Changing the oil on the 09....Am I stupid?... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 04-28-2009, 8:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Changing the oil on the 09....Am I stupid?...

Right...

I've had the 09 blade for ..... a few weeks, and I changed the oil/filter at 550kms or so after initial break in. I'm up to 1200km's or so, and thinking about a 1500km change. I have, however, been paranoid about oil consumption as the 08 had a few problems from what I've read. At any rate, the 'dipstick' method is a right pain in the ass compared to the window check, and it's been giving me different readings...

I went for a quick 200km ride on the weekend and had the thing from medium to high rpm, so this morning I did a check on the oil. As per the manual, got it warm (about 70 degrees), let it sit for 5 mins, and checked it. Was showing bottom third of the dipstick. After the initial tantrum I threw thinking it was burning oil, I decided to check it again after work. I rode to work (25kms or so), let the bike sit for 10-15 mins, and then checked it again (with a friends help holding it upright). This time it showed full.

Now I'm guessing I must be a bit stupid, but why would it not be showing full the first time? Should I only be taking a reading after the bike is completely warmed up (as in 10min+ ride)? Is it an inaccurate reading if I took the reading 15 minutes after stopping the bike?....

I thought I'd double/triple check this arvo. So tried the 5 mins running/3 mins stopped check.. and bottom half again. And then when home it read full.

A bit of info as to why it's reading low when I check as per the manual would be great.

Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-28-2009, 8:04 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Changing the oil on the 09....Am I stupid?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMurray View Post
At any rate, the 'dipstick' method is a right pain in the ass compared to the window check, and it's been giving me different readings...
As long as you leave it long enough for the oil to drain from the head back into the sump you should get similar readings.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 20 Old 04-28-2009, 8:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
As long as you leave it long enough for the oil to drain from the head back into the sump you should get similar readings.
Thought maybe it could be something as simple as not holding the dipstick in there long enough... but it's not that thick.....

Would a check in the morning when it's cold be a bad idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-28-2009, 8:11 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thought maybe it could be something as simple as not holding the dipstick in there long enough... but it's not that thick.....

Would a check in the morning when it's cold be a bad idea?
It would be fine :-)
Are you checking with the bike held vertically and not on a rear stand?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 20 Old 04-28-2009, 8:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It would be fine :-)
Are you checking with the bike held vertically and not on a rear stand?
Getting the Mrs to sit on it and hold it upright...... and she's getting sick of burning her legs every time I check it after a ride....
post #6 of 20 Old 04-28-2009, 8:19 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Getting the Mrs to sit on it and hold it upright...... and she's getting sick of burning her legs every time I check it after a ride....
All that really matters is that the bike is in the same position if you want comparable readings :-)

post #7 of 20 Old 04-29-2009, 12:20 AM

Reputation Power: 17

yeah i've always been told to check oil cold, and everything else hot...?
post #8 of 20 Old 04-29-2009, 12:24 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Aren't these bikes supposed to be dipped when they're on the side stand? Can't imagine that Honda would design something that needed holding up with one hand whilst checking the oil level with the other hand?
post #9 of 20 Old 04-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseyboy View Post
Aren't these bikes supposed to be dipped when they're on the side stand? Can't imagine that Honda would design something that needed holding up with one hand whilst checking the oil level with the other hand?
I'm not aware of any bikes that check oil level when it isn't vertical and on the ground.

post #10 of 20 Old 04-29-2009, 6:05 AM Thread Starter

Checked it again this morning cold, and the thing was reading at about 4/5 up between low and high. So I still dont get it. Both times after taking it when it was fully warmed (running up to 105 degrees), and then let sit, it's showed full, but then cold (when all oil should have drained down into the sump) it's showing about 80%.....

Any thoughts?
post #11 of 20 Old 04-29-2009, 6:06 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Checked it again this morning cold, and the thing was reading at about 4/5 up between low and high. So I still dont get it. Both times after taking it when it was fully warmed (running up to 105 degrees), and then let sit, it's showed full, but then cold (when all oil should have drained down into the sump) it's showing about 80%.....

Any thoughts?
Nope - no clues at all sorry.

post #12 of 20 Old 04-29-2009, 7:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Nope - no clues at all sorry.
Hmmm.... I guess I'll just have to go searching the manual for the 'mysterious oil hiding monsters of mischief'.....
post #13 of 20 Old 04-29-2009, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseyboy View Post
there is a certain procedure outlined in the manual on how to check the oil level. It has to be run and allowed to sit and then checked while while straight up, not on the stand. just ride it and quit worrying about it!
post #14 of 20 Old 04-29-2009, 3:26 PM

Reputation Power: 17

i don't think you really have much to worry about, running it a little low won't really hurt anything as long as you're changing your oil on time. to me it sounds like you have enough in there as it is though..
post #15 of 20 Old 04-29-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I'm not aware of any bikes that check oil level when it isn't vertical and on the ground.
Hey Bladeracer- the Buells funnily enough- they should be on their sidestand when checking the (hot) oil.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page