CBR wont start - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 05-19-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

CBR wont start

I have a 2003 954, bought it salvaged, everything was fine for two weeks started up great and ran perfect even at high speeds.

Monday I turned my bike on at 5 let it idle for a few minutes than ran out to grab some chain lube, and other things for my bike. I came back at 630 and it wouldnt start just kept trying to. It popped a few times and then quit even trying to pop. Before i turned my bike off the first time it gave me a little trouble on idleing but i adjusted my throttle and it was perfect.. Anyways I should have given up because all i did was run the battery out and maybe flood the motor.

Anyways today I tried to start her up with a full battery trickle charged all night, and she tried and back fired twice and then just kept trying.. Sounded like only 1 or 2 spark plugs were trying.

Then I just gave up and figure maybe it will get better. This is where im at right now, ive tried checking every wire i know of but nothing is working.. I figure it may need new plugs what do you think???

Thanks guys, Dom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: CBR wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtheitalian View Post
Before i turned my bike off the first time it gave me a little trouble on idleing but i adjusted my throttle and it was perfect.
Do you mean that you adjusted the idle?
Maybe try turning the idle up one or two turns and see if it'll start then. Don't give it any throttle.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 29 Old 05-20-2009, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Let me clarify, When i got the bike the dumbass painted it and put the cable under the gas tank not through the slot. Well i put it through the slot and adjusted the handle grip, But in the wrong position the throttle will stick and not spring back. In the right position it will spring back, I wasnt paying attention and it was stuck but still started.

Now its in the right position so that it will idle at around 1500 rpms.

Yet it will not start for **** at all right now, i hoenrstly am happy it backfired atleast its a start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 05-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Let me clarify, When i got the bike the dumbass painted it and put the cable under the gas tank not through the slot. Well i put it through the slot and adjusted the handle grip, But in the wrong position the throttle will stick and not spring back. In the right position it will spring back, I wasnt paying attention and it was stuck but still started.

Now its in the right position so that it will idle at around 1500 rpms.

Yet it will not start for **** at all right now, i hoenrstly am happy it backfired atleast its a start
What slot are you talking about?
Was it idling so high before you adjusted it?
It should idle around 1200rpm when it's warmed up.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 29 Old 05-20-2009, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

No it wasnt idling high, its not a problem of idling high but a problem of the throttle cable sticking and not allowing for any spring back on the handle. Meaning when i go full throttle it sticks and wont spring back, half way and so forth. When i twist it higher it springs back. But sometimes i have to make sure it idles correctly.

Theres a slot in the gas tank for wires to pass through its about 2 inchs high and 1/2 inch wide.

Anyways it has never been a problem, but now it will not start.

Im wondering if my smart plugs are fouled/bad/ not cleaned. Should i start next with cleaning the plugs or getting new ones? Also if I have flooded the engine so badly that it wont start becuase of this. It may explain the backfiring?

Have you ever heard of this problem btw
post #6 of 29 Old 05-20-2009, 12:45 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
No it wasnt idling high, its not a problem of idling high but a problem of the throttle cable sticking and not allowing for any spring back on the handle. Meaning when i go full throttle it sticks and wont spring back, half way and so forth. When i twist it higher it springs back. But sometimes i have to make sure it idles correctly.

Theres a slot in the gas tank for wires to pass through its about 2 inchs high and 1/2 inch wide.

Anyways it has never been a problem, but now it will not start.

Im wondering if my smart plugs are fouled/bad/ not cleaned. Should i start next with cleaning the plugs or getting new ones? Also if I have flooded the engine so badly that it wont start becuase of this. It may explain the backfiring?

Have you ever heard of this problem btw
I don't know this slot you're talking about so I can't visualise what was involved in re-routing the cables.
Did you have to disconnect the cables from the throttle housing or throttle bodies to get them through this slot?
The throttle position is important for starting. If the throttle is open the choke circuits may not be working.

post #7 of 29 Old 05-20-2009, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

nope nothing was disconnected.. only the 2 bolts holding the right grip on to move the throttle on the handle bar. It is in the fully down throttle position..
post #8 of 29 Old 05-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
nope nothing was disconnected.. only the 2 bolts holding the right grip on to move the throttle on the handle bar. It is in the fully down throttle position..
Well, I don't know this slot so maybe put the cables back where they were and see if the problem continues. It _sounds_ to me like it's trying to start without using the choke circuits which makes me think the throttle plates aren't closed.
The cables should simply lie across the top of the frame rail and pass under the tank just to the right side of the steering head and under the bottom of the airbox to the throttle bodies.

post #9 of 29 Old 05-20-2009, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

that could be it.. Although i dont think it is but i will try to do what you said. If not that what could it be? Spark plugs?

On 2nd thought this seems like it could be it. I will be checking at 8 am to see what is going on .
post #10 of 29 Old 05-20-2009, 1:03 AM Thread Starter

if that doesnt work is there anyway i can fix the autochoke on the bike? So that it will start?
post #11 of 29 Old 05-20-2009, 1:16 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
if that doesnt work is there anyway i can fix the autochoke on the bike? So that it will start?
It would depend on what is preventing it working.
the most common problem is throttle cable adjustment or sticking cables.
If somebody has messed with the linkages on the throttle bodies that would be a harder job to fix.

post #12 of 29 Old 05-20-2009, 1:19 AM Thread Starter

i dont think they messed with the throttle bodies but... who knows. I may adjust it to its original position that it was in when i bought it then try to start.

Would taking this to a honda techinician turn out better? I just dont want to spend 500 to 1000 on them ripping me off.
post #13 of 29 Old 05-20-2009, 1:27 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Would taking this to a honda techinician turn out better? I just dont want to spend 500 to 1000 on them ripping me off.
If you know somebody that's good you could try them but generally I have zero regard for most mechanics abilities to diagnose or fix problems.

post #14 of 29 Old 05-20-2009, 1:32 AM Thread Starter

Thats how i feel too.. I feel like they would just check the most obvious change them all out then charge me for it..
post #15 of 29 Old 05-20-2009, 6:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Assuming the bat is healthy you should get a decent period of cranking out of it.
What you describe is typical symptoms of either lack of fuel in the cylinder, engine flooding, or malfunctioning spark plugs.
I assume your bike is fuel injected.
After a starting attempt take a spark plugs out. If you can smell petrol on them the you don't have fuel starvation.
Check the condition of the plugs. It would make sense to have a new set at hand for replacement.
If you get a very stong smell of petrol, chances are the engine is flooded. This is unusual for a fuel injected one but it happens because of faults with the ignition system. With all the plugs out leave the bike alone for a while for the petrol to evaporate as mouch as poss.
While waiting, check you ign sys. the biggest culprits are condensation in the system: cables, connections ... What is the ignition sys on your bike? 1 coil + HT leads or low voltage leads to individual coils.
Chances are that with an aired cylinder & new/ clean spark plugs the engine will restart. If so have your ig sys checked.
These are only the classic symptoms worth checking out for. Your problem me be router elsewhere. Good luck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page