Performance Upgrades - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 2:28 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-07-2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Performance Upgrades

I have a 2003 CBR 954 RR that is stock except for a Yoshi slip on. I want to change the whole exhaust out and add a power commander for better performance any ideas out there? Thanks
Go410s is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 3:02 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: Performance Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go410s View Post
I have a 2003 CBR 954 RR that is stock except for a Yoshi slip on. I want to change the whole exhaust out and add a power commander for better performance any ideas out there? Thanks
Ideas regarding what exactly - how to do it?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 3:06 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-07-2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Performance Upgrades

Ideas on what products to buy for the best possible match-up for the upgrade. Guess I should have been more clear on the question for recommendations.
Go410s is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 3:15 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: Performance Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go410s View Post
Ideas on what products to buy for the best possible match-up for the upgrade. Guess I should have been more clear on the question for recommendations.
Well, my only interests are weight loss and power gain - I don't care about looks or sound. For that I'd go with something high-end in full titanium - Akrapovic, Arata, Sato, TiForce, Arrow and the like are good.
You said you have a slip-on but do you mean a bolt-on or a slip-on with a mid-pipe? If it is then you _might_ be able to get just the Yosh header and use your muffler on that. If it's a bolt-on I don't know of any aftermarket headers that take a bolt-on muffler.
I don't know what you mean by match-up since you said it's all stock and you're only fitting an exhaust system. What do you want it to match up with?
The PC3 is purely for tuning whatever modifications you make to the engine.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 3:27 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-07-2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Performance Upgrades

I am willing to do motor work too, for more power. I just don't really know where to start. I've been told that exhaust, PC3, intake and engine modifications (didn't specify exactly what engine modifications), are the way to go but I wanted to get your opinions, I think the guy telling me this trash, is trying to set me up for failure and cause damage to my bike (he is a pure cruiser guy). So any information is a plus for me thanks.
Go410s is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 3:34 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: Performance Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go410s View Post
I am willing to do motor work too, for more power. I just don't really know where to start. I've been told that exhaust, PC3, intake and engine modifications (didn't specify exactly what engine modifications), are the way to go but I wanted to get your opinions, I think the guy telling me this trash, is trying to set me up for failure and cause damage to my bike (he is a pure cruiser guy). So any information is a plus for me thanks.
Okay.
First, what sort of power are you chasing and what's it to be used for?
A full race exhaust system will give you the biggest single increase in peak power although you'll probably lose some midrange.
The PC3 will allow you to regain as much of the losses as possible though.
A set of race cams would probably give you the next biggest gain.
520 chain and lightweight sprockets are good bang for buck.
After that it becomes much more expensive for each additional hp.
Probably the best would be magnesium or carbon wheels as you gain power as well as improve the suspension, braking and steering of the bike.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 3:53 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-07-2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Performance Upgrades

I dont really know what power I am chasing I do want to be able to take it to the track once in awhile and still be able to ride it on the street every day too. Right now I would say I would like more mid to top end power, for now.
The bike is my preferred daily rider (besides my cruiser). I've read that going -1 on the front sprocket is a good upgrade to reach that mid to top increase. But I've never worked on bikes before either. I have worked on cars though (I know bikes are different).
Go410s is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 3:56 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: Performance Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go410s View Post
I dont really know what power I am chasing I do want to be able to take it to the track once in awhile and still be able to ride it on the street every day too. Right now I would say I would like more mid to top end power, for now.
The bike is my preferred daily rider (besides my cruiser). I've read that going -1 on the front sprocket is a good upgrade to reach that mid to top increase. But I've never worked on bikes before either. I have worked on cars though (I know bikes are different).
If you haven't been riding long then I wouldn't waste your money chasing power. Spend your money on track time and learning to ride - that'll let you ride a _lot_ faster than any power gains will.
Dropping a front tooth makes for a more enjoyable bike but it doesn't give you any more power.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 4:09 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-07-2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Performance Upgrades

I appreciate the information. I've been riding street bikes for about 7 years and I never did any upgrades on them before. That's why its new to me in that aspect.

I have been wanting to get on the track to play around more since it is a lot safer than the streets. Thanks.
Go410s is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 4:12 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: Performance Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go410s View Post
I appreciate the information. I've been riding street bikes for about 7 years and I never did any upgrades on them before. That's why its new to me in that aspect.

I have been wanting to get on the track to play around more since it is a lot safer than the streets. Thanks.
All you need to keep in mind is that power does not win races. At some tracks 120hp 600cc Supersport bikes lap faster than the 200hp 1000cc Superbikes :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 9:12 AM
 
Join Date: 04-30-2009
Location: Orrstown, PA
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Performance Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
All you need to keep in mind is that power does not win races. At some tracks 120hp 600cc Supersport bikes lap faster than the 200hp 1000cc Superbikes :-)
Yep I agree. Learn to ride the bike to it's full potential before worrying about adding more power than you can effectively use. Look at the 'Busa. Sure it can go fast in a straight line, but what's the point. Sportbikes are meant to be driven hard and fast in any circumstance.
alottaboost is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 7:23 PM
 
Join Date: 04-20-2009
Location: marysville, CA
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11
 
Re: Performance Upgrades

I know on my blade I would be more interested in dropping weight than adding HP at this point I think.

never should have ridden my buddys 600rr. makes my bike feel soo heavy
matt.k is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 7:29 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: Performance Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.k View Post
I know on my blade I would be more interested in dropping weight than adding HP at this point I think.
Reducing weight is the first thing I do when I get a bike. Everything that isn't required comes off and everything that is required gets lightened or replaced with something that is lighter.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 9:52 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 04-07-2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Performance Upgrades

Thanks everyone for the advice! What are some of the things I could do to reduce the weight?
Go410s is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 05-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 53
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230
                     
Re: Performance Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go410s View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice! What are some of the things I could do to reduce the weight?
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...ckability.html

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
01 CBR929RR,ERION Plastic,OHLIN Suspension, ton of performance upgrades! philbert Motorcycles For Sale 21 04-06-2009 10:15 AM
2007 Blade Performance Upgrades S. A. Kruz General Discussion 17 03-20-2009 6:20 PM
performance upgrades streetweaponRR Introductions 10 02-01-2009 2:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome