New chain installation - usual luck - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-08-2003, 9:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

New chain installation - usual luck

Well, attempted to install my new Tsubaki (530 size) chain yesterday. Borrowed the rivet tool from local shop (good guys). I used the dremel tool to cut off flanges of old master link. From there I was lost! I could not get the pins out no matter what. I don't think the rivet tool had the accessory to remove pins and I tried nail punch, drill bits (got to get a new set! ). Anyway, totally frustrated I said, I wonder if the dremel could cut through the chain plates. Sure enough that tool kicks arse! So on to installing the chain and master link and of course it's a pain in the but. Stupid O-rings kept sliding off center when attempted to compress with tool. I also kept thinking there's no way I'm going to compress this thing in far enough to get the pins to extend through plate to eventually flare out with tool.

Well I gave up. Then last night I'm thinking - you don't think they sent me a 520 size master link, do ya? Well, did my search this morning. I have, you guessed it, the 520 size master link

Arrrgh!!!! I feel like Charlie Brown sometimes with my luck on purchasing stuff. I emailed them this morning, I'll bet they're going to want to charge me extra for the part and shipping or it'll be backordered for a year. And I have to return the rivet tool only to ask them again once correct part comes in. Only other option is the clip.

It's not as if I'll be riding anytime soon, just frustrating, it seems this crap happens the majority of the time.

Last edited by SuperDave; 12-08-2003 at 9:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-08-2003, 9:46 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: New chain installation - usual luck

At least you're not missing out on prime riding weather
post #3 of 6 Old 12-08-2003, 3:48 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I usually grind the rivet heads off flush with the plate and use a BA screwdriver to pry the plate off. Works for me. When installing, use the plate attachment to press the plate onto the chain and leave it just short of the install position. It will move a little more when you mushroom the rivet heads. Then use the mushrooming tool and expand the rivet. It does not need to expand much, just enough to keep it in place. Use a vernier caliper to verify the distance between plates on the master cylinder link is the same distance as another link and you are done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-08-2003, 4:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULEWZ
I usually grind the rivet heads off flush with the plate and use a BA screwdriver to pry the plate off. Works for me. When installing, use the plate attachment to press the plate onto the chain and leave it just short of the install position. It will move a little more when you mushroom the rivet heads. Then use the mushrooming tool and expand the rivet. It does not need to expand much, just enough to keep it in place. Use a vernier caliper to verify the distance between plates on the master cylinder link is the same distance as another link and you are done.
Thanks, one problem seems to be the leverage when using the tool while chain is just hanging there. What is a BA screwdriver? I tried briefly with a regular screwdriver but couldn't budge it, again hard to get decent leverage.And since I don't have a vernier caliper can I just use a simple guage? I never thought about checking for equal spacing but sounds like a good suggestion. Keeping those O-Rings from slipping is driving me nuts. I used a little grease but have already destroyed (1) O-Ring, it slipped as I was tightening the tool and pinched it in half. The lip that the O-Ring goes onto does not hold it, instead it wants to just pop right back off. Are you tightening the rivet tool and doing all your work while the chain is on the sprockets or wrapping it around the swingarm (no sprockets) and having chain on the floor?

Sorry these questions are all over the place. Thanks

Last edited by SuperDave; 12-08-2003 at 4:02 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-08-2003, 4:11 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave
What is a BA screwdriver?
I love puzzles, I bet it is a Big Azz screwdriver....

Can you say 6 in a ROW!!!!
post #6 of 6 Old 12-08-2003, 4:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavic
I love puzzles, I bet it is a Big Azz screwdriver....
Good one! (Sorry - I'm a little slow on Mondays, well, and Tuesdays, and ... )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page