01 929rr ordered slip on. should I get PC too? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 04-27-2009, 7:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

01 929rr ordered slip on. should I get PC too?

I've got a two bros m5 bolt on exhaust coming in the mail. I am not sure how much to expect from it. maybe 2-3 hp throughout the range and 4-5 up top?

I was wondering how much more would I get by getting a power commander to tune for the slip on or if tis just a waste of cash only tuning for the slip on.

I searched around and couldn't find any real numbers. I am getting the slip on mostly for sound but it would be nice to know what it afforded me as far as power and if the PC would be worth it in addition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-27-2009, 8:07 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to WyoJames Send a message via MSN to WyoJames
Re: 01 929rr ordered slip on. should I get PC too?

Get a pcIII
post #3 of 22 Old 04-27-2009, 9:58 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.k View Post
I've got a two bros m5 bolt on exhaust coming in the mail. I am not sure how much to expect from it. maybe 2-3 hp throughout the range and 4-5 up top?

I was wondering how much more would I get by getting a power commander to tune for the slip on or if tis just a waste of cash only tuning for the slip on.

I searched around and couldn't find any real numbers. I am getting the slip on mostly for sound but it would be nice to know what it afforded me as far as power and if the PC would be worth it in addition.
Wait and see how you like it first as it may run just fine.
Your numbers are realistic.
The PC _might_ nett you slightly more peak power but how often do you ride around 11000rpm?
The PC is more for smoothing the power curve to improve drivability.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Last edited by bladeracer; 04-28-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 04-28-2009, 4:13 AM Thread Starter

the 929 seems to be pretty damn smooth in the power band. I will see if the slip on changes anything. the only issue i have with the powerband is the abruptness when you crack the throttle in 1st but thats to be expected from a injected bike from 01 or so I'm led to believe. i think i would be more likly to drop one tooth on the front sprocket and net significantly more acceleration than the power commander and pipe combined. And since i already have a speedo healer on the way that may be the best choise if I'm actualy interested in improving acceleration.

just so i have it strait here. The PCIII will maybe net me 2-4 more peak HP and maybe 1-2 in the middle but will mainly smooth out any blips or rough spots in the power band? will it smooth out the on/off nature of the throttle in low gear?
post #5 of 22 Old 04-28-2009, 4:24 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
the 929 seems to be pretty damn smooth in the power band. I will see if the slip on changes anything. the only issue i have with the powerband is the abruptness when you crack the throttle in 1st but thats to be expected from a injected bike from 01 or so I'm led to believe. i think i would be more likly to drop one tooth on the front sprocket and new significantly more acceleration than the power commander and since i already have a speedo healer on the way that may be the best choise if I'm actualy interested in improving acceleration.

just so i have it strait here. The PCIII will maybe net me 2-4 more peak HP and maybe 1-2 in the middle but will mainly smooth out any blips or rough spots in the power band? will it smooth out the on/off nature of the throttle in low gear?
The 929 is very smooth. It is not a race bike so it's not as highly tuned as a 750 putting out the same power.
I recommend dropping a front tooth at least on all sportsbikes as it does make a much nicer ride and none of us need the topend ability.
I have the '98 GSXR750 as well which has the first-gen Suzuki FI and the Blade is nowhere near as on/off as that is.
I would tend to reverse those numbers and expect more gain in the midrange than the topend. If the muffler is less restrictive than the OEM one then you will likely lose some midrange.
Yes, the PC is the best way to smooth the power curve.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 22 Old 04-28-2009, 4:31 AM Thread Starter

well I think I will put the two brothers pipe on there and ride it for a little while. maybe take it to get a dyno run and see how the power delivery is and a few months down the road when I have already re geared it and feel like spending more money i will maybe look into getting a PCIII.

The PCIII only dose fuel right? you need another module for spark that's another 300 or something right? I heard tale that there was a PCIIIR that did both but I am not sure if it works on the 929 or not?

I tend to have a problem with spending money on stuff. I have like 10k in parts in my car so its a fair bet that if I come across a used full system exhaust I will buy it if the timing is right. I'm not sure how smart is is spending 1k-2k for 12-16 hp so maybe my better judgment will take over and i will call it goof at the sprocket and slip on
post #7 of 22 Old 04-28-2009, 5:01 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
The PCIII only dose fuel right? you need another module for spark that's another 300 or something right? I heard tale that there was a PCIIIR that did both but I am not sure if it works on the 929 or not?

The PC2 and PC3R both allow ignition mapping but it isn't required unless you do some serious engine modification.
I run a PC2 on my 929.

post #8 of 22 Old 04-28-2009, 9:08 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Send a message via MSN to Jetpilot07

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Wait and see how you like it first as it may run just fine.
Your numbers are realistic.
The PC _might_ net you slightly more peak power but how often do you ride around 11000rpm?
The PC is more for smoothing the power curve to improve drivability.
he's 100% correct, i installed a slip-on on my bike and a few other slight mods, and i didn't need the PCIII, now if you go with a full exhaust, and other real serious mods, the PCIII is a must.

DO YOUR DUTY IN ALL THINGS, YOU CANNOT DO MORE, YOU SHOULD NEVER WISH TO DO LESS!

GENERAL ROBERT E. LEE
post #9 of 22 Old 05-17-2009, 5:52 PM Thread Starter

bike feels slower now. probably just me getting used to the acceleration.

I have a california model as I discovered so the back pressure differance is probably more with that cat.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-18-2009, 2:28 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
bike feels slower now. probably just me getting used to the acceleration.

I have a california model as I discovered so the back pressure differance is probably more with that cat.
Do you mean it feels slower now that you've installed an aftermarket muffler?
What usually happens is you lose midrange and gain some topend so it may feel "slower" in the midrange.
I've never seen a 929 cat but I wouldn't expect any significant difference in flow. They're not usually very restrictive.

post #11 of 22 Old 05-18-2009, 5:57 AM Thread Starter

I found a dynojet here in town so I'm gona go down ther with both pipes and see. I bid on a used PC3 usb too so If I win that I can get it tuned there too.
post #12 of 22 Old 05-18-2009, 7:01 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Don't even think about getting it tuned unil you've got the PC3USB and a set of air filters fitted.
The difference will astound you. Recently done it and recommend it.
post #13 of 22 Old 05-18-2009, 7:02 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Muff View Post
Don't even think about getting it tuned unil you've got the PC3USB and a set of air filters fitted.
The difference will astound you. Recently done it and recommend it.
Actually, it's impossible to tune it without a PC :-)
As for the filters, stick with OEM but I would recommend new ones before dyno tuning.

post #14 of 22 Old 05-18-2009, 4:45 PM Thread Starter

I'll have to see how new the filter is. they guy I got the bike from said it was recently serviced but who knows. do you have to lift the tank to do the filter?

I'm gona call the local dyno shop tommarow and see how much it is gona be. hopefully I winn that pcIII usb and I can get it all done and some data on the pipes too
post #15 of 22 Old 05-18-2009, 5:21 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
do you have to lift the tank to do the filter?
Yep. Prop the tank up (make sure it's not full) and remove the lid of the airbox with a long phillips screwdriver.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page