just replaced the gasket on my 600F2 and now its backfiring please HELP!! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-21-2009, 3:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

just replaced the gasket on my 600F2 and now its backfiring please HELP!!

Me and my friend just replaced my head gasket and we put everything back together just like how it use to be and we even check the timing, but for some reason the bike is hella backfiring and we can hear some weird noise inside the motor....can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-21-2009, 6:36 AM

Reputation Power: 59

Re: just replaced the gasket on my 600F2 and now its backfiring please HELP!!

Maybe the timing is out?

What sort of noise can you hear? Was anything else touched when you did the job?

Also, was the correct Head Gasket used? I replaced one on a 93 Golf (I was supplied one which was thiner than the OEM - thought it might be new technology so I whacked it in and thought nothing of it) and behold, there was a clinking noise when the piston came up and hit it.

"Second is the first of the losers..."
post #3 of 9 Old 05-21-2009, 6:53 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikal_21 View Post
Me and my friend just replaced my head gasket and we put everything back together just like how it use to be and we even check the timing, but for some reason the bike is hella backfiring and we can hear some weird noise inside the motor....can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks
First, what was the reason you replaced the gasket and was it backfiring before?
Is it banging out of the muffler or carbs?
Is it running while backfiring or only backfiring without starting?
A "weird noise" is a bit vague for diagnosis, can you be more specific?
Where is the noise, what does it sound like and does anything make it change?
At a wild guess I'd be checking the cam timing and tensioner and the valve clearances.
Are the cams in correctly (EX at the front, IN at the rear)?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-21-2009, 6:51 PM Thread Starter

The reason i changed the head gasket is because coolant and oil were mixing together...After putting the new one in and putting everything together and checking the timing...the bike started and backfiring so I took the head and check the timing again but its okay...so the second time i started the bike it was still backfiring but a little less and then i notices a strange clicking sound in the motor like something hitting each other and it gets louder when i pull the throttle...
post #5 of 9 Old 05-21-2009, 6:56 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
The reason i changed the head gasket is because coolant and oil were mixing together...After putting the new one in and putting everything together and checking the timing...the bike started and backfiring so I took the head and check the timing again but its okay...so the second time i started the bike it was still backfiring but a little less and then i notices a strange clicking sound in the motor like something hitting each other and it gets louder when i pull the throttle...
At a guess the clicking could be the pistons hitting the valves if the timing is out.
The F2 I believe has very similar cams and they can be put in the wrong positions. Is the IN cam at the back?
When checking the timing you are doing it with the #1 cylinder (LHS) at TDC?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 9 Old 05-21-2009, 7:03 PM Thread Starter

I haven't checked the cam if its put on wrong but i did check the timing and the #1 cylinder (LHS) at TDC
post #7 of 9 Old 05-21-2009, 7:17 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I haven't checked the cam if its put on wrong but i did check the timing and the #1 cylinder (LHS) at TDC
Any chance you can take photos of the cam lobes on #1 when it's at TDC and the timing marks on the sprockets?
I don't have an F1 or F2 manual.
One other point is that I believe both cam sprockets are identical parts so each will have an EX and IN timing mark on them so be sure you are using the correct marks.

post #8 of 9 Old 05-21-2009, 7:27 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Is the clicking noise very metally? What did the new gasket look like compared to the old? Was it thicker/thinner?

"Second is the first of the losers..."
post #9 of 9 Old 05-21-2009, 9:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Any chance you can take photos of the cam lobes on #1 when it's at TDC and the timing marks on the sprockets?
I don't have an F1 or F2 manual.
One other point is that I believe both cam sprockets are identical parts so each will have an EX and IN timing mark on them so be sure you are using the correct marks.
Thanks for helping and i'll have some pictures up once i get home. Yeah the clicking sound is very metallic like sound

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page