Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

plates

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Twincam 
#1 ·
Unmarked police car and large number plates suck, or should i say small number plates gets you into troublewith unmarked police car. Please post your opiniun on number plates. Big or Small which do you perfere.

#3 ·
#7 ·
sorry about that, over here in little old england number plates have to be a certain MOT UK car and vehicle MOT information equipment car servicing parts and spares - exhaust system size and the letters and and numbers have to be a certain size. what people do over here is put smaller number plates with smaller numbers and letters. but the police don't like it and fine you £30
I don't see your point exactly.
Don't they do the same thing if you decide you want to do 65 in a 60 zone though?
Our plate dimensions are also set by law as I assume it is everywhere.

#4 ·
Just had my bike tested. The information in that link is no longer valid. Any bike registered after 2001 must have a standard size plate, with no border or fancy font for the lettering. It must also bear the name and the postcode of the plate manufacturer and the British Standard code for number plates. It can, however, have the blue panel for GB or EURO down the left hand side.

Had a long chat with the tester who said that there are more things to fail the bike on, regarding the number plate, than the rest of the bike. Apparently down the automatic number plate recognition cameras now!!

#6 ·
Whats wrong with using the legal plates? Must be an England thing because there aren't people throwing small plates on bikes to try to make them harder to see. But then again, the bike plates are smaller than car plates to begin with

#9 ·
I agree the UK plates are enormous and somebody really should be designing something better.
In another ten years they'll probably need even more digits and they'll go to three lines of text which will make them totally useless as no witness will ever be able to remember the whole plate and the speed cameras will need wider angle lenses :)

#21 ·
:hmm: .... the standard plate is just too big and usualy spoils the bikes looks IMO......

I go down a size when i can:thumb:

:plus1:

Err, sorry officer, I bought the bike like it... I'll get them changed right away!

Mine Passat has pressed aluminium german styled plates on it, and my Caravelle has again pressed aluminium plates but in black/silver. (I am asking for trouble but my god does it transform them - I keep the OEM's in the cars too)

#14 ·
I've got a 9"x2" plate on mine. Probably the smallest plate you can get. Standard size plates are c**p and spoil the whole back end of the bike, after all isn't that the reason why the first thing we all change is a tail tidy. Not much point spending money on that if your going to leave standard plate on. I've had a small plate on mine from the minute i got home from dealer....fingers crossed....touch wood....blah..blah.. no bother up till now.:smilebig:

#16 ·
yes the uk standard plates are too big, but some bikers take the piss putting tiny ones on. im a middle of the way man, mines just a bit smaller so ive not atttracted the local fuzz attention, even when ive been stopped by them. while you think its harsh to get a ticket, dont forget the anpr was brought in to catch criminals, tie suspects to murder, robbery scenes, so the enforcement of people possibly trying to hide their bike (aka get a way vehicle) is a valid one for our police. dont forget speeders will use small ones too! have u seen the plates that flip down at the press off a button, now thats a compromise.....

#23 ·
It is a well used line (and 99.9% they have heard it before :()

I'm not condoning illegal activity, but if you are pulled, try to be as honest as possible (if you have done something stupid i.e. ran a red light, they probably have it on camera so just save yourself the hassle and put your hands up)

Its helped me in situations.

Both the Hornet and Blade have number plates which do not follow their (as in DVLA) rules (their sizes are fractions smaller and do not have the post codes etc) but I did actually buy them like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.