Track Gearing Change - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-26-2009, 1:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Track Gearing Change

Just came off my second 2 day track day stint at Buttonwillow Raceway in central Cal. I've decided I want to change up the gearing for this track so as to have a taller first gear. I believe the stock sprocket set up is 16/42. I've thought of running a 15 front and a 42 rear, perhaps changing to a 520 chain. Does anyone know if there are any problems going to a smaller drive sprocket up front. Does it make more sense to go down a few teeth at the rear instead? I havent really considered going with a taller first gear on the tranny. I'd probably just prefer swapping out sprockets based on where I'm riding. Any recommendations on brands? I'm considering Driven sprockets and a DID or RK chain, probably one of the higher end versions on the latter. Do the aluminum sprockets hold up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-26-2009, 1:58 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Track Gearing Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbiker View Post
Just came off my second 2 day track day stint at Buttonwillow Raceway in central Cal. I've decided I want to change up the gearing for this track so as to have a taller first gear. I believe the stock sprocket set up is 16/42. I've thought of running a 15 front and a 42 rear, perhaps changing to a 520 chain. Does anyone know if there are any problems going to a smaller drive sprocket up front. Does it make more sense to go down a few teeth at the rear instead? I havent really considered going with a taller first gear on the tranny. I'd probably just prefer swapping out sprockets based on where I'm riding. Any recommendations on brands? I'm considering Driven sprockets and a DID or RK chain, probably one of the higher end versions on the latter. Do the aluminum sprockets hold up?
For a taller first gear you need to raise the gearing by increasing the front or decreasing the rear sprocket teeth.
It depends on what the highest speed is around the circuit but I recommend gearing _down_ to avoid using first gear if possible.
Aluminium sprockets of good quality and a 520 race chain are fine.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 4 Old 04-26-2009, 2:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
For a taller first gear you need to raise the gearing by increasing the front or decreasing the rear sprocket teeth.
It depends on what the highest speed is around the circuit but I recommend gearing _down_ to avoid using first gear if possible.
Aluminium sprockets of good quality and a 520 race chain are fine.
Thanks BladeRacer. Not sure why I brain farted on the up/down, but your suggestion of gearing down makes a lot of sense now that i think about it. The track I'm referring to doesnt have a super long straight in the two configurations we've run, so limiting top speed does not come into play.

So then, gearing down would again mean decreasing the front or increasing the rear. If anyone has run a smaller front sprocket, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-26-2009, 2:31 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbiker View Post
Thanks BladeRacer. Not sure why I brain farted on the up/down, but your suggestion of gearing down makes a lot of sense now that i think about it. The track I'm referring to doesnt have a super long straight in the two configurations we've run, so limiting top speed does not come into play.

So then, gearing down would again mean decreasing the front or increasing the rear. If anyone has run a smaller front sprocket, let me know.
There is no problem in going down one tooth on the front. Two may be possible but may cause faster wear of the swingarm buffer rubber.
The gap between first and second is the widest in the box and has neutral between them so it's generally best to try to avoid the lower gears where possible.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page