issue? klayman Honda FireBlade 5 09-27-2006 9:03 PM
ARGH!#@#! Fuel Pump Issue victoRR Honda FireBlade 15 10-09-2004 3:57 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome