What front wheels will fit a 929? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-28-2009, 9:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

What front wheels will fit a 929?

First of all I would like to say hi to everybody. Iím sjakov from the Netherlands and I own a 929.
Really love to ride this bike but itís way to crowded here and there are speed bumps everywhere so thatís one reason why I do trackdays more often.
For these trackdays I would like to have an extra pair of wheels fitted with sticky tyres and full floating discs on the front.
I allready bought a rear wheel form a 2004 CBR1000RR (SC57) which should fit with some other spacers.
Itís hard to find used wheels here which are actually from a 929 (SC44) so i was wondering what other honda front wheels will fit a 929? 954ís and SC57ís front wheel will fit for sure iíve heard but what about a cbr600f4, a blackbird or a firestorm for example?

I thinks itís pretty clear that English is not my native tongue so i hope you guys can understand what Iíve written

bye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-28-2009, 9:26 AM

Reputation Power: 22

Send a message via MSN to Jetpilot07
Re: What front wheels will fit a 929?

you might need to chat with BLADERACER.....

DO YOUR DUTY IN ALL THINGS, YOU CANNOT DO MORE, YOU SHOULD NEVER WISH TO DO LESS!

GENERAL ROBERT E. LEE
post #3 of 13 Old 04-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjakov View Post
First of all I would like to say hi to everybody. I’m sjakov from the Netherlands and I own a 929.
Really love to ride this bike but it’s way to crowded here and there are speed bumps everywhere so that’s one reason why I do trackdays more often.
For these trackdays I would like to have an extra pair of wheels fitted with sticky tyres and full floating discs on the front.
I allready bought a rear wheel form a 2004 CBR1000RR (SC57) which should fit with some other spacers.
It’s hard to find used wheels here which are actually from a 929 (SC44) so i was wondering what other honda front wheels will fit a 929? 954’s and SC57’s front wheel will fit for sure i’ve heard but what about a cbr600f4, a blackbird or a firestorm for example?

I thinks it’s pretty clear that English is not my native tongue so i hope you guys can understand what I’ve written

bye
First, the 929 already has fully floated discs as do pretty much all bikes since the late eighties.
All 1000RR wheels to at least '07 are a direct bolt-on swap for the 929/954. The axles, spacers, cush drive, sprocket carrier and rear disc are _exactly_ the same parts (front and rear sprockets are also the same pattern). The bolt pattern on the front wheel is the same so you can run your 330mm 929/954 discs. '04/'05 run 310mm discs and '06/'07 run 320mm discs which you can also run if you wish.
I run '06 wheels on my 929.

Ten eerste, de 929 heeft al volledig zweefden schijven net als vrijwel alle fietsen sinds de late jaren tachtig.
Alle 1000RR wielen aan ten minste'07 zijn een directe bolt-on swap voor de 929/954. De assen, tussenschotten, Cush station sprocket carrier-en achterzijde schijfje zijn _exactly_ dezelfde onderdelen (voorste en achterste tandwielen zijn ook hetzelfde patroon). De bout patroon op het voorwiel is hetzelfde, zodat u kunt uw 330mm 929/954 schijven. '04 /'05 Draaien 310mm schijven en'06 /'07 draaien 320mm schijven die u kunt ook als u dat wenst.
Ik run'06 wielen op mijn 929.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-29-2009, 3:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanx for the reply and thanx again for the translation but i think it's a good exercise for me to keep it in english.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
First, the 929 already has fully floated discs as do pretty much all bikes since the late eighties.

Really? I didn't know that. I have had full floating brembo discs on my aprilia (SL1000) falco and you could hear them rattle. Since i didn't hear this sound on my 929 i assumed these discs aren't floating ones.

What's the use of aftermarket brake discs then? Besides the fact that it looks good...
I see you race with a 929 bladeracer Do you race with stock discs?
During my last trackday my brakes stopped working at 130 mph (150 meters in front of a hairpin) due to fading so that's why i really want to make sure my brakes will work fine next trackday. Do you have any tips to prevent fading?
I allready have installed a radial brake master cylinder and steel brake lines and i have just bought carbon brake pads.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-29-2009, 4:17 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjakov View Post
Thanx for the reply and thanx again for the translation but i think it's a good exercise for me to keep it in english.

Really? I didn't know that. I have had full floating brembo discs on my aprilia (SL1000) falco and you could hear them rattle. Since i didn't hear this sound on my 929 i assumed these discs aren't floating ones.

What's the use of aftermarket brake discs then? Besides the fact that it looks good...
I see you race with a 929 bladeracer Do you race with stock discs?
During my last trackday my brakes stopped working at 130 mph (150 meters in front of a hairpin) due to fading so that's why i really want to make sure my brakes will work fine next trackday. Do you have any tips to prevent fading?
I allready have installed a radial brake master cylinder and steel brake lines and i have just bought carbon brake pads.
I just thought the translation might reduce the possibility of confusion :-)
Generally, the OEM floaters have slightly tighter rivets compared to race dics purely to reduce that rattling but they tend to drag more than less rigid discs. You can loosen them up yourself though if you wish but it's not recommended for road use. As the discs float around they can tend to knock the pistons back into the calipers. On the track you are constantly using the brakes so it's not a problem but on the road, it could be quite a surprise to come to the end of a long highway to find yourself rapidly pumping the brake lever to get pressure :-)
I think the aftermarket discs grew when OEM discs were tending to be stainless steel so they looked pretty at the expense of less bite. Cast iron discs are much more effective but tend to get surface rust very easily. Now most sportsbikes are running better quality discs but they can still be fairly heavy so as to last a reasonable lifetime of road use.
Race discs you can wear out in one season on the track.
Some may also provide a weight reduction which greatly improves frontend suspension feel but check actual weights before buying. EBC Pro-Lite's for example are heavier than the OEM discs. Axis do some very nice discs but they're expensive. You can also buy floating rear discs now which really just reduces the weight by running an aluminium carrier. Since I don't use the rear brake I make my own aluminium rear discs which are about one quarter of the weight of the OEM ones.
My racebike has stock brakes and suspension other than a rear disc I cut out of 5mm aluminium plate. Just the basic mods of full system and PC2. My discs though are quite badly warped and are under minimum thickness but we only do sprint races so they still work fine.
Brake fade is a result of heat either boiling the fluid or glazing or warping the discs. When you change pad material you should scrub the discs thoroughly with brake cleaner to remove deposits of the previous pads.
As the discs and pads wear you get more heat as there is less metal to soak it away. That heat then boils the fluid which creates gas bubbles which ruins the fluid so it must be replaced. It should be replaced every year anyway as it doesn't last long.
When replacing the pads you should remove them and then use the lever to press the pistons _slightly_ further out of the calipers and give them a thorough clean with brake cleaner and some rag or very, very fine paper if the brake cleaner isn't sufficient but be careful not to remove _any_ metal as they are a close tolerance part. This will prevent damaging the seals as the new pads will press the dirty pistons deeper into the calipers.
I have tried carbon pads but didn't find any advantage at all. I generally run EBC HH's but I'll happily run whatever is on hand if I don't have HH's.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 13 Old 04-29-2009, 9:18 AM

Reputation Power: 22

Send a message via MSN to Jetpilot07

WOW, THAT'S A MOUTHFULL

DO YOUR DUTY IN ALL THINGS, YOU CANNOT DO MORE, YOU SHOULD NEVER WISH TO DO LESS!

GENERAL ROBERT E. LEE
post #7 of 13 Old 04-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpilot07 View Post
WOW, THAT'S A MOUTHFULL
He said he wanted to practise his English ;-)

post #8 of 13 Old 04-01-2010, 2:59 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Sorry to bring up an old thread but Im looking for a front wheel for my 954. Dont care on looks or model, need it for the track. So bladeracer you say the 1000rr up to '07 will fit with no modifications? I have an extra set of rotors to mount to whatever rim I find that fits....

post #9 of 13 Old 04-01-2010, 3:27 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITEITUP View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread but Im looking for a front wheel for my 954. Dont care on looks or model, need it for the track. So bladeracer you say the 1000rr up to '07 will fit with no modifications? I have an extra set of rotors to mount to whatever rim I find that fits....
Yep, straight swap.
You can even run the '06/'07 320mm discs if you like.

post #10 of 13 Old 04-01-2010, 5:36 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Thanks

post #11 of 13 Old 01-27-2013, 12:50 PM

Hi guys

Sorry to raise an old thread but I can of find the answer I'm looking for.

First post here so hello to all.

Living in the uk and been riding for 13 years. Started on cbr600's and moved to blades for the past 4 years and will never look back.

Recently purchased a 2012 (2011 model) Repsol fireblade and have some wheels from my old 954, OZ racing forged magnesium I believe 16.5", and I'd love to use them on my Repsol. The rear has gone on a treat with no issues at all. The chain drive and brake disc line up beautifully so I presume all will be well if I get the chance to ride out soon with the poxy uk weather!

The issue is with the front wheel; and as above the standard 2011 rim is 108mm and the 954 OZ magnesium is 116mm. My brother has offered to machine the rim and fit new helicoils, but I wondered if there were slimmer rotors to suit the wheels?? Is the depth of a 954 brake disc less than a RR11? Or are there any rotors available to suit the Application I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance guys and other other tips for improving the Repsol over standard would be appreciated.

Regards

Mark.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-27-2013, 12:51 PM

Oh and I typed that reply on an iPhone 5! Apologies for the typos...
post #13 of 13 Old 01-27-2013, 6:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 77

I know people who have fitted the Sp1 wheels to the 08 but the difficulty is getting the disk central in the caliper, I dont think its an easy excerise.. If its not right in the middle your pads wont wear correctly. Dont know of any disks which can be used but someone else may know more. I know the guy who did the above swapped it all back to stock as he couldnt find a solution.

Bike build Vblog latest Update
http://youtu.be/2ISgxtQXs9o

My 900RR Winter Project
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...er-revamp.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in